Home – New Forums Other discussions OMG… Windows seven has a junk file corrupted…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

WTF??

i cant believe that i just, literally 5 minutes ago, got a call from June.. She was ever so polite in her indian tones and was kind enough to advise me that she worked for a company who looks after windows seven issues on their help desk how great of them!

Apparently my computer (last week) sent them a file advising that i received a bad packet of junk mail (?) and that she wanted to help me rectify this…….

She hung up on me… allow me to share how i tackle these calls… and would love to hear how you also tackle these calls and if they provide you with as much amusement as me… 😮

Phone rings:
    June: Hi, my name is June from Windows 7 help desk (or something like that)… we have been advised that you have a security issue with your windows 7 computer, are you the computer user?
    Me: Yes June,,,,, i am… what happened.. thanks so much for calling me, i really appreciate it… sorry where were you from?

June: i am from windows help desk and……
    me: i cut her off ” oh that is unbelievable, thank you SO SO SO much for taking the time to call me.. what did the message you receive say?”

June:”it was in a file and said you received some malicious software, so you are the computer operator?”
    me:‘yes June i am,,,, malicious software.. which computer is it on? we have 5 in the house…. how can i tell which one?”

June:‘it is your main one…
    me:oh ok, i really would love to know what the information said.. and how do you know which computer it is…

June:“there is malicious software on your computer….”
    i cut her off again
    me:‘seriously? how the hell did it get on my computer.. i cant believe it.. i am so careful.. can you please read the message to me? when did you get it? how long ago? what did it download? what will it do? June, are you there?? June…….

Phone line goes dead…. well, record for me… i kept her online for about 4 minutes repeating the same questions over and over… heard someone in the background of the call centre yelling, just before she hung up.. LOL

Seriously, i cant believe they are still trying to pull this one.. anyone else still getting this?

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I get these quite often and they’re the highlight of my day.

It’s normally from the Windows Service Centre. Their IRS (International Routing Service) is picking up error messages from my computer and they can show me the errors on my computer.
    Basically they want me to open the event log where, if you didn’t know, there always always several error messages of which most would be harmless.
    This is supposed to convince me that I have a virus and to allow them access to my machine or let me pay for a virus cleaning technician to help me.

I find the best technique is to ask what the error messages are, I’ve been escalated three times using this simple ploy and last time the final ‘technician’ figured out that I was trolling him and he started swearing at me. I wish I’d recorded that one.

I’ve also played dumb and been unable to open the event log; this also gets you escalated and you tell the final bloke that you’re using Linux/Apple, not Windows. (This normally ends with them hanging up on you)

I’m usually very polite to cold calls because I know that they’re just doing a job, but since this is a transparent scam I have no problem wasting their time or, occasionally, trying to shame the caller.

I don’t know why I’m still on their databases, I can only assume that multiple companies are trying the same scam. I was getting called three times a week at one point but it’s calmed down recently.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Love it John,

Me thinks i will undertake some of your tactics too.. never thought of having it escalated through their ever helpful it held desks.. :D

Wish i got them more often, i do somewhat enjoy the entertainment value of these calls… although i find it hard to understand why people still fall for it though? no specific info is ever given (your computer in the household – wow, hard to guess someone has a computer at home now days isnt it :mad:)….

Reckon the government should be identifying numbers and areas from OS that run dodgy call centres and just BLOCK there calls australia wide.. carn cant be that hard, the chinese can block anything to do with freedom of speech entering the great wall – we must be able to.. :p

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    HarryLuke, post: 123243 wrote:
    Reckon the government should be identifying numbers and areas from OS that run dodgy call centres and just BLOCK there calls australia wide.. carn cant be that hard, the chinese can block anything to do with freedom of speech entering the great wall – we must be able to.. :p

Jason

I sympathise with your sentiment, but from a technical perspective it would be almost impossible as often they have purchased an Australian VOIP number and trying to prevent that internet traffic, as most other attempts at policing the internet, would impose great restrictions on the rest of us for very little real gain (the scammers would find other ways very quickly).

In my opinion it would be much better to run an education campaign just like the one the Government has recently started in regards to Financial investment scams that have become quite common.

Cheers,
    John

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    HarryLuke, post: 123164 wrote:
    WTF??

Seriously, i cant believe they are still trying to pull this one.. anyone else still getting this?

They are, and for one very good reason.

It’s cost effective!

There’s always a handful that fall for these things, extraordinary as it sounds. They download some software, pay a few dollars for a premium version and think someone nice has helped them out.

My mother in law was only saved by someone arriving at the door mid call.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Oh Yup, i hear that mother in law comment…

I went to the MIL’s place last week and was lucky enough to be there when someone kindly emailed her to say that her DHL parcel was delayed and the she needed to confirm the delivery…. by clicking the file..

OMG she was going to press it,,,,,, lucky i overheard her reading the email out loud… I compelling asked her “so, what parcel are you expecting from DHL?”.. obvious reply, nothing. not sure, but better check.. maybe someone sent something.. my reply “well, when was the last time you received a DHL parcel? and when was the last time you received an email to you advising you parcel was misplaced without your name, number, etc etc… ?”..

Close call.. but so many people just CLICK>>>>> DOH!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.