Home – New Forums Tech talk On line web builder problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BDW
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

Just wanted to raise awareness among others like me who can’t justify the cost of sourcing a professional to develop a simple website and want to select a web host who provides a web or site builder package with their product.

I set my first website up using one of these from a supplier sounding a little like ‘Mad Houses’ and found that, for my purposes, it was adequate. The builder offered many thousands of templates but also the opportunity, once selected, to edit every aspect, site size, everything. I wanted to add pages to the original and develop it further but have just discovered the original domain name I wanted back then is now available and so decided to do it all over again, run the two sites until the old one lapses and switch. (my business is new with no real organic traffic to speak of and so this plan poses little risk to revenue).

Problem – The new site builder used by “Mad Houses’ has been so dumbed down that it gives only the choice of 2000+ templates (really around 20 in different disguises) and there exists no ability to even alter the size of an image or it’s position on the Home page. The user is not able to select a build from scratch option as per the old web builder which frankly worked well. Images I have lovingly prepared and processed in Photoshop are annihilated by the site builder software and however I use the crop tool to display the image in the size that they say I must have, it crops off my watermarks ie. WYSI NOT WYG leaving yout o scratch your head in frustration.

If you really have so little IT savvy that you need something this basic then I would suggest that you pay for the job to be done, but for savvy people like me (but not savvy enough to know HTML Coding….yet) don’t go near it. I have given them my feedback in exchange for their eventual offer to refund me (which took an hour of being told we don’t do refunds) and would be happy to post something more positive here in future should they improve their product. If others have good experience with any other providers site builders please do let me know, Dreamweaver’s required learning curve is a little steep for me right now!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

If you want a serious website builder try these guys

http://www.squarespace.com

I can code, but for a bullet proof CMS for clients, This ones the go IMO.

I’ve used it quite a bit, and some sites i set up have been running 2 years with no maintenance and no downtime.

It has the added bonus that you can insert/write raw code as well, if you know how.

PS

You’ll get what you pay for

Cheers

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Try an old version of frontpage.
    Its simple and versatile.

Steve

perthchampagneclub.com
    Up

BigCommerce.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    perthchampagneclub.com, post: 186676 wrote:
    BigCommerce.

You’re recommending BigCommerce to create simple websites?

perthchampagneclub.com
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 186677 wrote:
    You’re recommending BigCommerce to create simple websites?

Absolutely, and if you’re not selling online just using it as a simple page or few pages I think it’s still a good idea, you can’t go wrong with $35 a month!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I think you’ll find you get equivalent functionality and hosting at Squarespace, for $8 (US) per mth.

rdenton
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

Honestly, you’d be better biting the bullet and paying a professional to sort you out.

If you’re tight for budget, just stick to a super simple one page site that lists everything required for your business.

One clean, easy, professional page will trump anything that an online website builder can produce.

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Squarespace is probably your best bet or else what Rdenton said.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Yeah don’t go past squarespace for a diy website.

BDW
    Up

Thanks All. Having checked out square space I think I have found what I am looking for. It actually states in its advertising stuff that it was developed with photographers in mind! They have a free trial so you get to see what your web builder can (and can’t)do before you commit. It also runs monthly so you don’t need to lose money by paying upfront for a web builder which is rubbish. (and now crazy domains won’t refund me because I activated the product!!! Jeez, they activate it and that’s the first time you get to see it! Unfair trading at it’s worst (or best)) helpful tips. cheers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.