Home – New Forums Other discussions One posters and link builders

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    ::

I know this similar discussion has come up before, but after a brief chat with another forum member about their same frustrations with this, I thought maybe time to re-spark the issue.

As this community grows more popular, and getting amazing indexing power on google, it’s attracting the crap (for lack of a better work).

More and more people are coming and “one posting”, or spamming a forum – mainly in the aim of getting back links.

Likewise, I’m seeing more and more businesses from overseas coming for a brief stint of posting on here, offering no real value to the community, all in the aim of getting back links.

My suggestion:
    Volunteer moderators and first post approval. Take on an extra 3-4 moderators, and make new accounts need first post approval before they appear publicly.

We all know about the report link – but to be honest with you I’ve grown a little tired of it. It forces me to wait between reporting posts, and sometimes there’s 6+ posts I feel need reporting.

I think between the people in this community: Jake, myself, Janna, Brad, Paul, John, etc etc – we could pretty actively keep the forums clean of this sort of crap!

Anyway, discuss…

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Happy to help! I’ve ‘reported’ a lot of posts recently which is a shame!

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Great post Chris, I completely agree!

I’ll put my hand up to be a volunteer moderator.

Kind regards,

Jake

Chris Bates
    Up

A perfect example of a backlinker today: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/members/emmabrown47.html

Chris Bates
    Up

Just thought of another suggestion – Disallow the use of the URL tag in posts and signatures until 5 posts or moderation revision.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Thanks Chris (and all) for bringing this up again. We have been reviewing this topic a fair bit and are aware it needs some improvement. As you know we’re still learning (accelerated thanks to your work!) and will make some decisions based on the comments coming through this thread.

Robert :)

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Everything I have reported as SPAM has usually been deleted within a few short hours.

Unless the current moderators need more help I believe the current system is working fine.

If anyone believes a post is SPAM or in some way not meaningful – then report it as spam? If a message is sent back to the poster (in the case of the 1 post count user recommending a product/service) and a reason given I’m sure they would understand.

Chris Bates
    Up

Actually Ray, the one posters wouldn’t care. In most cases, it’s unlikely they’re associated with the business they’re promoting at all.

In fact I’ve seen some back link builders with 3 different businesses in their signature.

They’re monkeys paid to troll forums and try build back links. More then likely paid by a SEO company. So if they’re getting a bad rep, or their post gets deleted, they’re not going to care.

I think with more moderators on board, the spam will likely be deleted there and then. Rather then the 4 admins getting 6 reports per spam message.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 26939 wrote:
    Actually Ray, the one posters wouldn’t care. In most cases, it’s unlikely they’re associated with the business they’re promoting at all.
    [snip]
    I think with more moderators on board, the spam will likely be deleted there and then. Rather then the 4 admins getting 6 reports per spam message.

I’m sure 90% wouldn’t care if their posts were deleted as being spam.
    I think it would be nice etiquette if a standard message was sent back saying this message was deleted as spam as you have a very low post count and are promoting a service or product.

Having more admins will also cause other problems as well. If you have been using forums for any length of time I’m sure you would have seen some clashes of egos. I like the current system because at the moment this seems to have been kept to a minimum.

It doesn’t worry me if some spam messages aren’t deleted for a small period of time. If this worries you too much I suggest you learn to relax more ;) – hopefully said in a nice way :)

Chris Bates
    Up

Haha I think it’s because I’m obsessive. I read everything on these forums (I like seeing blue next to the forums, not green!)

So it’s a bit annoying when some back link builder has been through a whole forum and bumped the last 20 topics with a one liner and a link.

I know what you mean about over-policing. It’s a balancing act, as with anything. I think it can work with proper structure and rules in place though.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up
    ray_223, post: 26941 wrote:
    Having more admins will also cause other problems as well. If you have been using forums for any length of time I’m sure you would have seen some clashes of egos. I like the current system because at the moment this seems to have been kept to a minimum.

Put a number of people into a room with any situation and your bound to have a clash of opinions. Thats what makes these forums so interesting – A moderators job is not to take sides, but step in when things get out of control.

Chris Bates, post: 26942 wrote:
    Haha I think it’s because I’m obsessive. I read everything on these forums (I like seeing blue next to the forums, not green!)

So it’s a bit annoying when some back link builder has been through a whole forum and bumped the last 20 topics with a one liner and a link.

Agreed =)

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Thanks again all for plenty of great ideas!
    A quicj update: We’re getting together next week to go through this in detail and seeing what changes we can make to tighten things up on the spam front without unduly over-policing.
    Thanks also for your offers and help :)
    Have a great weekend
    Peter

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Chris

Mate you have been a fine contributor to this great Aussie forum…and you have 500 more posts than me that’s a great effort since I have been a member 12 months longer then myself….shame to me.

Having been back on the forum today has been great for me I have made some posts…hope they have been of some value…..but I have read some great stuff, i mean some great information, great!!!…..I JUST DON”T READ THE CRAP!!!.. and who cares…I know you have invested large slabs of effort into the forum, but the energy, time effort, money to monitor some back linkers would be huge. Your suggestion of 5 posts to show your URL has merit, but there is still a cost to introduce that.

More importantly….now read this carefully….I have been inactive probably for 12 months….um maybe more……I had made I think…..about 19 posts including today…Right, when I logged in the first thing I wanted to see is where I was in the que (the member listing)..yer egocentric I think they call it…kept on clicking till I was on page 37 and all the members only had one post.. so I kept back tracking to find myself ( I knew I had more than one post)…So more than 12 months off this great forum…um only 19 posts and I found myself on page 5 almost alright up there with you heavy weights or close to you.

Now what the point of all this…simple, it is called a long tail (lots of customers who only buy 1 item or very small amount) is very costly to service and this forum has a very long tail, very long. It might be ranking really well with Google etc but the real challenge to every one is to engage more members for an ongoing period of time. Or at least a longer period than they are engaging now.

So more importantly what can we do to improve the length of activity of the members we have now and those who will join in the future???? (get rid of back linkers LOL)

your thoughts

Cheers

Steven Hudson

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up
    Steven Hudson, post: 27121 wrote:
    Now what the point of all this…simple, it is called a long tail (lots of customers who only buy 1 item or very small amount) is very costly to service and this forum has a very long tail, very long. It might be ranking really well with Google etc but the real challenge to every one is to engage more members for an ongoing period of time. Or at least a longer period than they are engaging now.

With the exponential growth of the internet, the long tail is actually quite cheap to service.

Just thought I might point that out =)

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    Emroy, post: 27124 wrote:
    With the exponential growth of the internet, the long tail is actually quite cheap to service.

Just thought I might point that out =)

Emroy

Absolutely (have used that word several time to day) of course it is. Still a cost to deliver the service though. Point being is how does F/S engage more people for greater lengths of time more often.

Cheers

Steven

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.