Home – New Forums Other discussions One posters and link builders

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    ::

They certainly do do a fine job! Most spam does eventually get cleaned up.

I’m against over-policing the forums too, it is a balancing act. To many rules makes it too intimidating for new members.

I think the frustration comes from those of us who do regular the forums, and are normally the ones that first come across the spam. I feel it would be better for me to be able to hit “delete” as it would “report”, and feel it would make admins + Jayne’s job much easier.

Not really fussed whatever way the powers to be go from here, I know they’re constantly working on improving the community and the system in place. It says a lot that we can give this sort of feedback, and hear that they’re having a meeting regarding the issue within a week.

That sort of response would be hard to come across in any other forum.

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up

I can completely appreciate what you are saying Chris, and kudos to you and others putting their hand up to help out.

Thanks.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

There is a magnificent beer brewed in Ireland, called Guiness, and one of the ads that hit our shores wa when a Guiness was poured you had to sit for a while and watch.

This forum is like a beautifully brewed Guiness, sometimes you sit and watch, and sometime you like to stirrrrr. The difficulty for many of us is there is a time to watch and a time to stirrr…….I wonder which one this should be?

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    sixx, post: 27287 wrote:
    I’m surprised how such successful business people could fit forum moderation into their (what must be) bulging schedules.

Besides, is the spam problem really that bad? I’ve been reading here for quite some time now and it seems the level of moderation is appropriate without going down the over-moderated (Police State) path so many other forums have. A real turnoff. Sure, spammers get through and most can see this, but it’s not that difficult to ignore until the moderators do clean it up … and they do a fine job.

Hello Chris & All

Sixx…It took me 400 words to say what it took you in about 30, hats off to you, Burgo no walking the plank this forum needs people like you.
    Chris love your work…but stop and think about it!!! too many hoops to jump through and you will scare off any new potential forummers (I murder the English tongue). There are plenty of other options in the world for discussions groups/forums for punters to choose from….is one is great because it is Aussie…and it is full of good stuff..

But my gut says it is about to go international it where the money is….my guess is as some one else mentioned there are already other people from O/S coming on to the site.

Think about this I just seen a thread about ‘How to arrange my own home office’ or something like that. It was first posted in 08 when I just joined um just a tad old I think…bit like me.

This is where the opportunity to improve the quality of the site is. Health mags might bang on about getting a six pack… but they do recycle the info in a different article not the same article like what I saw?
    There are certainly improvements that can be made to the site but that is another subject.

Sorry another 200 words or so

THINK……DO……REVIEW…..NEXT

(can some one tell how to put that tag on my signature, I seem to get HTML???)

Cheers

Steven

Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 27297 wrote:
    I think the frustration comes from those of us who do regular the forums, and are normally the ones that first come across the spam

Chris (and Emroy) – your intentions are obviously good, but you shouldn’t assume that because something annoys you, it is a burning issue for everyone else.

We mightn’t all have your ‘sixth-sense’ but it’s pretty obvious when looking at the forum that if all, or most, subforums contain posts by a complete newcomer (sometimes multiple posts) that this is not a genuine newcomer to FS. Likewise, as the last poster said, if a very old post is suddenly top of the page again, there is a pretty obvious reason for that.

It doesn’t require much between the ears to simply not read them

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Guys, I appreciate that a lot of people here might not be bothered by spam, etc. But there are those who are – and unfortunately it IS a problem.

You’re all suggesting to “turn a blind eye” to the problem, where is that going to get us. The forum will become diluted with spam that we “ignore” and only read the 1 in 20 post that is actually from a real person.

I appreciate your advice of “don’t let it get to you”, and honestly I’m not sitting here with a pitchfork stabbing my laptop. But it does annoy me, and it IS a problem that constantly needs to be battled.

The fight against spam never stops.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Chris,

I understand your point of view.

My point of view is that whenever I see spam I click on the report link and usually within the hour it has been deleted.

My point of view is unless the admins are having problems with the current method there is no problem.

Of all the people who frequent this forum not many have posted saying they think it is a major problem.

Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

Sorry for the confusion Chris. I wasn’t actually suggesting it be ignored, just that, as Ray said, the mods are doing a good job of cleaning it up. I just didn’t say it as well as he did :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hello all,

This may have already been suggested, but how about Flyingsolo makes the sig link no follow until they reach 100 posts? I know this has been done on other forums.

Cheers

Matt

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi again!
    Just to let you know we’re still ‘listening’ to all the views on this thread so even more food for thought when we go through the issue this week. In the meantime we’re still busily stomping spam, thanks for your help and support with that!

Steven Hudson, post: 27332 wrote:
    THINK……DO……REVIEW…..NEXT
    (can some one tell how to put that tag on my signature, I seem to get HTML???)
    Cheers
    Steven
    Steve, in your control panel under edit signature you should be able to add that taglline in… but I’m guessing you’ve already tried that? Not sure why you’d be getting html. If still no luck just PM me and I can help update it from the backend.
    PS: The internet being the internet, we do get overseas visitors but Australian business definitely remains our focus and makes up the vast majority of the community :)

Cheers
    Peter

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi all,
    Thanks for your continued help with spam busting and for reporting posts. It certainly helps us jump on things pretty quickly and things have been pretty steady in recent weeks.
    Just an update to say we haven’t forgotton about this thread :) We’re still working on some new ways to crank up the spam patrollers but still tinkering with the technicalities of getting the new tools set up.
    Thanks for your patience.
    Cheers
    Peter

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 31269 wrote:
    Hi all,
    Thanks for your continued help with spam busting and for reporting posts. It certainly helps us jump on things pretty quickly and things have been pretty steady in recent weeks.
    Just an update to say we haven’t forgotton about this thread :) We’re still working on some new ways to crank up the spam patrollers but still tinkering with the technicalities of getting the new tools set up.
    Thanks for your patience.
    Cheers
    Peter

Hey Peter… glad to see you are on top of this… I don’t really get the idea of the spammers… wasting their time posting and adding links to get their ads deleted 15 minutes after.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.