Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Online advertising and the erosion of privacy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up
    ::

Hello everybody,

I’m currently conducting a poll on Facebook that asks what respondents think about advertisers following them around on the internet.

The choice is between it being something that “enhances experience”, which is the buzz phrase used to make the whole idea of our digital movements being tracked seem somehow for our benefit, or whether in fact, it’s a little bit creepy.

If I can get a big enough response, then I’d like to present an analysis of the results, and hopefully start a conversation about a topic I personally don’t think enough of us discuss as often as we should.

So, here’s the link, if you’d like to have your say:

https://www.facebook.com/227788437319648/posts/2223059454459193/

Much appreciated!

Regards,
    Shail

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Done,

I voted creepy, but also I see it as a waste for a lot of advertisers.

A couple of examples I can think of,

• I look at Ebay, and the next ad’s I see are for Ebay, but 90% of the time for my own products. Pointless.
    • I look at say Booking.com, for a holiday in Mildura, book the holiday, then for the next week I get ad’s trying to sell me accommodation in Mildura, even though I have bought it.

I know in each instance my the ad is most likely only costing 0.03cents, but if you think I get 20, and every other Joe blow gets 20 ad’s, thats a big waste of someones money.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    Up

That’s a really good point [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER], Thanks!

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I couldn’t do the Poll, because Facebook won’t let me log in without providing a clear facial image as part of their security requirements. They swear they won’t use the image without my permission…with their track record of data breaches and misuse of personal data I’m happy to miss out on their offerings. I’m a little surprised your using it as a platform to collect and analyse data, given that we’re talking about tracking and profiling on the web.

Smart arse comments aside, I agree it’s all got pretty creepy but badly targeted ads are only a drop in the ocean compared to what’s happening with big data and AI. We ain’t seen nothing yet imo, the powers that be are just warming up e.g. Facebooks planned move into banking.

I don’t think you can beat it easily, the big players are saying “here’s all this good stuff you can have for zip…IF you hand over the rights to your data…tracking cookies for ads is probably the most simplistic form of this trade off (content for cookies).

I’ve taken the attitude that whether it’s big business or government they’ve already got me where they want me (tried dealing with a gov department lately without going online?).

I now assume I’m an “open book” whatever I do online.

Good topic, hope you get more responses.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    Up

[USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER], what can I say except that I totally agree with every single thing you said?

91% of the respondents (88 in total) chose the creepy option, so I guess we’re not alone.

Cheers,
    Shail

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Calcul8or, post: 266967, member: 29970 wrote:
    91% of the respondents (88 in total) chose the creepy option, so I guess we’re not alone.

And the big question is, although I think you will find these are accurate figures just based on when you talk to people about internet, and such.

But will anything change?

My suspicion is no, why do I think this, is you talk to any marketer, or anyone in that field on here and what do they push, this exact type of advertising, and why is that, basically it’s easy for them, requires no imagination, and it follows the rest of the herd. About time our marketers did what they claim to be and be unique and imaginative.

IMHO

Calcul8or
    Participant
    Up

[USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] I thought it was interesting to see that a good proportion of the respondents (not all) who chose the “enhance” option were from a digital marketing background. I think you’re absolutely right that the focus is all wrong.

I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to change anything on my own, and a facebook poll certainly isn’t the most esteemed of sources, but as you say, I think the overall result would be reasonably representative of the general population.

To answer [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER]’s question about why I chose facebook, the reason was simply that those responses return far more information about respondents than a straight out poll on any other platform does, without having to ask for it.

And yes, I completely see the irony of the use “extra” data on respondents being at odds with my general objection to the loss of privacy, but I am consoled by the fact that the information was made available by the free will and consent of the respondents themselves. So I didn’t have to dig around for it, or gather any information about them that they themselves aren’t comfortable about being in the public domain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.