Home – New Forums Starting your journey Online business – home based

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #990676
    CuriousSolo
    Member
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi guys,

    Firstly I’m very glad that I came across Flying Solo while searching the internet for answers. I’ve read some articles and forum posts here that have already been so useful and informative.

    So the reason I’m here is that I am wanting to start an online business that will provide some 3D design services. I currently live in a rental property. I’m unclear about the following topics:

    1. Does every business need to have a registered business address? I do not want my personal address to be publicly available.
    2. Would this classify as a home-based business when dealing with the ATO? I do not need office space, all I need is a computer in my home!
    3. Can such a business be run from a rental property, and do I need to get approvals from the local council or my landlord?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    #1178140
    ThexArm
    Member
    • Total posts: 253
    Up
    0
    ::

    I think your accountant would be the best person to answer these questions. Just to give you an idea see my answers below.

    1, Yes, you need to provide a principal place of business to service documents. You are allowed to suppress your address but you need to provide certain information. More info: http://asic.gov.au/for-business/renewing-and-maintaining-your-business-name/update-your-business-name-details/how-to-update-business-name-details/request-suppression-of-business-name-register-details/

    2, Once you have decided on your business structure and registered i.e. sole trader, company , trust or partnership then you can state that on your application to ATO. I don’t think ATO would be concerned about anyone being home based business or not.

    3, You will need to get written approval from your land lord if you want to start a business in your rental premises. Some businesses do need council permissions but I don’t think your business would need any.

    #1178141
    CuriousSolo
    Member
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks for your reply.

    I looked at the link you provided, it appears that a substantial reason is required to suppress your business address. My only reason is that I my business will be web-based, and want to protect the privacy of my residential address.
    What do other home-based online businesses do with regards to their registered business address?

    #1178142
    Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi there,

    Most home-based businesses will simply have their home address registered. Keep in mind this address is registered with the gov’t/ASIC and although it can be found by someone who goes looking, it doesn’t need to be used on your website or any other public profiles. You can use a P.O. box for these. In other words most people will never see or care about your address.

    There are companies around who offer a business address for hire (virtual office), although it will obviously cost you money every week or month. Other people share an office address with another biz or a friend.

    I think they insist on a proper publicly available address because it adds accountability to the dealings of a business. The more anonymous you are, the easier for you to skip the country with someone’s money :)

    Good luck with the biz!

    Dave
    P.S. No landlord is going to care (or know) if you run a business from your computer. But if you get an employee in or start hosting client meetings at home, then that would change things.

    #1178144
    Corey2016
    Member
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    0
    ::
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 207725, member: 49676 wrote:
    Hi there,

    Most home-based businesses will simply have their home address registered. Keep in mind this address is registered with the gov’t/ASIC and although it can be found by someone who goes looking, it doesn’t need to be used on your website or any other public profiles. You can use a P.O. box for these. In other words most people will never see or care about your address.

    There are companies around who offer a business address for hire (virtual office), although it will obviously cost you money every week or month. Other people share an office address with another biz or a friend.

    I think they insist on a proper publicly available address because it adds accountability to the dealings of a business. The more anonymous you are, the easier for you to skip the country with someone’s money :)

    Good luck with the biz!

    Dave
    P.S. No landlord is going to care (or know) if you run a business from your computer. But if you get an employee in or start hosting client meetings at home, then that would change things.
    Hi Dave,

    I have stocks about 10 cartons of boxes at home for my business, there are material and some tools. I do not have client or supplier comes over, I make my product, pack them and ship them. I run my business online.

    Do I need to inform my landlord about this?

    Thanks in advance.

    #1178145
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    Corey2016, post: 240945, member: 87180 wrote:
    Hi Dave,

    I have stocks about 10 cartoon of boxes at home for my business, there are material and some tools. I do not have client or supplier comes over, I make my product, pack them and ship them. I run my business online.

    Do I need to inform my landlord about this?

    Thanks in advance.

    When you say you make your product do you make excessive noise, or is it a quiet task.

    Just my opinion, but if it doesn’t make noise or disturb the neighbours, cause damage or inference. And it sounds like you have no people coming there on a regular basis, I personally wouldn’t worry about telling the landlord, but that just a personal view on what you have said you are doing

    #1178146
    Corey2016
    Member
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    0
    ::
    bb1, post: 240950, member: 53375 wrote:
    When you say you make your product do you make excessive noise, or is it a quiet task.

    Just my opinion, but if it doesn’t make noise or disturb the neighbours, cause damage or inference. And it sounds like you have no people coming there on a regular basis, I personally wouldn’t worry about telling the landlord, but that just a personal view on what you have said you are doing
    Thank you Bert,

    Do you know if I can use my rented apartment/ studio address(I live there) to apply for ACN and business name? If yes, Do I need to inform my landlord about this?

    #1178147
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    Corey2016, post: 240952, member: 87180 wrote:
    Thank you Bert,

    Do you know if I can use my rented apartment/ studio address(I live there) to apply for ACN and business name? If yes, Do I need to inform my landlord about this?

    Corey,

    Do you really want your apartment (residential address) down on public record for everyone to be able to access though? Yes you can use it as an address as such, although in my opinion, most accountants would also offer this service allowing you to remove the prying eyes that may come looking.

    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1178148
    Corey2016
    Member
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    0
    ::
    Corey2016, post: 240952, member: 87180 wrote:
    Thank you Bert,

    Do you know if I can use my rented apartment/ studio address to apply for ACN and business name? If yes, Do I need to inform my landlord about this?

    LucasArthur, post: 240954, member: 34537 wrote:
    Corey,

    Do you really want your apartment (residential address) down on public record for everyone to be able to access though? Yes you can use it as an address as such, although in my opinion, most accountants would also offer this service allowing you to remove the prying eyes that may come looking.

    Jason
    Hi Jason,

    Thank you for your reply, what are the option accountant provide in this case? Do you mean they will find me a virtual address?

    Thank you

    #1178149
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::

    No,

    Was merely answering your query to Bert “Do you know if I can use my rented apartment/ studio address(I live there) to apply for ACN and business name?” and the answer is YES although maybe not the best option if you dont want clients knowing where you live etc.

    Accountants tend to allow you to use their address a registered office, some charge some dont.. this is something you will need to explore – its not about a virtual address, its about the registered business address for ASIC consideration and document movements etc

    Cheers
    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1178150
    Divert To Mobile
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    0
    ::
    Corey2016, post: 240952, member: 87180 wrote:
    Thank you Bert,

    Do you know if I can use my rented apartment/ studio address(I live there) to apply for ACN and business name? If yes, Do I need to inform my landlord about this?

    Hi Cory,

    You do not need to notify the landlord if you use the address for your business registration.
    In general if you do not break the law, damage the property, upset the neighbors and pay your rent on time the landlord wont care what you do and leave you alone.

    Get a copy of your lease and have a read through it.

    Best of luck,

    Steve

    #1178151
    Corey2016
    Member
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    0
    ::
    Divert To Mobile, post: 240968, member: 37472 wrote:
    Hi Cory,

    You do not need to notify the landlord if you use the address for your business registration.
    In general if you do not break the law, damage the property, upset the neighbors and pay your rent on time the landlord wont care what you do and leave you alone.

    Get a copy of your lease and have a read through it.

    Best of luck,

    Steve
    Thank you Steve. I was a little worried if they start asking all the boxes in my house during inspection but now I am relief.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.