Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Online business. Ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gstevens
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

As a new member to Flying Solo I would love to receive some feedback.

I have over 4 years marketing experience working for large companies, however this year I decided to take a role as a Office Manager for a friends construction company.

I have always wanted to start my own business and I have found that I have more free time in my current position. So I am looking at starting my own business on the side…..

I feel that my business skills are strong, and I also have an interest in the online space. So I am thinking of an online business. I have a few ideas but would love to hear from anyone that has successfully started an online company or has any online ideas?

Cheers

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Hey,

I have successfully started a number of online businesses and it has been great, its something you can work on whenever you like where ever you like.

But there is so much that goes into starting an online business, depending on your idea it can be just as challenging if not more so than starting an off-line business.

Aside form your idea, very basic things you need to think about are;

– Who is going to design the site for your? – Can they support you throughout the life of the business, not just give you a site and never be heard of again!
    – Where is the site going to be hosted, what sort of traffic do you think you are going to need? How many hits do you think you will get?
    – Will you sell directly off the site, or use affiliate or advertising methods to generate income?
    – Internet marketing & SEO, how will you make your site stand out from the billions of other sites online?
    – How will you secure and protect customer data?

That’s just the start, I suggest that if you have no webby type internet skills to partner up with a friend or a small company that can guide you along the way.. it will save you a lot of time and hopefully make you money faster!

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Having business skills is great but what do you love doing? Or what are you good at? What could you do without getting bored with it after a period of time, or throwing in the towel because it’s gotten tough?

I’ve had to learn business skills but what I started with were excellent admin and organisation skills, along with a love of typing – I still love typing. I’ve learnt and developed other skills along the years but I started with a homebased secretarial service that later became a virtual assistant practice once the internet set in (I started before the Internet was here in Australia).

Once you’ve worked out what it is that lights you up, then that will give you a clue as to what directions you could be looking in.

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

Yeah I agree find something you will enjoy doing.

But also think about the other benefits you want from your own business. I know a lot of people dedicate their lives to making their own business successful and that might be too much for some.

Personally I want a good balance, so I can take time off to do what I enjoy – traveling, surfing, sleeping in.. Whatever. That to me is the best part of having my own business.

If you’ve got the free time now, I ‘d consider just learning as much as you can about operating a business, marketing, web design, seo, etc etc, anything you think could be useful for running a business. If you’ve got the internet at work, well it’s all in there for you already. If you have the time to build up your own skill levels, you’ll probably find you can do most of the things yourself and start off quickly and effectively.

Good luck.
    Mike

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Remember a business is a business. The internet is just the media you’re using. Don’t get caught up in too much hype about that side of things. Remember your business will work on the basis of there being people willing to pay for your products and services ie you’re meeting a demand in the marketplace.

However, if it’s a business selling information, can I suggest you check out http://www.brettmcfall.com and grab a copy of his book “Make Money While You Sleep”.

Lucki
    • Total posts: 147
    Up

hiya,

Great to have you join us.

I would have to agree with Kathie, find something that you enjoy doing and go from there. It obviously has to be marketable and have a demand or else the business will sink. I’ve found when you’re passionate about something your work becomes your joy.

Also don’t get attached to what you may have started, if it’s not working change direction/focus but never give up.

Cheers

Lucki

MOATGroup
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Find something you’re passionate about or a hobby you like, see how you could do it in different forms, ie do you launch an online store, do you offer marketing consultancy, do you create a blog and develop a network around this.

See if an ebay hobby could be of use or look at emerging technologies and maybe assisting other people with your marketing skills.

It’s amazing how many people out there are reviewing these steps. I’m in the same boat with launching bugbat.com.au, moatgroup.com.au and itsgroup.com.au – all different passions of mine and also some other things I like the idea of testing the water with and seeing if they make some money and open up new doors.

One thing I always think of, is that there are so many like minded people who want to make money and launch their own business, I don’t see why a collaborative group isn’t set up that utilises everyone’s skills to develop a business that eventually takes on the big boys.. If you think of how many people on this site alone could work together in different fields, it would be a pretty awesome offering.

Good luck either way..

Marcus

imblogger
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Well I will say online business is not to easy some time back I jump in online business with concept of social networking http://www.scoubt.com it was good success but i didn’t made more then 500 dollar month :(

hosting was biggest challenge
    marketing is ehhh extermly tuff
    SEO you need to invest time and money

To conclude don’t take it to easy

Richard A
    • Total posts: 92
    Up

In the first instance is there something you could do with your existing employer to leverage the organisation’s skills/business/expertise into an online / or another area of business? This would be an idea you come up with and champion, set it up and run it.

Benefits of this is that you get to learn great skills and get good experience on someone else’s time and money! If it works, great, if it doesnt, YOU havent lost anything.

I find that when starting out it is sometimes easier to begin with what you have at hand rather than come up with something new out of the blue. Other ideas will then naturally flow from this activity (thats what I find anyway!).

Richard

GregNunanAU
    • Total posts: 58
    Up
    Lucki, post: 10167 wrote:
    hiya,

I would have to agree with Kathie, find something that you enjoy doing and go from there. It obviously has to be marketable and have a demand or else the business will sink. I’ve found when you’re passionate about something your work becomes your joy.

Agree with this. I have a number of part-done online projects with great potential, but I’m just not “into them” enough to do what it takes to get them to the next level. ALL my best sources of online income are in niches that I have a passion for or have existing skills in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.