Home – New Forums Starting your journey Online business(soletrader) – Do I need an ACN

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    imtyerd
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I’m about to start a online business as a sole trader.

I am using PayPal for payment but soon as I upgraded to the PayPal business account they are saying my account has been limited until I show them a Certificate of Registration with my ACN number.

It is my understanding that as a sole trader, an ACN is not required but would like some clarification. I believe my mistake with PayPal may have been going with the Business account rather than a Premier account but I’m not too sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    imtyerd

NickKaro
    • Total posts: 226
    Up

Good morning

You are correct that a sole trader does not require an ACN. Did you perhaps register with them as a company or do they otherwise have the impression that you are a company?

My experiences with Paypal have not been great, lots of delay tactics to retain funds for a longer period of time…

Regards
    Nick

Jainam
    Participant
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

The Same question i am facing about ABN, i am running online canvas printing website – http://www.canvaschamp.com.au, I was trying to apply for ABN for this website business so should i register as sole trader or as a business?

And is it paid or i get it for free? Will they provide any certificate for ABN?

EcommerceTools
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Jainam, you can register your ABN for free and you can register your company name for a small fee through the ASIC.

There is some paperwork involved and if you make a mistake the ABR will be taking up a lot of your time.

An alternative would be get a paid agent, for a small fee, to apply on your behalf and deal with all the correspondence if you would rather put your time toward your business.

Hope this has helped.

We also provide free and impartial eCommerce advice for startups and those just looking to ask a few questions. Find out more at : http://www.ecommercetools.co

Thanks (:
    Nick

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    EcommerceTools, post: 207822 wrote:
    There is some paperwork involved and if you make a mistake the ABR will be taking up a lot of your time.

An alternative would be get a paid agent, for a small fee, to apply on your behalf and deal with all the correspondence if you would rather put your time toward your business.

Jaiam, The process for registering a business name and ABN is really quite simple, you dont need a lot of details and if you take your time it is really difficult to make a mistake. And in reallity both should take well less then an hour.

The last person who mentioned a dollar amount for getting an agent to do it got a quote for $500.00 just applying for and ABN, thats a lot of widgets that you have to sell, just to get an ABN if using another person. Not saying there arent cheaper out there, but dont go with the myth that we cant do it ourselfs.

Before you go and spend money on it, have a look at what is required, and see if you can do it yourself.

EcommerceTools
    • Total posts: 24
    Up
    bb1, post: 207824 wrote:
    The last person who mentioned a dollar amount for getting an agent to do it got a quote for $500.00 just applying for and ABN, thats a lot of widgets that you have to sell, just to get an ABN if using another person. Not saying there arent cheaper out there, but dont go with the myth that we cant do it ourselfs.

Wow I’ve never seen anything more than $90 and even that is taking a few liberties, whoever paid $500 the agent saw them coming from a mile off.

Jainam
    Participant
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Thanks for this information EcommerceTools & bb1, i think its a fruitful conversation and i can apply for ABN easily. I will ask again if i stuck anywhere. Thanks :) :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.