Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Online Community Management

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SilkCharm
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

So I’ve known about Flying Solo for ages, bought the book yonks ago but only just joined the forums ;) which is odd considering I’m an online community manager.

I’ve been running forums and bulletin boards for around 20 years and for the last 5 years managing mostly Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and MySpace sites for companies like Channel Ten’s Junior Masterchef (16,000 comments an ad break!).

My online name is @SilkCharm and yes I’ve had that for more than the 5 years I’ve been on Facebook and 4 years on Twitter. Since the mid 90’s actually when I administered a forum for a company. it comes from a character I played in an online game who was an alchemist/tailor. In case you were wondering… :)

My company The Community Crew is still pretty small – just 1/2 dozen staff, but we work around Australia and Asia and next month I’m heading to LA to talk to some film people about managing their communities online so it’s all good.

Looking forward to connecting with other people in small business – really want to use this forum primarily for personal reasons (support) not business marketing (we have small businesses in our client base). It can be somewhat tricky to manage that crossover, don’t you think?
    Cheerio
    Laurel

@SilkCharm

Michael_R
    • Total posts: 130
    Up

Welcome to Flying Solo!

I saw your post on twitter earlier today about communities.

Well you have found a good one here for sure!!

Will be interested in seeing what you produce in the next couple of months.

Michael

SilkCharm
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

oooh I have to produce? o.O That sounds suspiciously like …. work! :p

I can be a bit of a forum jumper, but I guess like most people, if I connect personally here, I’ll stay. Thanks for your comment :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Laurel,

Nice to meet you, and it will be great to have you on the boards.

My head is spinning thinking about 16,000 comments in the space of an ad break. How fantastic to be involved in something that captures people’s attention with that kind of scale and immediacy!

I’m looking forward to having you around :)
    Jayne

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

What does management of online communities actually involve?

I’ve never heard of this occupation before.

When you get 16000 comments in an ad break do you have to actually monitor the content?

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up
    SilkCharm, post: 72830 wrote:
    So I’ve known about Flying Solo for ages, bought the book yonks ago but only just joined the forums ;) which is odd considering I’m an online community manager.

Hi Laurel

Great to have you aboard, thanks for joining.

Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and hopefully crossing paths in real life sometime soon.

Robert

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Hi Laurel, welcome. Sounds like an interesting gig you’ve got there..

I don’t think the crossover is difficult. I just think help people on the forums where you can and that in itself is enjoyable. No one is here to be sold to but the reality is a lot of us are small business owners who service other small businesses.

If you just try to help people out it can’t hurt your business.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.