Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Online Mexican Hammock & Blanket store

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up
    ::

Hey guys, would love it if you had a chance to check out my website, http://www.hammocksaustralia.com.au and let me know your thoughts.

Have only been going awhile, but am expecting good things :)

Main difficulty as with any new site is growing webtraffic. Also our keyword ‘hammock’ is a very competitive one and we are only just popping up on page 11 or 12 of google.

Please have a look around and let me know what you think, anything you like, don’t like, think could be improved? would be great to hear.

Cheers,
    Mike

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi there

I’d say that if you’re looking for a hammock it does the job very competently. Where are you concerned it may be letting you down?

Robert

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

So … Mike … I’ve just emailed you as I have a product enquiry. :-)

Now, while I haven’t had a chance to look at your entire site, I found it rather off-putting that your email address wasn’t domain-based, i.e. [email protected]. It might seem like a small thing to most people, but to me seeing a business using an ISP like yahoo or hotmail doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

mexham
    Up

Hi Robert, thanks for that. I just like to have an outside view on things sometimes, can be easy to overlook or miss something when you are so closely involved.

Main thing really I really want to make sure of is that people feel confident and comfortable using the site. I’d love to increase conversion rates also so if there is anything I’m missing that may be helpful to shoppers or good for increasing sales chances I’d love to know.

Renee, thanks for you comment, totally agree. I have changed it to exactly the email address you suggested :). Thanks a lot.

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up
    mexham, post: 5282 wrote:
    Main thing really I really want to make sure of is that people feel confident and comfortable using the site. I’d love to increase conversion rates also so if there is anything I’m missing that may be helpful to shoppers or good for increasing sales chances I’d love to know.

I have a few quick comments/queries:

• Is there a reason why the menu items are underlined? There’s also a border between items which is bugging me a bit, but it might get better without the underlining.
    • On your Guarantee page, the lady (dona?) seems a bit … compressed.
    • On the Contact Us page, I love the pic, but maybe put in a caption. Some web visitors (ok, ME) are nosey.
    • Can you start supplying frames soon? Oops. :-)
    mexham, post: 5282 wrote:
    Renee, thanks for you comment, totally agree. I have changed it to exactly the email address you suggested :). Thanks a lot.

No worries!

oz_guy
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Nice site Mike. I think it was a good suggestion to change your email from the yahoo address. Much more professional. Also I like the idea that you have testimonials.

Did you design the site yourself or get someone to do it?

My advice is to differentiate yourself with a good quality product and outstanding customer service. Those two combined will take you a long way towards success. Looks like you already have these two ingredients and ar off to a good start.

Wish you all the best.

Oz

Lizzy C
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

Hi Mike,

I thought your site was quite in depth (a really good thing!) I liked the FAQ section and the why us? section. Testimonials also a good idea. All build credibility. Hence, I agree about the email address. I also tend to look for the actual location when I look at a new online shop. I like that you’ve made it very clear that you are Australian based. It doesn’t have to be a full address, even just a city. I think I look for this because if I am buying online, I am always looking for things to backup that they are a stable “real” business. The option to pickup goods always adds credibility for me. I am not saying that you necessarily need to offer pickup option but I think you want to add as many things as you can to in still confidence in your potential buyers.

Overall a great website.

Sorry to ramble, this is just my opinion of what I do when I buy stuff online.

Good luck and all the best!

Liz

mexham
    Up

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

Sorry was slow so to reply.

Thanks for the suggestions Renee, yeah Dona is looking a bit squashed, might have to give her a bit more room! If you cursor crosses the pick, it does say Mike & Guy, yeah but maybe a little caption underneath would help also.

Thanks heaps for those comments Liz, you are totally right about building confidence with visitors, and I’ve tried hard to keep it very informative and easy to use. I do a lot of online shopping myself, and like to know about whom and what I am buying also.

Oz-guy, appreciate the comments also thanks. Yes I did the site myself… well sort of.. I got the basic source code (template) from my supplier, and then worked it more to my needs. Adding in each items, products, photos, text etc. I’m pretty happy how well it turned out. It is only the second website I have tried to make, and I made it without any training, just old fashioned trial and error. I’m still always picking things up though, and adjusting and improving when I can. In comparison to a lot of other online stores, I think it does a much better job, and has a better look and feel to it. I’m am biased however though!

Cheers guys, all the best for the long weekend. Take it easy!

Mike

susie
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I like the website and agree with others that have said that having a Hotmail address for business doesnt inspire confidence. ( I realise that this has now been changed). I am just wondering what the woman with glasses on each page is meant to represent.

Regards

Susie

Eco Manifesto
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Hi Mike

Great looking site, that is easy to navigate, informative and interesting!

It might be worth mentioning the hammocks are made under “fair-trade” conditions (I’m assuming they are?!)

I googled “hammocks” and you came up on page 4 -the title of the link was “Hammocks Australia” (as per your domain name). Page 2 when searched for “Mexican hammocks” – again the link title of your business was “Hammocks Australia”

Kind Regards,
    Chrissy

mexham
    Up

She is portraying a friendly, willing and eager sales member stationed at the ready to take you orders!

Thanks Chrissy, yes all our hammocks are made under fair trade conditions. We do mention the working conditions on the ‘about us’ page, but also are suppliers are working with the Mexican govt to get their official fair trade certification which is quite a detailed process from what I understand.

Our main keyword would be ‘hammock’ but unfortunately that is still bouncing around page 10 at the moment. I have been doing a lot of work and study on SEO and believe I’m on the right track and continually improving the site. Also as the site is still less than 3 months old, I think that maybe effecting the rankings to some degree. I read somewhere that newer sites are not often ranked as well or penalised vs established sites over the first year. Whether this is true or not I don’t know though..

Eco Manifesto
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Hi Mike

Ah yes, under the “About Us” link – I was reading under the “why our hammocks” link – I just assumed the “about us” link was literally about “you”! ;-) Great to see the info there!

Don’t talk to me about SEO (my living nightmare)! I haven’t heard that before – I thought it just came down to accurate page title tags, keywords, description meta tags, website content, blogs, backlinks, links on directories, and all those other things that help you rank higher regardless of how long you have been there – but maybe someone with much more expertise in this area can confirm.

All the best
    Chrissy

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Hey Mike

Our eyes typically move left to right and you have a big patch of empty space on the right side of your site… I’d like to see a strong call to action there

mexham
    Up

Cool, thanks Warren. Would you suggest something like specials? or joining a mailing list?

mexham
    Up

Just quickly came across this research about where people look when viewing a website;
    http://www.useit.com/eyetracking/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.