Home – New Forums Starting your journey Online Research

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nats1
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi Im new here, I think ive got a good business idea but am trying to make sure I do my research thoroughly! Has anyone out there used SurveyMonkey on other online researchers? How did they work for you? Was it costly and worth the expense? Love to hear any feedback on this.

Thanks Nat

Normskiii
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi Nat,

I haven’t used Survey Monkey myself but I received a Survey Monkey request from a friend who was planning a startup business in the Aged Care sector.

I thought the survey itself was good but basically the survey was sent to my friends contact list in their email account and not to potential customers as they had yet to be developed.

I do not have any idea on cost but I would say if you are spending any sort of money on this, make sure you are sending the survey to potential customers and the correct demographic, rather than a bunch of friends.

Regards
    Normskiii

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

Hi Nat

1. Research terms that potential customers might use in looking for your new service – think laterally and come up with diverse list.
    2. Create a search-only pay per click campaign with a range of different keywords and ad groups pointed at a website describing your offering and offering a sign up option for your mailing list – e.g. aweber, mailchimp
    3. Set up analytics goals with a value of say $1 per mailing signup.
    4. Survey monkey is fine but keep to a small number of really basic questions like What was the purpose of your search, did you find what you were looking for, if not why not etc.
    5. Don’t expect more than a couple of percent feedback on your survey.
    6. Take close note of which keywords and adgroups generate the most conversions – this will be very useful – possibly more useful than the survey itself in generating market intelligence.
    7. Engage with people on your list to get a more refined view of what your offering should look like

Hint: If your business idea is very new and not related to a product or service with which people are familiar, you should use Google’s Display network for your testing rather than Search. You then present people with the concept rather than waiting for them to search for it.

This is an accurate and relatively low cost of way of testing your market as well as getting a list of prospects when you launch. Even though the return from surveys is generally pretty low, the fact that people will respond at all will give you an idea of the demand. Bear in mind that the conversion rate from a lot of profitable ecommerce sites is only 1-2%. – so if you can get this level of positive response your business may well have a market.

Regards

Tony

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

The key to surveys/research is the questions you ask. Have a clear understanding of what you need to know, frame the questions so that they are not ambiguous or leading. Ensure you will understand answers and that the answers have a value.
    It’s not easy to do and takes a lot of work.

Here’s and example of leading questions (politicians are good at this):
    1) Are you are aware that thousands of people are still affected by the radio-active fall out from Chernobyl?
    2) Are you in favour of more nuclear research in this country?
    or
    1) Has any member of your family received radiation therapy for cancer?
    2) Are you in favour of more nuclear research in this country?

You can bet the results of the two sets of questions will produce opposite results.

Nats1
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Thanks people, all useful suggestions!
    Nat

sarad
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Hi

I agree with Nomskii re sticking with your target market when testing your ideas, otherwise your data will be unusable.

There are a lot of online survey options out there, I never use survey monkey because it is the most limited, but depending on your needs it may be ok for you.

The Hobbit is correct re leading questions. I have written several posts on question design that may help.

http://www.marketresearchforbeginners.com/how-to-write-a-great-questionnaire-part-one-the-screener-questionnaire/

http://www.marketresearchforbeginners.com/skiplogic/

http://www.marketresearchforbeginners.com/how-to-design-a-great-questionnaire-part-3-five-steps-to-writing-a-great-questionnaire/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.