Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Online Store – What made you buy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    joy_kev
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I own an online store and just wanted to know what made you buy when you visit an online store. The reason I’m asking this is because I use comparison sites for my store and I’m trying to increase the conversion rate, hopefully I can get feedbacks and answers from online shoppers here (other online store owners can also benefit from this thread)

just some hints on top of my head:
    – design of the site
    – clear description page
    – cheapest price
    – free shipping
    – Paypal certified / SSL certified
    – About Us
    – location: Australia
    – phone number?

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Generally the same as any other time I buy something – I either want it or need it and by the time I get online I have a pretty clear idea of what I’m after. Apart from price (why many are buying online anyway) rarely does anything else you’ve listed influence me. I don’t go online to by discretionary items either. Hope that helps with your research.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

Price + reviews

Mickeyrat
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Price
    Postage costs – this adds to total cost, so if too high makes it unattractive to buy
    Range of product – is it different to what i can buy in the shops?
    Reviews of product

Look of the website also – there are alot of amateur websites out there, and that just turns me off straight away!

thesearchengineshop.com
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Some really quick ways to boost conversion that I use with my clients

-clear USP (unique selling proposition), why should I buy from you

-a paragraph or two of text on the homepage that actually explains what you do and what you sell, many ecom sites I see have just a bunch of products and pricing on the homepage

-testimonials….this is a must have
    Check out this ecom site, it has hundreds of testimonials, simply a no brainer to trust them: http://didgeridoobreath.com/testimonials

-a blog, even if pretty simple but it adds a more personal element to the site

-really clear contact us page with all your contact details + a twitter/facebook page. To me, if you’re a good quality business then you won’t have any issues pushing your brand on social media platform

-use crazyegg.com analytics and over time, work out what elements on the site are working and what doesnt

-use 4qsurvey.com analytics on your site, web visitors will actually tell you what they do and don’t like about the site or what’s missing

To me, if you’re main differentiator is price, then long term you have a relatively weak online business. On the flipside, if you give nothing more than price for your visitors to differentiate you from your competitors, all they’ll compare you on is price!

Plaintext Copywriting
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

1. Credibility (reviews, testimonials, good website design and writing)
    2. Price and quality (I can go to Kmart for cheap low quality – I shop online for cheap GOOD quality)
    3. Postage costs – flat rate always makes me buy more
    4. Prominent and limited offer – a special, clearance sale etc with limited time or availability (Catch of the Day shows a little fish icon for each special that gets gradually chomped with bitemarks as the product sells out – it makes me want some before it’s all chomped away!)

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Everything the above said plus…

When buying IT products online I have in more than one occasion left a site and bought elsewhere (on a common product) simply because a site wanted me to create an account before purchasing.

Yes I am that shallow – If I can buy somewhere else give or take $2-$3 where I just put in my shipping details without going through some complicated signup process, i’ll do it. And i’m not alone.

If you want a heap more good ideas I have a document I use heavily myself when analysing my own work called something like “How to create the perfect shopping cart” and gets into the nitty gritty of design ecommerce site design, and is fully tested using real life A/B split testing. It’s NOT my work (I wish), but email me if you would like a copy ( [email protected] )

Matt

joy_kev
    Up

thanks for all the feedbacks

I currently use paypal as the only credit card processor, means customers is being transferred to a paypal page once they click check out. Is this a let down?
    I also have Bank Deposit payment, is this good to have? Or just make users to think twice before purchasing?

joy_kev
    Up

any suggestions for other online stores that convert really well?
    this way I could review them and see what make them stand out than the rest

marketingweb
    Up

I believe the following are known to convert well:

http://www.gardenbotanika.com/
    http://www.rei.com/
    http://www.landsend.com/
    http://www.bluefly.com/

Note these are not Aussie sites…..

Matt

marketingweb
    Up
    joy_kev, post: 41410 wrote:

I currently use paypal as the only credit card processor, means customers is being transferred to a paypal page once they click check out. Is this a let down?
    I also have Bank Deposit payment, is this good to have? Or just make users to think twice before purchasing?

Paypal only won’t turn everyone off (doesn’t worry me personally), but it does say “low end small operator” vs “professional online retailer”. On the positive site though at least you know the security is better than someone doing it badly themselves!

If you want to do it properly, all secure, but not through paypal I strongly recommend the services of an Aussie company called eWay. They provide what is called a payment gateway which handles all the transactional stuff between the client and your bank. You do still need a merchant account from your bank with internet transaction authority for the eWay service to connect into – something that can be difficult to get but not as hard as it used to be.

Hope this helps.

Matt

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    joy_kev, post: 41284 wrote:
    Hi,

I own an online store and just wanted to know what made you buy when you visit an online store. The reason I’m asking this is because I use comparison sites for my store and I’m trying to increase the conversion rate, hopefully I can get feedbacks and answers from online shoppers here (other online store owners can also benefit from this thread)

just some hints on top of my head:
    – design of the site
    – clear description page
    – cheapest price
    – free shipping
    – Paypal certified / SSL certified
    – About Us
    – location: Australia
    – phone number?

There is no perfect answer to the question because it depends on what you are selling, who you sell to and who you are. There are four foundation pillars to a successful online store:

1. Design, process and flow
    2. Trust and security
    3. Marketing and promotion
    4. Customer service

All are equally as important and you need to get them all right to be successful. For me as an online buyer and a store owner, I look for trust first I may visit sites that I don’t trust but I won’t buy from them. After trust apply the 3 second rule, i.e. if you can’t find what you want in 3 seconds most visitors will leave the store. Seach and categorisation are important.

After that how many clicks does it take to buy? Simple add to cart and checkout steps mean good online customer service. Can the customer communicate with you from the website i.e. phone, chat, email what’s available?

Getting the product is the exciting part and I hate waiting. So fast delivery is essential and being able to track progress.

Many people believe that price is the most important factor online but repeated studies worldwide have found that is not the case. Every store needs to have some unique selling proposition (USP) to differentiate from the competition. If you don’t have a USP you probably won’t be successful. The USP might be “best price” or “free shipping” or ” delivery same day” or combinations. In general if your a small online store it is often good to try and look at the “long-tail”; small quantities of unique products that are not easily available through the large players. It is tough to compete with the large players on commodity products.

One last point on PayPal, it is not just for small business and it is now used by companies like Dick Smith Electronics and Woolworths. PayPal are around 50% of all online payments in Australia. The key issue on payment methods is to offer options e.g. PayPal, eWAY, Direct Payment, Phone Payment etc so that the customer has a choice.

All the best

John

Tristan
    Up

I’m a sucker for good design. I always find myself buying from the best looking site. Apart from that, I usually prefer to pay with PayPal rather than entering credit card details, purely out of laziness. ;-)

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    joy_kev, post: 41410 wrote:

Hi

When the prospect has made the decision to buy…the paying process should be as easy if you were buying in store. Offering Pay Pal and simular services should be an extra not the only way to pay. Offer as many ways as poss or reasonable.

I have many times got the paying part of the sales process and have stopped and left the site due to all the hoops they want me to jump through. Just not on.

cheers

Steven

paulc8712
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

The first “turn off” for me is not knowing what the shipping costs are. I hate having to wait until checkout to find out. i do like flat rate – and them maybe free shipping for order above $100 for example.

Pay Pal does turn me off. I’m more happy to just plug in CC number. I know as a busienss operator that merchant facilities are expensive. Offering a discount for direct bank deposit has tempted me a couple of times ..

Finally .. when buying online .. you either need to have a great price, or a great range or products. you need to give people a reason to not go to a normal shop and pickup what they want.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.