Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Open doors! How do we let people know though?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jazzah
    • Total posts: 193
    Up
    ::

Ok, so we are planning on opening (Bar any appeals to VCAT) on the 21st! I went ans saw a marketing company but to be honest, our money is spent on the planning that we have had to go through.

So how do we let people know where we are and what we do?

I have already listed, advertising in local school newsletters, local newspaper advertising (this one depends on price) advertising in coffee cup and Thursday ad, might even put up some signs on local notice boards, like the fish and chip shop!

Any other ideas? Would you have a special for the opening weekend? we could give away a party box?

Please any economical ideas are fully welcome!

Jazzah

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

That’s great news Jazzah !!

Sounds like you’re starting to spread the word already. From memory, the location is amongst other shops? I would imagine you’d have a fair bit of local traffic going past? Can you put a sign out on the verge, with balloons, so that people driving past over the next couple of weeks notice it?

Congratulations anyway on how far you’ve come…and good luck :)

Wendy

PR Guru Julie
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Your website and business concept looks great. I believe 70% of mothers are online in Australia so you’ve got a captive audience.

I like the idea of getting some of your advertisers to donate some goodies so that you can produce a gorgeous media kit with a press release to announce your opening.

So you’ll need to write a press release, and then a media database list (say national ‘lifestyle editors’ and perhaps ‘new product’ editors). Depending upon your budget, select say the top 10 to send the media kits to via snail mail, and the rest, send emails only with your press release.

You could also run some giveaways through your facebook site via the media.

We’ve got some good diy options that don’t cost a fortune at http://www.prguru.com.au. Hope that helps.

Jazzah
    Up

Hi Wendy, We still have to wait 21 days, so the 20th is d day for objectors to lodge an appeal to VCAT. I so hope that doesn’t happen. We were going to open the party supplies next week,a s we don’t need a permit for that, but the planner advised us not to, he doesn’t want to antagonize the people who objected! So we are paying a months rent for nothing….if I get a vcat appeal and the privilege of paying a months rent for an empty shop then I will be furious!

So in the interim we have to get ready to be open. We have a 4.2m wide light box sign out the front, I am waiting on signage quotes, but am worried we might not be able to afford them! We are opposite the train line, they have full view of the shop. We will certainly be putting balloons out the front etc, it is a busy road.

cheers
    jazzah

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Wooo-hooooooooo! Jazzah, what a huge relief!

I am doing the happy dance in my lounge room for you! :)

Love your work!
    Jayne

Jazzah
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 74436 wrote:
    Wooo-hooooooooo! Jazzah, what a huge relief!

I am doing the happy dance in my lounge room for you! :)

Love your work!
    Jayne

Ooooh don’t dance quite yet, they can still appeal. They have 21 days to do so. So D Day is the 20th!!!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Jazzah – were the people that objected to do with a retirement home? I can’t remember.

Do you think you could put on a special type of party for them just like a promo. In other words, show them how they have nothing to be afraid of and that your business can cater to older folk as well as young?

Just an idea. I went to a 100th birthday at a nursing home recently for an old neighbour. It would have been great if someone like you had organised and provided all the stuff.

Jazzah
    Up

There were 3 objectors, two from a block of over 55 units next door. The council said one of those was a persistent complainer and nothing would have been ok with them, they were a bit militant. The other complained about noise and traffic. Council addressed noise by putting a condition that it can’t be heard outside. Council think the militant person may go to vcat, but it is also an expensive process and they are in a housing commission unit, so may not. I do like your idea, but there is not really a community area.

The third objector was the landlord for the two adjoining factories. They cited parking and traffic, although we had a traffic engineers report and the council traffic engineers had no concerns. Their complaint was not very thorough either…..council believe they will take it to Vcat. Our owner asked to speak to them, I said sure, we have nothing to loose!

So we just have to wait! I seem to be getting good at that…this has taken so darn long and been so expensive I can’t give up now!!

Cheers
    Junelle

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi Junelle – thanks for explaining. Hope it all goes well anyway. Fingers crossed. Karen C.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Get a press release and send it to local papers, magazines, websites and blogs.

Many publications have trouble filling their pages, so often pretty easy to get your article published for free. If you’re lucky, they’ll also come out and take photos.

You will get a better response if you speak to people in person or over the phone rather than by just sending out emails on their own.

You can write it yourself, or get a good copywriter to do it. If you do it yourself, make sure to structure it like a journalist would (important info at the start, progressing to not very important stuff at the end) and make sure you give them a story, rather than an ad. You could speak about how much trouble you’ve had, or how you want to brighten the lives of children, etc.

GailH
    • Total posts: 217
    Up

Love your web site. It’s all very exciting! :)

One thing to consider is an old-fashioned letter box drop. I live close to a major shopping strip, and I actually really like it when new businesses let me know they’re opening up (even though I’m not a fan of junk mail).

Most of the flyers we get for new businesses have an introductory offer for locals for the first 1-2 weeks (to get people through the door). This often gets us to go and check something out we might not have noticed for several weeks otherwise.

A lot of communities like to support local business, so it might be worth a shot.

Good luck!
    Gail

Adam Stanecki
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Good luck, Jazzah.

Are you utilising social media? Twitter and Facebook are essential. You can connect with a lot of people on those platforms. Check out Facebook Groups and search Twitter for relevant topics. Contribute and gain a following.

Look at online local listings. Google does a great job of this now. There are also a few local search engines that are worth creating a listing on such as TrueLocal. Free listings are worth the effort.

Have you developed any relationships with the local school councils and teachers? What about other “talkers” like hairdressers and beauticians? How can you get them to spread your message?

Are there any businesses that you can create a joint venture campaign with? Perhaps you can arrange to market to a relevant business’s list?

I hope this helps, Adam.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.