Home – New Forums Tech talk Open in new window

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ActionCastles
    • Total posts: 28
    Up
    ::

Hi there

Is there a way to get links in this forum to open in a new window when I click on them? Usually the new page opens over the Flying Solo page.

Thanks
    Sandy

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

1. click the link with your scroll wheel on your mouse.
    2. right click then open in new tab
    3. the apple way option + click?

Steve

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

I’m a Windows user primarily so I tend to use right mouse click and select ‘Open in New Tab’ or ‘Open in New Window’ for basically everything. At anytime I’m on a page and it shows a link to another domain, then I right click…..

I also tend to always use the Right click and drag when using Windows Explorer, so I get a menu to either Copy, Move or create Shortcuts.

Brent

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I like it how it is.

It allows me to flick back using a trackpad.

ActionCastles
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

Wow! Of course.

What’s a trackpad Matt?

Thanks heaps. :)

MatthewKeath
    Up

It took time to master it by now I surf faster than I ever did with a mouse.

http://www.apple.com/au/magictrackpad/

:)

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 152353 wrote:
    1. click the link with your scroll wheel on your mouse.
    2. right click then open in new tab
    3. the apple way option + click?

Steve

Apple track pads have come way since “control click” I have full right click, left click on my MacAir, plus everything you see in Matthews link … I have never used a mouse with it (why would you need to).

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 152363 wrote:
    It took time to master it by now I surf faster than I ever did with a mouse.

http://www.apple.com/au/magictrackpad/

:)

Hi Matt,

I’ve been meaning to investigate one of these for ages, so I’m glad you brought this up.

Is it as speedy for navigating documents as it is for surfing? I spend a lot more time writing than I do surfing, and need to be able to zip around documents quickly and accurately.

And do you have any thoughts or experience as to whether it’s better for your arms and shoulders?

I’ll be interested in your experience.

Cheers,
    Jayne

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 152391 wrote:
    Hi Matt,

I’ve been meaning to investigate one of these for ages, so I’m glad you brought this up.

Is it as speedy for navigating documents as it is for surfing? I spend a lot more time writing than I do surfing, and need to be able to zip around documents quickly and accurately.

And do you have any thoughts or experience as to whether it’s better for your arms and shoulders?

Cheers,
    Jayne

I bought the Dell equivalent to get the touch options for Windows 8.

2 most obvious differences are that scrolling is upside down. With a mouse you pull the wheel towards you to scroll down. With a pad you push away, because it’s mimicking a touch screen. And instead of your two fingers for clicking, you use thumb and little finger.

I think Matt’s comment about it taking a while to master is probably quite pertinent. I’m a tad clumsy with it still, but I imagine with practice it would be just as comfortable as mouse. But as I’ve been using one of those for 20 years, I have a lot of unlearning to do.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Track pads are weird till you get the hang of them and the “muscle memory” kicks in, but when it does I think they have it allover a mouse.

I had a closer read of Matthews link, and that pad does a lot more than my MacAir one … reckon I’ll get one for the iMac.

I currently use an Apple wireless mouse on it, a bit of a hybrid actually, it has no defined buttons and a range of swipe/scroll motions are built in, but being a bit ham fisted I still unintentionally flip web pages and even working screens, the trackpad looks like it would be more like a notebook pad, which I rarely do something dumb on.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 152391 wrote:
    Hi Matt,

Cheers,
    Jayne

I find it easier on the wrist than a mouse. I just need to move one finger 4 cm to go from one site of my screen to the other, so I think it would be great for flicking between document.

The really cool thing is your can three finger swipe between multiple desktops which is really cool, as well as two finger swipes on a browser to go up and down.

The up is down and down is up take a bit of getting used to, but as I already used the mac mouse, it was all good.

One thing – I did change some of the settings to my own preferences, and I did watch a few videos to learn some tricks. (There are many tricks I am sure I am not using to their full potential)

One thing it’s not great for is cutting and coping lots of text. I use it for that, but it took quite a while to get good enough at it that it was not frustrating.

Overall, I recommend it. There is a learning curve though.

Good luck!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Thanks Matt, Stewart and estim8 :)

I’ve had investigating these on the ‘someday’ list for some time now, so maybe I will move it up in priority… will let you know how I go.

Cheers,
    Jayne

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.