Home – New Forums Other discussions Opening links

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joel Krause
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    ::

Hey Guys,
    Over the time I’ve been here, I’ve noticed one little annoyance to do with the usability of the site.

When clicking external links, they open in the same window, thus going out of FS. Clicking links to go internally, they open in a new window/tab.

This is very annoying, as generally once I leave Flying Solo, I don’t return until I come back for something else.

Cheers,
    Joel.

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Being an IT guy have have gotten used to using the right mouse click on Links and Windows Explorer drag and drop to always be presented with a menu rather than left click where it performs the default action.

Brent

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Joel,

That’s a good point. As Brent mentioned, I usually open in a new tab to get round it, but it might be handy if a new tab opened automatically.

I’ve dropped Peter a note letting him know of your comments and asking him to have a think about it. He’s on holidays at the moment, so won’t respond for a little while.

Jayne

Joel Krause
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

Hey Jayne,
    Thanks for that!

I did the same on my Mac, but once I moved back to Windows I started to use the mouse more often to open them. I was discussing the same issue with a client the other day about her website and she definently wanted it to open in a new tab automatically.

Cheers,
    Joel.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Once upon a time a lot of sites used to open links in a new window or tab, I did this on every site I built for a while.

Then there was some usability stats started coming out about doing nothing to hinder where a user wanted to go, especially opening new tabs unannounced.

I haven’t coded a site to do this for a long time, and find it fairly rare except on older sites.

Guess it comes down to personal preference … I’d rather have the option to right click (it’s now a habit) if I want a new tab, otherwise I just sail on to the new link … but you’re right, I may not come back … but if the content is what I want, I will.

PerthSystems
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Yep.. find it quite annoying. I’ll often open links on the go whilst reading through a page. Even control and clicking / shift and clicking doesn’t open a new tab..

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Joel and all,
    Thanks for pointing this out.
    Apologies for the slow response, just back from some time off.
    I believe opening in a new window was the default option originally, but it appears to have changed at some point for most links. I’ll check this out in more details with our developer.
    Cheers,
    Peter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.