Home – New Forums Other discussions Opinion on a job

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    TWP
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

my company is considering offering employment to 10 people in door to door selling (the product is honey) and i was wondering whether i could get someone to see if the job is worth taking (from an employee point of view)

I am aiming to pitch the job at students (over 18)

you are paid based upon the number you sell for instance if you followed the pattern
    of selling for 15 hours a week and you sold the average (10 containers an hour) at $2 a container you could easily make $300 a week in addition to the fact that you get to choose your own hours (so long as you fill a weekly quota). which makes this ideal for students as it offers flexible hours. in addition to the fact that they can work extra hours when they want to.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

what would be the weekly quota?

Steve

TWP
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 124381 wrote:
    what would be the weekly quota?

Steve

probably around 100 containers (by no means a large amount) and there would be a period of grace (1- 2 weeks) where the person would not be questioned regarding the below quota sales.

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

We don’t open the door to anyone if we’re not expecting someone to pop over.
    You should consider this angle.

Other than that, sounds great for students. Probably better than catalogue distribution.
    You could also check their (catalogue/Leader etc) terms and conditions to compare.

How would they carry the containers? Shopping trolley, car?

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Personally, I hate door knockers!

That only = 6 mins per sale which isn’t alot when considering you are walking and not every home will purchase. (Or maybe Im just slow at exercising hehehe)

Why are you resorting to door-door selling? Do you have fabulous honey? A great point of difference? Are you on Facebook? Have you tried stocking your honey in stores like fruit markets?

Tall Trees Eco Store
    • Total posts: 52
    Up

I’d wouldn’t buy off a door-to-door sales person. I find it as annoying as a telemarketer.

And your target market; stay at home mums/dads, retirees, unemployed, (very busy ;) ) flying soloists. Plus we are so cashless now. I’m not saying these people won’t need honey but I think you won’t get a very good hit rate this way.

I’d utilise these students in a fresh food/craft style market and pay them similar to what you have suggested. There are plenty of independent weekend markets where you could put up a stall and brand it exactly how you would like (signs, free samples, the list goes on). So now in a very basic sense your target market is people actually looking to buy, you’ve begun working on brand recognition and you’ve reached a wider audience than a day walking around a neighbourhood.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Don’t like door knockers, mostly send them away with a flea in their ear albeit a gentle one.

My youngest was a seller for electricity earlier this year, from her point of view it sucked and there’s no other way of putting it. She received lots of training but it was all very pushy and there were lots of rules and regulations. Would you be considering training your salesforce and making sure they abide by any rules and regs that apply to door knockers?

Personally, I agree with the market comments, much more sensible. If you’re able to get a foot in the door at farmer’s markets then that could work very well for you.

Brooke Curline
    • Total posts: 120
    Up
    TWP, post: 124374 wrote:
    my company is considering offering employment to 10 people in door to door selling (the product is honey) and i was wondering whether i could get someone to see if the job is worth taking (from an employee point of view)

I am aiming to pitch the job at students (over 18)

you are paid based upon the number you sell for instance if you followed the pattern
    of selling for 15 hours a week and you sold the average (10 containers an hour) at $2 a container you could easily make $300 a week in addition to the fact that you get to choose your own hours (so long as you fill a weekly quota). which makes this ideal for students as it offers flexible hours. in addition to the fact that they can work extra hours when they want to.

Do you make the honey? If you do and its local to your area, it is vital that you let your local schools know as apparently kids who suffer from Hay Fever dramatically reduce symptoms if they eat honey local to their surroundings.
    I wouldn’t buy anything from a student on my doorstep – particularly anything edible.
    Good Luck

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

I like the market stall idea, and the school one too.

TWP
    Up
    Tall Trees Eco Store, post: 124448 wrote:
    I’d wouldn’t buy off a door-to-door sales person. I find it as annoying as a telemarketer.

And your target market; stay at home mums/dads, retirees, unemployed, (very busy ;) ) flying soloists. Plus we are so cashless now. I’m not saying these people won’t need honey but I think you won’t get a very good hit rate this way.

I’d utilise these students in a fresh food/craft style market and pay them similar to what you have suggested. There are plenty of independent weekend markets where you could put up a stall and brand it exactly how you would like (signs, free samples, the list goes on). So now in a very basic sense your target market is people actually looking to buy, you’ve begun working on brand recognition and you’ve reached a wider audience than a day walking around a neighbourhood.
    That’s an excellent idea thankyou, i think i might just go about implementing that

bmd
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

I agree

door knockers are a real pain – especially after a long day!!

Market stalls are good – but how about approaching local deli’s or small outlets.

A butcher could be a greta option – honey goes so well with many dishes!!

pay them the same amount your were going to pay the door knockers and I’m sure they would take it.

You could even just google some recipe ideas and do a little flyer to go in the shop etc etc etc

Also I presume you have an online shop so once people have bought they can come back and buy direct from you??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.