Home – New Forums Other discussions Opinion on Online Shop Account creation needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I’m currently tyring to weigh up whether to make it mandatory for my customers to create an account on my website for online purchases or not.

Could you please let me know your opinion on this?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
    Mel

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

for customers it’s great, for you, it’s one of the worst decisions ever. How are you going to measure who your best customers are, how often people return, what the average lifetime of a customer is…. and the list goes on.

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

Generally it’s good to avoid friction points. As in, any extra point of contact that requires a customer to do something generally has a negative impact. You will probably get less sales if you require users to create an account to buy something. That said, what percentage you lose may be very minimal, no way to know without testing it.

You can do something as simple as requiring an email address with the order, then use that to automatically set up an account for them. It can be a very simple part of the checkout process.

MattVit
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

What Adrian said above pretty much sums up both my experience and what the experts and researchers agree with. His solution is spot on too – just get them to select the mandatory payment option, and enter an email for correspondence and confirmation.

Of course – there’s a crucial “but” here. It comes down to what industry you’re in and what customers you have. If you are selling to distributors, that’s an entirely different thing to end-users. The “but” also comes in even when you’re selling to end-users – ie, selling once-off products like electronics is different to a product which requires regular servicing, updates or management. For the latter, you’d need buyers to create an account IMO.

edit: Fascinating study I read somewhere, which correlates with what Adrian said about friction… Researchers were looking at those “tick boxes” on websites and the effect of them being ticked versus unticked on a person’s decision to “tick/untick” them. Specifically they were looking at “Would you like to donate your organs to research upon your death?” or something like that. They found that if the box was already ticked, more people left it like that, than compared with people where it was unticked. It’s amazing that such a small amount of “friction” can result in pretty large decisions. (and yes they factored in the chance of error where someone didn’t read it properly).

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your valued opinion on this!

I have decided to go without registration. I – as a customer – prefer it simple and can’t be bothered with a log in process etc.

Kind regards,
    Mel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.