Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Opinions on Portfolio website please

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #979039
    jezz1988
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hey all

    I have been working on this portfolio website to show to possible clients for my design business.

    Just need feed back on it, in regards to colour, layout, etc.

    Cheers :)

    #1111542
    jezz1988
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::

    http://jpcallandesigns.com/, and here is the link almost forgot :P

    #1111543
    Michelle Johnson
    Member
    • Total posts: 97
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Jeremy,
    I like the simplicity of the back and white. Depending on who your target clients are, it might be better to have your designs as the focus on your landing page (your portfolio) and leave interested clients to navigate to your about page. While your qualifications are impressive, the focus on them shows that you are inexperienced or just starting out which may put some people off?

    Just a few honest thoughts, hope that’s helpful.

    #1111544
    jezz1988
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::
    Retail Reviver, post: 124132 wrote:
    Hi Jeremy,
    I like the simplicity of the back and white. Depending on who your target clients are, it might be better to have your designs as the focus on your landing page (your portfolio) and leave interested clients to navigate to your about page. While your qualifications are impressive, the focus on them shows that you are inexperienced or just starting out which may put some people off?

    Just a few honest thoughts, hope that’s helpful.

    Awsome, cheers for the advice :)

    #1111545
    IncredibleCo
    Member
    • Total posts: 406
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi there.

    You are obviously a newcomer and your site clearly shows this. If I were you I would gain more experience, learn more skills, build up a better portfolio before building a website like this or even venturing out into the flying solo world.

    Best wishes – Phil.

    #1111546
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Jeremy,

    Apologies if some of the feedback so far isn’t what you’d hoped to receive.

    Everyone has to start somewhere, so good on you for pulling the start of your portfolio, and for having the guts to ask for feedback on it.

    If you’re looking to turn this into your business, then it would be great if you could pull together a few more designs, preferably with a broader focus, and ideally incorporating some commercial work.

    Bear in mind that when a potential client visits your site, they’ll be thinking “What would I get if I asked this guy to work on my project?”

    You need to showcase a range of work that allows them to imaging the outcome confidently, and at the moment I think the scope of your portfolio is a bit too narrow for that to happen.

    Good luck with it all
    Jayne

    #1111547
    jezz1988
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::
    IncredibleCo, post: 124179 wrote:
    Hi there.

    You are obviously a newcomer and your site clearly shows this. If I were you I would gain more experience, learn more skills, build up a better portfolio before building a website like this or even venturing out into the flying solo world.

    Best wishes – Phil.

    Thanks for the advice and i’ll take that on board

    #1111548
    jezz1988
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::
    FS Concierge, post: 124190 wrote:
    Hi Jeremy,

    Apologies if some of the feedback so far isn’t what you’d hoped to receive.

    Everyone has to start somewhere, so good on you for pulling the start of your portfolio, and for having the guts to ask for feedback on it.

    If you’re looking to turn this into your business, then it would be great if you could pull together a few more designs, preferably with a broader focus, and ideally incorporating some commercial work.

    Bear in mind that when a potential client visits your site, they’ll be thinking “What would I get if I asked this guy to work on my project?”

    You need to showcase a range of work that allows them to imaging the outcome confidently, and at the moment I think the scope of your portfolio is a bit too narrow for that to happen.

    Good luck with it all
    Jayne

    Thanks for the advice, I am going to put more work in, I was just trying to get an idea of what people thought about the website.

    #1111549
    My Wedding Concierge
    Member
    • Total posts: 109
    Up
    0
    ::

    Jezz, well done for posting on here and don’t be discouraged. Keep pumping out the samples of your work and you’ll have a decent sized portfolio.

    It definitely is difficult when you’re just starting out especially in the graphics / design world – I can absolutely relate to how it feels, almost a catch 22 situation at times.

    Keep working away at it, keep posting on Flying Solo for feedback too and you will definitely improve. There are plenty of good designers floating around here to help critique your work.

    Remember that you learn waaaaay more from the defeats, than you ever do from the wins, and with such an honest and objective crowd here on FS, you really do have an incredible resource of knowledge at your fingertips.

    #1111550
    Past-Member
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi, although you say that you want to show possible clients your work, your website is really like a portfolio for a possible employer – in other words to get a job, not clients.

    Invest in yourself by reading more about business – the Flying Solo book and is an essential and excellent start. There are also some books around about starting graphic design businesses. An example is here, Start and Run a Creative Services Business,

    There are all kinds of books available, but that is a start.

    You need to show what benefits a client would have by coming to you. They don’t really want to know skills – that’s for employers. Clients want to know what it in it for them.

    All the best.

    Karen C.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.