Home – New Forums Tech talk Optimising your site for iPad or Mobile

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Carbonite Australia
    • Total posts: 118
    Up
    ::

Having spend the last few months travelling to and from work on Melbourne’s trains, it astounds me the amount of people who have an iphone or equivalent smart phone.

I can’t say I have seen that many iPads, ut we have all heard of the hype and I am sure prices are bound to come down over time.

It made me think about whether small and large businesses needed to optimise their website for iPad viewing. What does this mean and are there any specs out their on this?

Can anyone lend their opinion?

Techalite
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

A couple of basic things to keep in mind when making a site iPhone/iPad compatible:

No flash. Neither the iPad, nor the iPhone, can view flash. So flash elements are out – and if you make your content or navigation full flash you’re really in trouble from that perspective.

Keep in mind that the iPad and iPhone, being touch screen devices, do not use hover states. This means that any navigation you have that doesn’t clearly state where the link points to until you hover over it will confuse your iPhone or iPad users. Mystery meat navigation as it’s called is never a good idea, but with touch screens having clearly labeled navigation is really a requirement.

kbrookes
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

I absolutely loath sites that switch to a mobile view – without offering me the ability to switch to the full site. The iPhone is a perfectly capable browser for standard pages (sans Flash), I prefer the non-dumbed-down version.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Have to disagree with you on this one Kesley, I love websites that automatically see that I’m using an Iphone, and give me a toned down version. It normally gets rid of the superfluous crap that I don’t like anyway.

Truth be told though, the majority of reading I do on my Iphone is my RSS reader, I rarely visit web pages anyway (except perhaps to find a number, or recipe).

– Jake

kbrookes
    Up

It’s mostly the lack of choice I resent – I don’t mind some mobile versions (TechCrunch is particularly good) but I want to be able to choose whether to read the mobile or full versions.

When they just dump me in a mobile version without offering the ability to switch to the full version – that gets my goat!

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

absolutely agree re lack of choice, I must have sent 10 emails to realestate.com about their terrible mobile version and no ability to switch to the new version (which they eventually rectified with a solution that worked some of the time). Domain offered the user the choice the whole time.

A lot of web developers are shy-ing away from Flash now anyway.

kbrookes
    Up

I’ve always hated Flash, at least for websites. Most sites that use it because they can, not because they should – it’s the onanistic animated .gif of the naughties. Too often it’s coupled with pointless splash pages. It’s never about the customer, it’s a measure of how self-absorbed the business owner is.

Added to the SEO-defeating nature of Flash and that it doesn’t work on iPhone or the iPad – it’s a total deal killer for me

vxd
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Flash does have it’s place on the web and will always be around.

A true Web/Flash developer will build a HTML version with their full Flash site.
    And A lot of them do, it’s just the handful of people who don’t understand the concept of Flash just build a useless Flash website and the same thing goes for people who don’t build useless HTML/CSS website.

I would rather have a Flash website then a poorly made HTML/CSS website.

The internet goes through trends, the days of Websites with long animation and transitions are over. We want our content to appear instantly and to display on our phones.

All this talk about HTML5/CSS3 & Javascript replacing Flash is just silly, it’s not that we don’t want Flash, it’s because we don’t want to wait for the content.

But keeping on topic.

Websites don’t need to be optimise to display on the iPhone and iPad they should be able to display the website as they would on a computer.
    Except for Flash content of course, If you have a Flash menu or have a Flash splash page then your in trouble. I never understood why people have Flash menu or Flash Splash Page.

As consumers we don’t care how we get it, we are just happy as long as we have it.

kbrookes
    Up

Not sure I agree with you there VXD. I really don’t see much of a place for Flash on the modern web, with the exception of games and extremely rich presentations or visualisations.

I 100% agree with you that there’s no place for Flash in menus! It’s totally incomprehensible to me!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I have sat waiting for appointments and looked at Flying Solo on my iPhone. I just zoom in and I prefer that it looks the same as on my computer monitor. I definitely don’t see the need for a different version. And thankfully the Flash ads don’t show, so there’s less to download.
    I make sure my own sites are completely free of Flash and always test them on my iPhone.

Whereas, there is a Facebook version for iPhone which works well, but you don’t see anywhere as much as on the whole site.

If there is two versions of a website, I believe you should have a choice as to which one you want on your phone, not let it be an automatic version.

vxd
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    kbrookes, post: 45214 wrote:
    Not sure I agree with you there VXD. I really don’t see much of a place for Flash on the modern web, with the exception of games and extremely rich presentations or visualisations.

That’s what I mean, Flash will still be around but will have it’s own market. Just because some video site have the option to steam using HTML5 doesn’t mean Flash is obsolete.

We can’t predict the next trend, all we can do is improve on what we have now.

Carbonite Australia
    • Total posts: 118
    Up

Lots of great responses guys. Given some of you have technical background what percentage of sites are you building these days that ask to be mobile compatible?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.