Home – New Forums Selling online Optin pop up timing for ecommerce site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sunnyfox
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I would like to implement an optin pop up for my newsletter on my ecommerce site. I am having a problem finding info on the delay and timing of the popup. Most information is related to blogs and they say wait 60 seconds. If only visitors would look at a page for that long…haha

Anyway, I am thinking to give it 6-10 seconds to ensure everything has loaded and the customer has had a few seconds to eye the page.

As an after though, styling the popup’s width is another concern. My page’s width is fixed at 980px; I was thinking of making it about 60% of that (about 590px and the height around 365px)

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks everyone,

Travis

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    sunnyfox, post: 164613 wrote:
    Hi all,

I would like to implement an optin pop up for my newsletter on my ecommerce site. I am having a problem finding info on the delay and timing of the popup. Most information is related to blogs and they say wait 60 seconds. If only visitors would look at a page for that long…haha

Anyway, I am thinking to give it 6-10 seconds to ensure everything has loaded and the customer has had a few seconds to eye the page.

As an after though, styling the popup’s width is another concern. My page’s width is fixed at 980px; I was thinking of making it about 60% of that (about 590px and the height around 365px)

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks everyone,

Travis

Why don’t you look at your bounce rate and set it according to that.

I’m not sure the width matters too much. As long as it is obvious how to remove it or sign up.

Hybrid connect does good templated ones for WordPress.

Jenny

sunnyfox
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 164622 wrote:
    Why don’t you look at your bounce rate and set it according to that.

I’m not sure the width matters too much. As long as it is obvious how to remove it or sign up.

Hybrid connect does good templated ones for WordPress.

Jenny

That was quick, thanks Jenny :) Been filling my morning looking over your blog. Yeah, I am making the big “X” pretty noticeable, I hate those sites that hide it in the left corner with a transparent background…

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    sunnyfox, post: 164624 wrote:
    That was quick, thanks Jenny :) Been filling my morning looking over your blog. Yeah, I am making the big “X” pretty noticeable, I hate those sites that hide it in the left corner with a transparent background…

I’m in the middle of writing my next seminar — “Top 10 Secret Website Tweaks to turn lookers into Buyers”

and you gave me a good idea!

Thanks for that.

Jenny

sunnyfox
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 164627 wrote:
    I’m in the middle of writing my next seminar — “Top 10 Secret Website Tweaks to turn lookers into Buyers”

and you gave me a good idea!

Thanks for that.

Jenny

Not sure if I should be happy about that or not…hahaha. But glad I could help :)

Travis

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

The answer is to test. Look at bounce rate and optin rates and refine the one that works.

The only thing I’d add to that is pop-ups are pretty intrusive and if you aren’t giving people amazing people it might annoy them. This annoyance could turn up in the stats but often it won’t, it will just cause mild resentment and hurt the relationship which will be very difficult to measure so I would be careful with it. Make sure it only shows once say for 60 days, is easy to remove and offers real value. A discount code would be good.

Hope that helps.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Not only do I (and most people I imagine) automatically click off pop-ups without reading them but I would think that if you page is not worth looking at for 60 seconds then the reader would not want to sign up to the newsletter.

I suggest trying to make pages interesting enough for lookers to stay longer then consider newsletter pop-ups.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Popups generally convert extremely well. Most people don’t respond to any form of marketing. You aren’t aiming for ‘most people’. Nothing will appeal to that extent.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.