• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    jands
    • Total posts: 72
    Up
    ::

Website review

Hi everyone!

Would love to some feedback on my new website! nursingnaturally.com.au

1. What needs reviewing?
    Website – how does it look? how well does it function?

2. What does your business do?
    We sell teas for pregnant and breastfeeding mums at affordable prices. Our website is a retail shopfront as well as a tool for stockists to create an account & place wholesale orders online.

3. Who is your target market?
    Pregnant & breastfeeding mums, or their loved ones.

4. What specific concerns do you have?
    I’d like to get some fresh eyes to check for typos, broken/missing links, illogical placements, missing info, etc. And to hear general feedback about the site’s strengths & weaknesses.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Sarah

lutrov
    Participant
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

Sarah,

First of all, I really like the simplicity and cleanliness of the design. Easy to navigate, no distractions and lots of whitespace.

Some suggestions:

1. Your site is hosted in the US. Are you targeting Aussie customers? If so, you may want to reconsider hosting it in this country.

2. Your page content header tags should be left-aligned for better readability.

3. Your home page content looks unfinished. Were they supposed to be lists or paragraphs?

4. The logo needs more work. It looks like something which was quickly slapped together.

5. Your pages are slow to load. I know you’re using WordPress, and that’s one of the reasons why, but consider implementing “caching” to improve your customers experience.

6. I know the “view as: grid | list | table” looks pretty cool, but I’m not convinced it adds any value for your customers.

AnaLucia
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Hi Sarah,
    Congratulations on starting this exciting business! It is a lovely idea. I would only suggest two things:
    – Either Add and or some images at the top, or change the logo as Lutrov says.. it looks a little bit plain the top.
    – I think the font is bigger in relation to the images, maybe having bigger images so that they dont look smaller next to that font?

Good Luck!!!

YoungNomad
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Brilliant! Simple design, good price point, clear and easy to navigate.

I’m actually going to buy my godson’s mother some tea – so you’ve converted a sale from me!

Marketing marketing marketing!!!!

jands
    Up
    lutrov, post: 37968 wrote:
    Sarah,

First of all, I really like the simplicity and cleanliness of the design. Easy to navigate, no distractions and lots of whitespace.

Some suggestions:

1. Your site is hosted in the US. Are you targeting Aussie customers? If so, you may want to reconsider hosting it in this country.

2. Your page content header tags should be left-aligned for better readability.

3. Your home page content looks unfinished. Were they supposed to be lists or paragraphs?

4. The logo needs more work. It looks like something which was quickly slapped together.

5. Your pages are slow to load. I know you’re using WordPress, and that’s one of the reasons why, but consider implementing “caching” to improve your customers experience.

6. I know the “view as: grid | list | table” looks pretty cool, but I’m not convinced it adds any value for your customers.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback Lutrov. I appreciate the kind words.

Following up your specific points-

1. How would the location of the hosting affect things?
    2. I might look at changing that.
    3. It’s meant to be a list-style guide to the site/overview for easy reference. I didn’t want to consume people’s time by writing paragraphs. Do I need to do something to finish it off?
    4. Point taken.
    5. Will look into caching.
    6. It’s not meant to have the three options, they slipped back on somehow. I think they’re hidden again now.

jands
    Up
    AnaLucia, post: 37979 wrote:
    Hi Sarah,
    Congratulations on starting this exciting business! It is a lovely idea. I would only suggest two things:
    – Either Add and or some images at the top, or change the logo as Lutrov says.. it looks a little bit plain the top.
    – I think the font is bigger in relation to the images, maybe having bigger images so that they dont look smaller next to that font?

Good Luck!!!

Thanks for the feedback AnaLucia. I appreciate you taking the time. Glad you like the look of it :)

Point taken about the top of the site, it’s certainly something to develop in the future.

I’ve adjusted those font sizes, thanks.

jands
    Up
    YoungNomad, post: 38286 wrote:
    Brilliant! Simple design, good price point, clear and easy to navigate.

I’m actually going to buy my godson’s mother some tea – so you’ve converted a sale from me!

Marketing marketing marketing!!!!

Hi there Young Nomad. Thanks for your feedback. It was great to hear you enjoyed the site.

I hope she enjoys the tea, let me know how she finds it.

Sarah

lutrov
    Participant
    Up
    jands, post: 38296 wrote:
    1. How would the location of the hosting affect things?

Recent research indicates that more than 30% of all searches have “local intent” and all the major search engines already use “localised” results even when your potential customer doesn’t even ask for them. See here for more:

http://lutrov.com/shop/local-business-profile-registration

In a nutshell, “local intent” simply means that the customers IP address is taken into consideration. If your site is hosted overseas, it won’t be considered as relevant as another site which is hosted locally.

jands, post: 38296 wrote:
    3. It’s meant to be a list-style guide to the site/overview for easy reference. I didn’t want to consume people’s time by writing paragraphs. Do I need to do something to finish it off?

But you do have them as paragraphs. Use lists instead.

lutrov
    Participant
    Up

Sarah,

You seem to have a substantial performance “bottleneck” which might lose you some sales.

I just tried accessing three random pages on your site, and on average, they’re taking around 25 seconds to load.

This is way too long. The problem seems to be your connection with “ecwid.com”, who I assume provide you with your shopping cart software.

If I were you, I’d be doing some more tests, and then asking them some questions.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

I have tried your site in a couple different browsers, and while it looks fine for me in Firefox, the right hand menu goes WAY down the page for me, below all the text and ruins the whole design in IE7. I don’t have IE8 on the PC im on at the moment so haven’t checked that but I presume it’s working on that or you would have noticed yourself.

Cross browser issues are very annoying to fix, but you need to get it fixed given how many people still use IE7.

I also completely agree with everything Lutrov said, especially the page load time – it’s so slow for me if I was a potential customer I would just leave before the page loaded.

Best of luck
    Matt
    Marketing Web

Ali Dark
    Participant
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Greetings

I’m Ali, who helped Sarah with some aspects of her site.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the sidebar issue in IE7. There’s a bit of troubleshooting to do there. I won’t take responsibility for much with this site as Sarah has been the main creative force, but this one is something I need to fix.

The speed issue is indeed with ecwid – it’s a convenient way to get a shopping cart going on a very low budget and with WordPress but it does come with a cost. I haven’t seen any pages take more than 10 seconds with an ADSL 2 connection though.

Another option is a PayPal cart, but this is harder to set up and harder for a newbie to integrate with WordPress than ecwid, which works with drag and drop code for the entire process.

Regarding the location of hosting, most of the information I’ve come across tells that the physical location of a hosted website is a very negligible factor when the domain extension indicator is used. I’ve seen other discussions about this hear and this tends to be the consensus.

All my sites are on the Aussie domain extension but American hosting and are seen as Australian by Google at least (the SE I pay most attention to).

lutrov
    Participant
    Up

Assuming you’re targeting people in your area, physical location does matter quite a bit. While this can be difficult and time consuming to prove, Google have on more than one occasion implied that their algorithm takes into account where the website is actually hosted.

For that reason, if I were not specifically targeting Australian customers, then I would consider hosting my website in America.

But only then.

The other issue is of course speed. All other things being equal, your Australian hosted website will almost always outperform an American hosted website for Australian customers.

Ali Dark
    Participant
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Hosting overseas is no reason to panic or start others panicking.

Google does take into account the IP but only if there’s nothing more concrete to go on. ‘

From a Google employee:

Source

“If you are using a ccTLD (like .co.nz) then the location of your server generally does not play a role in how we view your site.”

“if your site has a geographic TLD/ccTLD (like .co.nz) then we will not use the location of the server as well. Doing that would be a bit confusing, we can’t really “average” between New Zealand and the USA… At any rate, if you are using a ccTLD like .co.nz you really don’t have to worry about where you’re hosting your website, the ccTLD is generally a much stronger signal than the server’s location could ever be. “

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Oh here we go again…

Your server location is one of three factors that CAN be used to determine your websites relevance to a specific region. If you have a .com.au OR an AU server OR set ‘Australian’ relevance in Webmaster Tools – your website will be served on AU SERPs. Having all three is no extra brownie points.

Your server location has no weight on the rankings your website can receive.

Load speed as a relevance factor is set to effect only 1% of search results.

An additional 150-200ms isn’t going to effect your rankings on Google. Nor your typical Australian users experience on your website.

Matt Cutts himself has said if you have a good deal going offshore there’s no reason to move your hosting onshore. In AU hosting’s case, it’s about 5x the price of US hosting for 1/5th the specs. You’re better off investing that extra money elsewhere.

IF your website receives high volume traffic (10’s of thousands hits a day +), THEN you should have AU hosting because the speed aspect will stack up.

@Jake
    – post my bloody article already! lol

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

You beat me this time Ali :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.