Home – New Forums Selling online “Options” – bad for SEO?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dangaff
    • Total posts: 244
    Up
    ::

G’day all,

I’m looking to redo my websites products, descriptions etc.

Now with CS-CART (assuming just like every other modern cart system). You can add a product, lets call it Boys T-Shirt.
    You can then add options under “Boys T-Shirt” such as Size or Colour.

So theoretically, there is one URL for multiple products.

Now is it better for SEO to make the following instead:
    Boys T-Shirt – Blue – Size: Large
    or, is it better to make the “blue” and “large” options, where by you pick from a drop down list.

Does it make a difference? Would Google pick up on these things?

It definitely makes a website less congested I reckon to make options, but if its going to harm my website by not having products found when search in Google, then I’d rather take the SEO route.

Thoughts?

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

There are 168 million pages that match a search on Google for “large blue boys t shirts”.

If all you have to say about a product on a web page is its:

Brand name
    Size
    Colour
    Application: Boys

It won’t matter which way you list it. Either way your page is unlikely to rank in the first million pages of search results.

You are not really clear in your question. Words in a drop box menu are treated as though they were a list of words in the page body text. Is this the crux of your question?

IMHO, How you publish the page will have an effect but it will be totally academic and unmeasurable in the real world..
    Regs,
    JohnW

dangaff
    Up

The boys t-shirt example was just that, an example.

However yes, I do mean will Google recognise if you use a dropdown box setup to differentiate a product. Compared to just making a new product (thus, new url) with said product and said description.

Again, an example:
    Alternative 1:
    Product Title: Boys T-Shirt
    Options Box 1: Size; Large
    Options Box 2: Colour; Blue
    URL http://www.xyz.com/boys-t-shirt

Alternative 2:
    Product Title: Boys T-Shirt – Large – Blue
    URL: http://www.xyz.com/boys-t-shirt-large-blue

Hopefully that makes more sense. So any difference to Google or equally ‘liked’ by them?

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Dangaff,
    Google is trying to identify:

a. Search topic specific content
    b. Search relevant information

There is a degree of conflict between these objectives.

If someone searches for info about “blue widgets” and your page talks about widgets of all colours your page may be less specific to the search phrase but its content volume/value may be more relevant than a short page that just talks about blue widgets. Google will use a thousand parameters that change daily to decide whether your page or the less informative but more specific blue widget page ranks higher.

What you need to consider are your:

• Website application – are we talking about a shopping cart or a content management system?
    • Content writing – who does it, how much can you afford?
    • What info does your target audience want?
    • What action do you want them to take?
    • Your competition – how strong are they?

If you are talking about products in a shopping cart where each product page contains around 20 words, you probably need to be thinking about other tactics that will make a difference to your SE referrals.

Short content shopping cart product pages have largely been eliminated from Google’s top 10 rankings in competitive markets.

Run some searches in your market and look at what you are up against. Look at the volume of info on the top ranked pages, look at the types of page content, look at how large the site is and more.

If it seems like it will be impossible to compete with them for those search phrases, and it can often be, think about alternative searches that people may use to find information relevant to them.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

I think it really depends on what the product and options are:

In your example, I’d say there would be very little or no advantage in having 1 page that gets slightly more traffic vs having 5 pages that get slightly less. Selling the same plain tshirt in a couple of colours wouldn’t be worth maintaining a bunch of different products.

However.

If you were selling targeted/niche TShirts like below I would make sure you listed them as individual to ensure you get the most of targeted keywords. I wouldn’t bother listing sizes differently though, this would definitely make the website harder to use (as far as finding a listing for Small, Medium Large etc.

“Darth Vador driving a convertible” Printed T Shirt
    “Storm Trooper applying eyeliner” Printed T Shirt

Maclean

dangaff
    Up

Thanks for the responses guys :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.