Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Our Challenge – We sell the most boring product in the World

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    inkmart
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Yes we sell ink and toner cartridges and have just launched our business online http://www.iink.com.au …….if anyone can convince me they have a more boring product I will send you a free ink cartridge!!

However we are not deterred and having picked up many tips from flyingsolo we intend to share our experiences here as we drive to gain a large share of the online market.

We are in the process of selecting an SEO company/SEO freelancer/SEO expert and will have some interesting insights to share once we conclude that process.

We have begun our social media campaign with the launch of our facebook business page at http://www.facebook.com/iink.com.au.

We are trialing a competition/quiz app on facebook to see what level of engagement that can generate. Comments are welcome and you can win a prize as well. This link takes you straight to the Quiz: http://tiny.cc/iinkquiz

As we progress through our planned marketing initiatives we will rate them on their effectiveness and provide our lessons learned. Of course if we actually work out how to make ink cartridges sexy and appealing….my new career will be on the lecture circuit.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi inkmart,

Welcome to the forum! It’s nice to meet you :)

Sorry that your first post got stuck in the moderation queue for a while there. Like any busy forum we get our fair share of spam around here, so that does happen from time to time.

Hope you enjoy being part of Flying Solo.
    Jayne

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

there are numerous examples of companies who offer ugly or boring products and use that as an advantage.

the most popular was the introduction of volkswagon in the US and there is a chocolate bar with nuts, etc. end product is really ugly. another one is the benefits of hiring workers who are challenged (mentally, physically)

in all cases, the marketing turned weaknesses into strengths. have you considered researching ur peers around the world and see what turns your “boring” products into something appealing.

u could also partner up with businesses that offer complementary but more interesting products. offer at a deep discount and consider it as a marketing expense in order to get in the door.

just swipe and deploy. no need to reinvent the wheel.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I want a free toner – well I should, because we sell rubber thongs, yep the good old double plugger rubber thongs (for women as well).

Yawn!!

PocketDocket
    • Total posts: 156
    Up

I think a good example would be crazydomains. I would class their products as similar to yours- boring but a necessity to business. They market their products using the power of sex… It is controversial but it gets people talking, and more importantly buying.

Jeremy

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up

I thought your post title was great it made me curious about what the product was

your right tho- boring but I think you are onto something with the attitude

we have the most boring product in the world- it makes me so dam curious to what it is, your opening with a challenge which can work, and it worked for me

it’s like the old circus and where the guy out the front of the elephant man cage is saying to the audience

“don’t stop, turn away this is the most hideous creature known to man-kind- if your easily shocked turn away now, if you have a a small child you should not be seeing this you’ll be shocked you will be horrified you wont be able to sleep with the lights off” as he says this the crowds gather and gather.

It also adds some entertainment into the marketing (infotainment) your conveying information but making it entertaining, something I assume your competitors are not doing.

perhaps you should get a domain name- boringProductsRus.com.au with a link to your site, add some humor into your marketing to shake people out of apathy.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    PocketDocket, post: 90118 wrote:
    I think a good example would be crazydomains. I would class their products as similar to yours- boring but a necessity to business. They market their products using the power of sex… It is controversial but it gets people talking, and more importantly buying.

Jeremy

Well, they use the power of sex to sell to men. Sadly I’ve not seen them use half-clad good looking male models to sell me their services ;)

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

Terry,

Be absolutely wild, crazy and remarkable. You need to look different and you need to make ink cartridges fun, sexy, whatever.

I have a REALLY GOOD book that will change your business and branding approach to this market. You have to read Purple Cow by Seth Godin!!
    I can’t stress how important this book will be to your business.

Good luck! I’d like to see what you come up with!

Nick.

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

If you came to me with a decent budget, i’d try to create a viral ad that went something like this;

Headline – THE WORLDS MOST BORING PRODUCT

Then show bored workmen in your shop doing a range of different things with the empty ink cartridges looking absolutely bored – like using them as skittles, juggling them and having the remaining black ink leak out and go all over them etc etc… come up with some funny stuff to do with them all while looking like they’re totally uninterested.

Then close with “When you absolutely need a boring Ink Cartridge replacement – call us”.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    bridiej, post: 90138 wrote:
    Well, they use the power of sex to sell to men. Sadly I’ve not seen them use half-clad good looking male models to sell me their services ;)

Because that would likely drive all their male customers away! :p

The Infotainer
    Up

I remember the advert on TV for accountants- they showed some nerdy guy doing paper work- but the ad worked because thats what you want from your accountant

You could have a guy in a bar being the charmer with lots of women hanging around with a tag line (if they only knew he worked at ……)
    and have flashbacks to him at the office

playboy by night, boring ink guy by day.

HammockFG
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

I’d like to be in the running for the free ink cartridge – we sell life insurance! :D

I will check out your facebook page :)

HammockFG
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

i think it’s funny where you guys are going with this ‘most boring product’ thing. Maybe you can show all the awesome cool things you can do with the right ‘boring product’?

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    Hammock Financial Group, post: 90517 wrote:
    I’d like to be in the running for the free ink cartridge – we sell life insurance! :D

I will check out your facebook page :)

Some of the world’s best looking people sell insurance…..they are only slightly less sexy than stockbrokers!

The Infotainer
    Up
    king, post: 90521 wrote:
    some of the world’s best looking people sell insurance…..they are only slightly less sexy than stockbrokers!

and they are double the sexiness of me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.