Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Our journey to the top…. (of Google results)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    ::

When we launched our website just under two years ago I didn’t really know much about SEO ( or Internet marketing, or marketing, or sales, or customer support, or branding, or positioning,or pricing… you get the picture)

When Google first discovered our website we were on page 17 for ‘accounting software’ and were getting exactly 0 clicks. We’ve done a lot of work by ourself and than hired one SEO consultant and climbed all the way to place 13, than we hired another SEO consultant (local FS) and now we’re on 2nd place.

Please let me describe the top 3 accounting software in Australia according to Google (we do switch from 2 to 3 over the past few weeks though):
    1) MYOB
    2) Nominal
    3) Quickbooks

Can you see the big smile on my face? you must hear it in my voice.
    (We’re ahead of QuickBooks a product distributed in Australia by Reckon and developed by Intuit – one of the largest software companies in the US – nice!)

The Internet does level the playing ground a bit, right?

Through out this climb I always wondered what it’ll be like to get to the top. what is the affect of Google rank on site visitors, so now I know and I wanted to share this with you:

The following table describes the number of daily visitor for the specific keyword “accounting software” per Google rank:

Rank Average Daily
    2 8.8
    3 8.18
    4 5.9
    5 3.23
    6 2.35
    10 2.05
    11 0.35
    12 0.09
    13 0.68
    14 0.2

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Congrats, why don’t you share some of the strategies to help others learn?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Uri, congratulations to you (and your SEO dude too), that is a great outcome, and it is very generous of you to share your stats with us too. I’m sure there are people who will find that helpful.

I hope you’re starting to see increased sales too! :)

Jayne

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Congrats Uri! That’s an interesting story!

nominal
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 88260 wrote:
    Congrats, why don’t you share some of the strategies to help others learn?

Thanks guys!

I’m not sure about strategies, I’m more inclined to experimenting – it’s the only way I learn. I’ve talked to enough experts to realise that no one can tell you what will work and what will not and you just have to set your own path.

As for sharing, I think I’ve shared almost every single decision and idea with this forum over the this period, just look at my previous posts. It’s not that exciting.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Hi Uri,

congrats on being number 2. Hertz had/has a saying “we are number 2 so we try harder”.

I was wondering if you are considering to offer a free “lite” version of your software. There are many businesses who cant afford or arent willing to risk “free trials”.

they may not be serious now but we are all “moving caravans”. what’s unimportant now can be critical tomorrow.

Microsoft rolled out “microsoft works” as a lite version of office. they found that overtime, more small businesses upgraded to OFFICE. why? because learning OFFICE was much easier because of the similar platform.

just a thought.

nominal
    Up

Thanks hymstrategies

We don’t have a free version but our pricing is very flexible and allows to select only the features you need turned on and pay as little as $99

I don’t think there is anyone serious about their business who would think this is too much to spend. Back at my pre-business days I might try to find free and cheap stuff – but today I treat anything I spend on the business as an investment which makes all the difference.

Having said that, our pricing and business model is not set in stone and always experimenting – for now it works pretty good.

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up

so Have sales gone up?

Thats the core of it

Are you high on a search term that customers are spending money

I am not having a go I am just clarifying clicks and click throughs are great but if your not making sales it’s not so good

have sales jumped high with a relationship to your SEO

Cheers

Dave

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

Great work!

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

That’s fantastic – thanks for sharing Uri.

I hope it doesn’t take you long to share your average daily visitor stats when ranked number 1 for the same keywords! :)

Cheers,
    John

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up

Congrats Uri, nicely done! now that you have a word class ranking, maybe it’s time to think about a word class website design :) out of the top ten results for “Accounting software” only MYOB has a web 2.0 looking design (probably cos they are rich enough, even then it’s not a very good looking site) you can easily design a better looking website than the other 9 competitors :) and make your mark as a brand, reflect the power of the software you sell through the branding.

DigitalDomination
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Great work on the rankings! It’s a real achievement and worth celebrating.

Our focus for our clients is first to rank so they generate traffic, then to test test test to ensure greater conversions.

Have fun with the testing and good luck! I hope you convert well and grow your business. SEO = greatest ROI for internet marketing by a mile for most businesses.

Netboost SEO
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

nice to see small businesses beating the big boys in the search results… lookout myob…

I am sure your seo has told you this but don’t stop your seo campaign as your competitors may just be starting theirs…

Also look at going afer new higher yield terms like ‘buy accounting software’

These should be a little easier now that you are already ranking for a broad term – happy keyword researching!

JanF
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Great results!

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Thanks for sharing Uri!

I too would be interested to know the corresponding rate of sales per rank. I bet Uri will keep that to himself tho lol, that’s kind of personal!

“Accounting software” is very untargeted. I’d be willing to bet conversion rates are low. I would suspect people who type this in are those who don’t really know what they need.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.