Home Forums New here? Share your story Our new startup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Civ
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

[ATTACH=full]1710[/ATTACH] Hey all,

just wanted to pop in and introduce myself and my new start up.

I’ve launched Civ&Son Cricket about 3 months ago. It’s been a little seed in the back of my mind for a long time, but I decided to finally bite the bullet and jump in! It’s my first time running a SME, so lots to learn but thoroughly enjoying it.

I produce custom made, hand crafted cricket bats. We’re based on the Mornington Peninsula in Vic and so far, things are good!

It’s been pretty organic growth so far, a lot of word of mouth in the local cricket community. We are on facebook and Instagram and we have a Shopify site launching hopefully in the next two weeks.

We are happy to start fairly slowly as I still work full time. But will be adding more range (different bats, pads, gloves, bags etc) next season.

anyways, just wanted to say hi and get myself involved. I’ve been reading here for a little while so thought I’d become a part of it!

you can find us at
    http://www.facebook.com/civandsoncricket
    @civandsoncricket on Instagram

cheers!

[ATTACH=full]1710[/ATTACH]

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,565
    Up

Welcome to the forums [USER=119386]@Civ[/USER]!

Love this for a business, and it’s a great one to start small and grow with demand. How/where did you learn the art of bat-making?

Dave

Civ
    Up

Cheers Dave, we don’t know what it will be yet! But business is good and we’ve sold beyond our initial 1st season hopes before the season even starts.
    Now looking to scale up going into season 21/22.

I’ve always been a “bat geek” and loved woodwork. I had the basic skills in repairs but was lucky enough to spend some time with an expert bat maker and learn the true art of hand making a cricket bat.
    It’s definitely our point of difference in a market full of mass produced bats with stickers slapped on them.

Jimmiles
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Do you use self-service data analytics and visualization tools? Found only https://www.tropare.com/self-service-data-analytics-and-visualization-tools.html

MattH753
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Great craftsmanship. Are bats still made with English willow?

comicad
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Looks like a great idea.

I’d like to see some options to personalise my bat..might sound crazy but even putting photos of loved ones on the bat and sending it out as a gift!

Just my 2 cents :)

Civ
    Up
    MattH753, post: 271400, member: 117658 wrote:
    Great craftsmanship. Are bats still made with English willow?

Hi Matt

yeh bats are still all from the “English willow” species, but that willow is produced in various places around the world now, even Victoria!!
    I still choose to use willow grown in England though. It still seems the best quality.

Civ
    Up
    comicad, post: 271416, member: 1845 wrote:
    Looks like a great idea.

I’d like to see some options to personalise my bat..might sound crazy but even putting photos of loved ones on the bat and sending it out as a gift!

Just my 2 cents :)

Hi Comicad,

personalisation is more around bat weight, balance, handle shape, general feel of the pick up of the bat rather then cosmetic.
    Our cosmetic approach is a more stripped back, subtle aesthetic. Way less bright and colourful then the modern bat labels, but more suited to our market we believe.

so yeh, not so much “photos of loved ones”. :-)

Civ
    Up

We recently launched a new website too if anyone wants to take a look!

http://www.civandsoncricket.com

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Like your website, can I just make one comment, I think you should have the photo you have on this thread (with your son I assume), as one of the primary photo’s. Personally I think it gives it that down to earth, family orientated approach. We need more personalized approach’s.

Civ
    Up
    bb1, post: 271506, member: 53375 wrote:
    Like your website, can I just make one comment, I think you should have the photo you have on this thread (with your son I assume), as one of the primary photo’s. Personally I think it gives it that down to earth, family orientated approach. We need more personalized approach’s.

yeh I don’t mind that actually. Will update tonight

Tamara-H
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

This is a nice idea. I really like artisan, back-to-traditional-skills offerings. Not that I can afford them, mostly, but I like that they’re appearing more and more!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.