Home – New Forums Starting your journey Outsource website design and development?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    GD
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    ::

Hi, are people using outsourcing sites like Elance, Odesk… for their websites? If no, why, what are the issues I need to be aware of? If yes, what’s been your experience ? Have you got what you wanted?
    Thanks
    Rob

FalzonFinancial
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

I Have had bad experiences with these types of sites. If you decide to proceed with a web developer from these sites, I would only go with the freelancers with high ratings.

My website was professionally designed and developed by a freelancer in Australia and am very happy with the result. Feel free to send me an email if you would like his details.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

I’ve used them before and have had good experiences, but not for development tasks, only artwork / design jobs. It’s been good but communication and research is the key to success.

If you don’t manage the people you’re employing correctly or don’t give clear instructions or feedback then it’ll fall in a heap.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Rob,

Ive used similar and well, but for something like a website I like to sit with the person and discuss over coffee ideas etc. (yes a little old school)

Steve

Gogiver3
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    GD, post: 191502 wrote:
    Hi, are people using outsourcing sites like Elance, Odesk… for their websites? If no, why, what are the issues I need to be aware of? If yes, what’s been your experience ? Have you got what you wanted?
    Thanks
    Rob

In terms of reliability you are much better off using the local talent pool, plus you are ‘keeping it Australian’ contributing to our economy. I had a few bad experiences with outsourcing on Elance, the language barrier is a big one-plus the web designers were quite different in terms of work ethic, I’m not saying you can’t get a good result, but why invite problems when there are so many great talents here in Oz?
    Cheers

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Sites like these look great, due to saving upfront etc, but the savings you have from using these, will come back to bite you.

When your developer disappears and you try to get someone else to make changes to the site, most of the time they are coded that poorly, and not to standard most developers I know in the industry won’t even look at it.

You’re better of building a relationship, looking out for the long term with a local designer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.