Home – New Forums Get productive Outsourcing the non-important

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    ::

If you are finding people from forums, be careful to check there rep and feedback. If somebody is very cheap, then it usually means they are aiming for volume, and quality may duffer..

Perhaps I should put my prices UP and not appear to offer a cheap, low quality service?

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

YES YES YES! I think I said that to you once before Gina, haha.

I discovered with my tech support business that what I charged really made no difference to the amount of work I got. I DOUBLED my rate and get the same amount of work, it still comes down to who’s finding you.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    wordmistress, post: 26892 wrote:
    Perhaps I should put my prices UP and not appear to offer a cheap, low quality service?

I think most people understand you get what you pay for. If you are a professional, you need to be able to make a living. You need to be able to charge at a minimum for the hours you (or staff) put into a project.

Some people offer full websites for $150, whereby other companies charge over $2000. How many hours do you think the $150 person has allocated to your project?

But it also about what your are offering. For a example, a PSD to WordPress company (a proven one) would be able to offer the same service as yourself for cheaper, while possibly doing a better job. The technical outcome is the same, and as they do it all the time the process would be streamlined and procedural. BUT, they are not aiming at the general public, but to designers / marketeers, who are selling an concept.

A SEO company charging very cheap prices though would struggle as SEO is related to the amount of hours put into the project. Certain technical processes to do with SEO can be outsourced cheaply and effectively, but the overall project would need hours put in to succeed, thus the costs associated with would rise.

Also any outsourcing you do take time from you as well. A marketing company might organize all your promotional material, but may use different companies to print / prepare / deliver the project, then charge you to project manage the whole thing.

I can’t think of any business that doesn’t take advantage of expert outsourcing. Another example is the trend of large companies to outsource warehousing and distribution, Coles / Cadbury etc etc. Why? Because they can get it done better and cheaper by somebody else. Win/Win.

wordmistress
    Up

You’re right, Matthew, and I do believe the value I offer my clients is in the time I take – without charge – to figure out exactly what they need in order to do the job to the highest standard

I’ve removed my $77/hr message in my signature and have arranged for the web designer who designed my other site (not the wordmistress one) to start building one for http://www.wordmistress.com.au. Watch this space! (Or another space on the forum lol.)

Chris Bates pretty much coached me this morning and did a fine job too! I’m feeling quite Scarlett O’Hara today, the scene where she announces: “I’ll never go hungry again!!” :) Not that I’m starving, I just love the big drama in the statement!

Thanks, guys.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Glad I could help! It’s always good to get a fresh perspective on things – being involved you tend to get stuck in a mind set.

wordmistress
    Up

Ain’t that the truth! Thanks again!

DKBlair
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I have several people that work for me in the Phillipines/India and the quality of the work and work ethics is outstanding.

But be prepared for alot of trial and error until you find the right person.

Some of the tasks they do a very tedious/repetitive and I would struggle to find someone here who would do it, let alone hang around. However these tasks are critical in my industry.
    I have been involved in the fast food industry previously, ie employing teenagers.
    Never want to go back to that again!! What a pain.
    The overseas people are a breeze compared to that.
    In the early days I would feel guilty about paying such very low wages, but when the work dried up, they were chasing me hard for more.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    wordmistress, post: 26972 wrote:
    You’re right, Matthew, and I do believe the value I offer my clients is in the time I take – without charge – to figure out exactly what they need in order to do the job to the highest standard

I’ve removed my $77/hr message in my signature and have arranged for the web designer who designed my other site (not the wordmistress one) to start building one for http://www.wordmistress.com.au. Watch this space! (Or another space on the forum lol.)

Chris Bates pretty much coached me this morning and did a fine job too! I’m feeling quite Scarlett O’Hara today, the scene where she announces: “I’ll never go hungry again!!” :) Not that I’m starving, I just love the big drama in the statement!

Thanks, guys.

Haha, I love a bit of drama myself. Chris is full of good information I have found. :) Take care

Five Star PA
    • Total posts: 64
    Up
    Michael_R, post: 26305 wrote:
    Hi,

I have not been able to find a post on here about outsourcing or finding a person to do the time consuming elements of building a business.

I am thinking about hiring a person from overseas to take care of setting up wordpress, coding and doing some copy writing.

We are looking at being able to pick up a good person for around $300 per months for full time.

1. Your thoughts on out sourcing to overseas?

2. Are you interested in joining in with a full-time person that can take care of all your SEO, content creation and website management stuff?

chat soon

Michael

Hi Michael,

I’m actually a Virtual Assistant based in Brisbane so I am familiar with the whole working remotely idea. I can offer an interesting view point. While I spend my days talking to people about both the benefits of using certified Virtual Assistants, ones you can trust with your data integrity, I have also for web development acutally used an off shore person myself.

My advice is, yes for the web development side of things they were without a doubt much cheaper and to date have done a fairly good job. The timelines though have blown out hugely and whilst that wasn’t of concern to me it could be to some. I was extrememly specific in what I wanted, to the degree I pretty much designed it myself, pdfd it and then sent it over. The reason I sent it off shore was to have the client portal written, something well beyond me. Again, it has been good and allowed my to do what otherwise may have been out of my reach but it has had it’s frustrations. It really has.

With regards to day to day administration assistance, I really do urge you to give the Aust based assistants a go. You may be surprised how much you can outsource, how easily it can be done, with say postage of items if necessary etc. The one big factor I believe you need to be aware of is data integrity and how trusting you can be of your business and your clients details offshore.

I personally don’t really offer Word Press Set ups etc however I do know Virtual Assistants here who do. If you’d like to discuss in more detail what you’re looking for on a day to day basis I would be happy to give you more info.

Meredith
    http://www.fivestarpa.com

strategictelemarketer
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

If you want to outsource nonsensical things that eat up much of your time offshore, you can do it if you’re looking at the price or cost effectiveness factor, well it’s indeed way cheaper, but watch out for the quality. You may want to check TimeToOutsource.com by Aussie owners. :) Hope that helps. :)

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Try http://www.craigslist.org you can advertize all over the world for all types of services up to a point it is free.

Make sure you have google account or something simular for your emails you can get 30 or 40 responses.

MelaniePador
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Outsourcing is nowadays a hot topic for many businesses and individuals. It works on the premise of freeing time to accommodate the more important tasks and activities by delegating mundane, repetitive and non-core ones to others. Outsourcing is also a means of tapping a third party’s expertise and equipment, which one lacks. In other words, outsourcing allows one the choice to not do the things he doesn’t want to do or can’t do well.

For many business owners, responding and sending emails everyday can take a lot of precious time, which they should rather spend on making strategic and management decisions and other more essential functions. These administrative and clerical tasks of encoding data, keeping records and the like are important for the business but can be done well and at a lower cost by others. Any business owner who handles multiple tasks will one day grow exhausted and unproductive. Wearing too many hats has always been counterproductive, especially in the long run.

Best regards,

Melanie Pador
    PA EVERYDAY
    http://www.paeveryday.com/

MelaniePador
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    DKBlair, post: 27041 wrote:
    I have several people that work for me in the Phillipines/India and the quality of the work and work ethics is outstanding.

But be prepared for alot of trial and error until you find the right person.

In the early days I would feel guilty about paying such very low wages, but when the work dried up, they were chasing me hard for more.

The difference in salaries is really amazing, but just think about the economics. A hundred dollars in some countries (at their currency) is already a thousand or a million in others (at their currency). The buying power of people differ from one place to another. So don’t be guilty with the “lower” pay you give to outsourced service providers, unless of course you’re obviously exploiting people. Just research on salary trends in the country where you’re outsourcing. And the fact that third parties are seeking to serve you means the workload and the pay is just right.

When you do find the right person though, it’s always a plus if you give rewards where rewards are due. It doesn’t have to be expensive, an ebook or audiobook gift can be a really nice thing to receive. Some little amount can go a long way, of course.

Happy outsourcing!

Melanie Pador
    PA EVERYDAY
    http://www.paeveryday.com/
    pa_logo.jpg

Mitch
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Hi all,

Good and valid points contributed by everyone so far.

I have used offshore staff extensively and Im an advocate of it (So much so I have made it my business). I used to employ about 20 uni students in a mundane job that wasnt challenging to them. The problems this created were numerous, painful and draining.

I now have about 6 staff from Romania, Ukraine and Indonesia and about 15 staff in Australia. The staff I have offshore support the staff I have onshore so it increases their efficiency and create leverage. Some of the mundane work that I have I just cant get a smart person to do in Australia so its the only option.

I didnt have any luck with outsourcing, I needed to offer fulltime roles to get good results and people. I guess if you were outsourcing in Australia you would get better results though.

$300 is probably too cheap, I prefer Romania as its a European country and the english, education and outlook is more similar to Australia than India and the Phillipines. I pay around 1000 a month and get a really clever individual. PHP Coder I pay just over 2k a month.

At the end of the day I have been able to contribute more to the Australian economy, I make more money, I work less and all those uni students that lost their jobs are now climbing the corporate ladder which is what they wanted to do in the first place.

Mitch

ozcos
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hmm outsourcing, I though I throw my two bobs in……

And risk the usual labeling I usually get from expressing my thoughts….

which is,

why outsource? (I do respect everybody needs are different and whats for one doesn’t always work for another)

If you want to outsource, then do it.
    If you don’t want to outsource… Don’t.

When I started asking questions about any thing, Should I or Shouldn’t I
    I discovered this actually holds me up while I play on the idea, find all the +’s and -‘s. way out the difference, ask others again, get another thousand reasons why I should or why I shouldn’t, look at the figures again..

and the circle seem to just go round and round. (for me that is)
    Until 90% of the time I go with the original feeling

The reason I believe, is because I already Know what I want to do,
    the asking of question is like a search or confirmation (just to find the 501 people that agree with what I already know I want to do)

Now, these days I just do it, If I make a mistake
    the positive is “It’s my mistake” I will never put myself in a position where I have the thought of “I should have listened to that person or this person”
    for me that is actually blaming somebody else.

I get far more knowledge and experience by making mistakes because I then have personal experience why things don’t work.
    And yes i’m prepared the spend the $$ and consider it an investment into my future.

long term, I have discovered that when I jump straight into an action (That I already know I just want to do – Note: Yes I do a little pre planning) chances are, it works out because – I’m already doing it, when things go pear shape It’s seams easier to find others that will help or guide you though it, rather than take on advice based on the fact the other people don’t really know all the circumstances pertaining to your individual/business requirements.

and that’s is usually because (for me) that I’m not willing to open up on a public forum about everything I do,
    But when I’m looking at a bit turbulence right in the face, I have no problems going and sitting down with someone I trust and show them the books, so to speak.

and 99% of time a plan is put into action to make sure its works…..

regarding the topic of outsourcing…

Personally I don’t do it.
    I over come this by other methods nor do I employ people

This was a result of about 4 or 5 months a go when I was “thinking” about outsourcing.
    The question I asked then wasn’t should I or Shouldn’t I

It was – If I operated an offshore business would people purchase my product over a business onshore providing that same product and services

The results of my question then was, simply a big fat No (and yes I did ask many people)

So then I changed the question
    If I operated an offshore business -> Then invested a profit share into the community <- would people purchase my product over a business onshore providing that same product and services. I then went back and asked the new question again.. which contradicts the idea of not asking and jumping in…….(to some anyhow) anyhow I leave it at that. just some food for thought! as I mentioned my methods of business may not be suitable for everybody including my competitors or people providing the same product or services
    but they are they way I personally operate so It makes sense to me that my business will operate in the same manner.

Don’t just put your name on your business, put your personality into it.

cheers,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.