Home Forums Marketing mastery Over Saturated Markets

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    HMA
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1

Hello everyone,

My name is Sara, I’m writing on behalf of my partner who is an illustrator from Sydney. He’s been grinding for the past 4 years trying to make a change into a full time career as an artist, however it’s still a big work in progress. I believe he is encountering issues due to how saturated the artist market is and his fairly niche style of work, with that said, he has had some recent successes in breaking into mural work which we hope will continue.

1. Instagram followers not increasing (https://www.instagram.com/heavymentalartist)
    We’ve been stuck at the 1200 mark for years and despite consistent posting efforts there’s been little change. I’m not sure where we are going wrong as we try to utilise our hashtags, as well as sharing video and images in equal portions. Instagram is a fantastic platform for artists, but it’s so easy to get lost amongst everyone else.

2. Websales are poor (https://www.heavymentalart.com.au)
    We attend as many popculture conventions as financially viable. They are successful enough that we can restock, prepare for the next one, but not enough to quit his day job. All purchases made include our business card so people can find us online again, however even our most loyal customers wait until the next convention before purchasing again. How do we generate more web sales when our items are not every day necessities?

3. Expanding into Fashion
    We also intend on expanding his original artwork into a clothing range, which I’d love to push as wholesale into select brick n mortar, alternative fashion stores. I’m unsure on what a standard amount of beginning stock would be or how to plan our approach with this.

Any advice regarding these issues or referrals to someone who could help would be much appreciated. The starving artist lifestyle is not one I’d like to experience haha

Dave Gillen – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,554

Hi @hma / Sara,

My apologies your post got caught up in our moderation queue until today!

Some good Qs, here are some ideas…

1. Collaborations with other artists or brands who have a following. There are probably some compatible partners in certain interests/niches like tattoos, graffiti, comics, etc (just guessing, but you will know which ones based on your past customers and active followers).

2. Collect an email address from every customer “to send their digital copy”. Then you can keep in touch all year round.

3. To start, focus on getting into one store. Then use that success as proof-of-concept to get into others.

Love the artwork, and best of luck!
    Dave

Dave Gillen - Client Acquisition | Brisbane | (07) 3180 0288
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.