Home – New Forums Starting your journey Overseas travel to trade related Conference/ exhibition – Tax claim info?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Soulty
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hi, I am a digital Artist and I am traveling to Canada for a 4 day trade conference/ expo to see presentations/ seminars and hopefully meet some industry professionals and companies to help me network as a sole trader /freelancing artist.

I have been looking on the ATO website for info on what I can claim on my tax but cant find any relevant info (for my trade). Does anyone have any info or links to help out? Can I claim the full air fairs and accommodation on tax?

Cheers,
    Adam

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    ::

Hi Adam

You can claim the costs related to your travel (flights, accommodation, meals, conference tickets etc) if the conference is directly related to earning your income.

If you add a holiday or personal component to the trip you can’t claim the entire trip, you will need to split your costs between personal and business and only claim the business portion.

You will need to complete detailed records of what you did during the trip (see link below from the ATO website)

http://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Deductions-for-business/Business-travel-expenses/?anchor=P350_24099#P350_24099

Hope this helps.

Gabrielle

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.