Home – New Forums Other discussions Own business vs 9 to 5

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up
    ::

Had a conversation with a friend today about having your own business or working for someone. And here are my thoughts:

Not all people are suited to be business owners. Some are happy with the status quo. Some need to be given direction. Some like the fuzzy feeling of being part of a team. It could sound scary to be on your own and making all the mistakes a new business owner makes and then having to deal with the consequences. Sometimes it could be hard to pick yourself up, dust off your bottom and continue to put one foot in front of the other… So the security of 9-5 seems better.

But on the other hand… – the sweet taste of freedom. Freedom to make the important decisions. Freedom to express yourself in your own unique way, to have control over what is happening in the business and to feed your passion with more ways to make your clients happy. The freedom to get as big or to stay as small as you want. When you are your own boss the sky is the limit.

Melanie Miller Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

I actually wrote a blog about this yesterday! I felt all inspired as I took a couple of hours off to go to a movie!

I personally would not trade the stress of clients not paying and having to constantly market with going back to working for someone else from 9 -5, give me non paying clients any day!

The blog is here if you want to have a look

http://www.melaniemiller.net.au/five-reason-why-working-for-yourself-is-awesome

Melanie
    http://www.melaniemiller.net.au

OnlineGourmetFood
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi, I have done both & I think it is what suits you best at certain times in your life.
    Being a business owner certainly suits my current lifestyle & family situation much more than if I worked as an employee within another business. :)

Property Idiot
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

its easy to do or keep your 9 to 5 job, you do your job, you get paid, and you go home

before you even consider doing your own business, a lot of people think, doing your own business = success,

the truth couldnt be any further!

there are heaps of pros and cons of doing your own successful business,

most people work 40-80 hours per week,
    most people dont/cant pay themselves for 6-24 months
    most people after not earning anything for anywhere between 6-60 months, close/sell the business for break even or at a loss

if you are looking for an easy ride, or job security or a stress free

a business is 100% not for you!

sure, some people do get lucky! That I will admit. Im not one of them though :)

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

It’s very interesting how business owners and employees think. Sometimes I think we are on different planets.

When I was an employee many moons ago I was never really excited to get up in the morning and rush off to work with a smile on my face. Monday was the worst day of the week :) And I’m thinking that a lot of people feel the same way, it’s just a job to pay the bills. And that’s how you spend most of your life. Doing “just a job”.

I think that I am way too biased ;)

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

It is the absolute freedom to dream and plot my career’s course that keeps me on the entrepreneurial drip :D

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

The sense of ownership and the freedom associated with being a small business owner is what I enjoy the most.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

I’m living/traveling in South America while running my Australian web design business online/remotely.

Do I need to say anymore? ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.