Home – New Forums Starting your journey Ownership of business when a Trust

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bees
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

We’ve finally progressed on our manufacture and import of items from China, and are now dealing with the packaging. We understand that because the items will be imported in their retail packaging, they need a Trade Description and country of origin.

This also seems a good place to put our copyright and trademark information, but I have no idea how to word this since our business structure is a Trust.
    For example, a box could read; ‘Little Monsters, Littlemonsters.com and Monster Up are registered Trademarks of Monster Toys. All contents Copyright 2014 Monster Toys…..’

But I don’t know how to write that out when it’s owned by the Family Trust. My understanding is the Trust can’t be listed as the owner anyway, only the Trustee, which is me (not yet set up as corporate Trustee’).

Any ideas, or just leave this info off?

Thanks,

Janine

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    bees, post: 190377 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

We’ve finally progressed on our manufacture and import of items from China, and are now dealing with the packaging. We understand that because the items will be imported in their retail packaging, they need a Trade Description and country of origin.

This also seems a good place to put our copyright and trademark information, but I have no idea how to word this since our business structure is a Trust.
    For example, a box could read; ‘Little Monsters, Littlemonsters.com and Monster Up are registered Trademarks of Monster Toys. All contents Copyright 2014 Monster Toys…..’

But I don’t know how to write that out when it’s owned by the Family Trust. My understanding is the Trust can’t be listed as the owner anyway, only the Trustee, which is me (not yet set up as corporate Trustee’).

Any ideas, or just leave this info off?

Thanks,

Janine

Just list the trustee. If its customs paperwork possibly add XYZ Pty Ltd ATF ABC Trust. The reason being your ABN on the paperwork will indicate its a trust not a company acting on its own behalf.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    bees
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    JamesMillar, post: 190385 wrote:
    Just list the trustee. If its customs paperwork possibly add XYZ Pty Ltd ATF ABC Trust. The reason being your ABN on the paperwork will indicate its a trust not a company acting on its own behalf.

Thanks James, but as I’m the trustee, rather than a corporate Trustee, I don’t want to be putting these details on packaging.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.