Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Packages or no packages?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ::

Ok, with my website (see my sig) you will notice I don’t mention any prices or anything.

Now, this is because I don’t really believe in the idea of doing “website packages” like a “5-page site” for $995 or whatever, as I feel each website is different and shouldn’t be constrained to what the package says.

However, I do feel a lot of people may be put off by not seeing any prices, or perhaps only people with small budgets are….. I don’t know.

I have thought of adding something like this, but with conditions, whereas anything outside the scope is charged at my hourly rate. Sure, this won’t work for all sites, but I guess the idea can work for many types of sites.

Thoughts?

Nikita
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

I think it really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are getting visitors from organic search and want to convert them, then it make sense to put your prices upfront, similar to what you have done in your signature i.e. logo design $299. If you are targeting big fish they know exactly what they are after and prepared to pay as long as they have proper presence online. After all, the best long-term clients come from referrals. Hope this helps.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

I think in your industry, it is a choice you have to make. I would imagine that set pricing makes life difficult when dealing with your customers expectations. Similarly, there are those that will jump from site to site looking for those that list their prices and fit into their budget.

If you want to work with clients who have a set budget, list your prices. If you want to work with clients that perhaps price is not the main factor, don’t list them.

Just my thoughts

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

As others have said, it depends on the clients you want to attract.

If you sell packages…you will attract people who think web dev is some kind of product/commodity (as opposed to a complicated service/process/marketing tool)….If you don’t sell packages…you won’t…

Who do you want to serve? They are completely different markets…

All people want to know a price…winning clients (the ones you want) will understand you can’t give a price without consultation…so explain that to them instead…as a reminder and guiding light…the web is really useful for that kind of thing…:)

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

I offer packages
    and usually people go for the packages and once you speak to them you can customize what they want more and more….

Just check some of the top web design guys here…. I see many of them offering some type of “solution” or “options” to make it a bit easier to compare and understand what exactly you are offering.

So give packages a go… ?

Rball
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

I offer packages because many of my clients have no idea about websites, hosting or even domain names. So therefore I offer it on one convenient package. The price gives my target market an idea of how much is needed to spend, but of course I will alter this depending on their needs. I have found this system be very effective for my target market. However if I was targeting higher-end clients I would definitely opt for quote-based pricing.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Thanks a lot for all the responses so far guys.

Quote:
    As others have said, it depends on the clients you want to attract.

If you sell packages…you will attract people who think web dev is some kind of product/commodity (as opposed to a complicated service/process/marketing tool)….If you don’t sell packages…you won’t…

Who do you want to serve? They are completely different markets…

To answer your question, I would far prefer to deal with clients that don’t think web dev is some kind of product/commodity, but seeing as I’m still just starting out I’m just looking for something to help bring the clients in.

Brett N/Nerds Computer
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Condor,

When you have a reputation for great websites (as we do – so I speak from experience) you should definitely charge an hourly rate. You can work to a quality level that you and your client is happy with. We still offer packages but almost no one takes us up on them as all they do is limit the quality of the end result and well tell our clients this.

Good luck!

Brett

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Brett N/Nerds Computer, post: 116763 wrote:
    When you have a reputation for great websites (as we doModest too ;)

I’ve never heard of a web design company using hourly rates up front. On post launch work yes, or on extra’s not covered in the initial brief, but generally once the you have spoken with the client and you know what they need, a proposal produced with the total price included is standard practice.

I have two businesses – one is aimed at higher end clients and I don’t mention the price on my site, the other is aimed at small business (see below) and because they almost always buy on price I have included three packages so they know what they get and how much it costs.

There are two completely different website design markets out there, one completely focused on price, and one who values quality work over price. You need to find your own market and work with it.

Good luck .

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Great new additions guys, thanks! :)

I am currently working on adding some packages to the site.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 116153 wrote:
    To answer your question, I would far prefer to deal with clients that don’t think web dev is some kind of product/commodity, but seeing as I’m still just starting out I’m just looking for something to help bring the clients in.

Just be prepared to fire those clients when you change markets.

It’s like mcdonalds suddenly deciding to sell $30 resturaunt meals…..their existing clientèle are gonna have to clear off. Mainly because they will want to pay $5 for a $30 meal and you can’t remain profitable like that.

IMO, choose the market you want to be in, go all out in that market…instead of changing…do whatever you have to do to get your foot in the door…in that market…

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 116115 wrote:
    Ok, with my website (see my sig) you will notice I don’t mention any prices or anything.

Now, this is because I don’t really believe in the idea of doing “website packages” like a “5-page site” for $995 or whatever, as I feel each website is different and shouldn’t be constrained to what the package says.

However, I do feel a lot of people may be put off by not seeing any prices, or perhaps only people with small budgets are….. I don’t know.

I have thought of adding something like this, but with conditions, whereas anything outside the scope is charged at my hourly rate. Sure, this won’t work for all sites, but I guess the idea can work for many types of sites.

Thoughts?

We’ve never offered packages, because we view websites the same as you do – they all have a different purpose, different requirements, different goal. No two sites are ever the same, so why try and force them into packages?

I also feel it cheapens the service a little, to be honest.

In short though, I don’t see it as a barrier. We’ve never had an issue with not showing prices on our site.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Thanks a lot Marnie.

Btw, love your site. I hope to have mine looking as good as that someday soon. :)

ABC
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

I can understand some customers wanting an idea – most won’t know what to expect and unfortunately, with so many businesses doing price advertising, they are doing you (and your fellow value based colleagues) a disservice.

Is it possible to give an indication of the kind of costs for simple v complex? If you have live examples, even better. You can choose to do this online or have them IM/email you and then you can talk them through.

Good luck

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

packages work because it’s human nature to compare. to really get this, i suggest you read dan ariely’s predictably irrational.

the type of package matters and how you structure. most web packages are featured oriented (4 pages, 10 pop email, 10gb bandwith, 3 static ips, 2 SSL ecommerce pages with 10 products per page and a partridge in a pan tree).

if you look at computer packages you will see that they have moved from feature and description to motivation (student, gamer, business, etc)

the fact is your end client couldn’t care less about pages, graphics or anything like that. they want results.

you really need to survey your target market and ask them how they would like to see web packages appear and what motivates them to buy a certian package over the other.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.