Home – New Forums Tech talk Page ranking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    247 Health
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::

I have just started a small online business and am trying to get my page rank up. I have gotten it 1/10 in 3 weeks but am not sure what else I can do. I have left blogs in numerous blogger sites, registered for twitter/tumblr/flickr/pinterest etc.

Will this have results in the long term? What else can I do on a budget?

Thanks.

247 Health

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

what do you mean by 1/10 ?

Steve

247 Health
    Up

When I go to page rank checker in google, my website page rank is 1/10

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Ive never heard of it, is this a service provided by google ?

Steve

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

From memory, not much stock should be placed in page rank. In order to be successful, you just need to blog regularly, network and invest in SEO.

Divert To Mobile
    Up

I thought that page ranking was the goal of seo and blogging etc.

Steve

clintmaher
    • Total posts: 306
    Up

Page Rank refers to an algo named after Larry Page of Google fame.

It’s part of the SERP algo.

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up

Hi Steve

I’m sure the SEO gurus will be able to elaborate, however in VERY basic terms my understanding is..

PageRank is a score between 0-10 assigned (by Google??) to website pages, based on the authority/importance of the site. 0=not good and 10=super good. You can check pages here.

Most people are usually more concerned with the position of their web page on the various search engine results pages.. I’m sure there must be a short name for this.

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Thats kind of depressing.
    Mine returned 1/10

Steve

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Forget “page rank” as an important indicator.
    More important is where you come on the “google” pages for your search terms that you seek to win on.
    If you get to number one on the page, you get the business.
    If you are any lower (but still on page one), you won’t get much at all.
    Depending on how competitive your search term is will dictate how hard you have to work to get on top.
    This is the dark art of SEO or search engine optimization and it is a slippery slope indeed.
    If the incumbent at the top of search pile is determined, you may never get to be the top of your chosen search term result.
    Most competitive searches are won by domains with “exact match” and heavy SEO campaigns.
    To give you an idea of what I mean, type in the search phrase “team building” and see how competitive the term is for search, the optimization and the adverts on the page, as well as how close the domains match the search terms.
    Just to get your ad on top is probably 10 dollars a click.
    All the best

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 129280 wrote:
    Thats kind of depressing.
    Mine returned 1/10

Steve

Hey Steve

Don’t let it get you down…. is your goal to have a high PageRank or to position well in SERPs? From what I can tell they are two very different things and it’s entirely possible to dominate in SERPs but still have a crappy PR.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

To further my point, my website has a page ranking of 1 but I am ranked fourth for proofreading and seventh for proofreading services.

Divert To Mobile
    Up

That makes me feel a lot better.

Steve

247 Health
    Up
    AngelaGirl, post: 129278 wrote:
    Hi Steve

Most people are usually more concerned with the position of their web page on the various search engine results pages.. I’m sure there must be a short name for this.

Thanks for the feedback. Are there other tools available to check this? Page importance, position etc? I am a novie but learning…

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

There are plenty of pages appearing at the top of the first page which don’t necessarily have a very good page rank.

I think my own site only has a 2/10, yet I consistently sit on the first page – sometimes in position 1 – for my keywords (I’m certainly not short on work either – most of which comes through my social networks and referrals).

However, this is not a one horse race and SEO is not the be-all-end-all. You also need to have good content, an easy to navigate site, great customer service, deliver a great product/service and foster online and offline relationships to help build word-of-mouth and referrals for your business.

Even many rather large corporate brands have page ranks of only 3-6/10.

I’d suggest to worry less about an arbitrary page rank number and focus more on a well-balanced marketing strategy (on-line or off… or both) and making sure your business is one customers can easily do business with – again and again.

Cheers,
    Anna

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.