Home – New Forums Tech talk Page Title = Meta Keywords: Good/Bad/Neutral for SEO?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    woolrest
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can weigh in on the following. Someone recommended that for our site’s category page titles we should use some targeted keywords, i.e.,

Category Page: Bed Sheets
    Page Title: Bed Sheets, Cotton Sheet Set, etc.
    Meta Keywords: Bed Sheets, Cotton Sheet Set, Sheets Bedding Sets, etc.

Given the limitation of our site, the workaround implemented was to set Page Title = Meta Keywords. (We can set meta description and keywords, but not title).

So now our product page titles are all keywords. Any opinion on whether this is good, bad, neutral for SEO purposes? Our consultant says its fine, but a second opinion would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Woolrest

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

I did something similar once.

I also removed the meta keywords tag from the template and edited the admin to call it the title tag. I.e completely switched the keyword option to being a title option.

Don’t just have your titles look like lists of keywords. It’s what people read before deciding to click to your site, so make sure they want to click .e.g.

Quality bed sheets and cotton sheet sets – large range

Tiggerito
    Up

I did something similar once.

I also removed the meta keywords tag from the template and edited the admin to call it the title tag. I.e completely switched the keyword option to being a title option.

Don’t just have your titles look like lists of keywords. It’s what people read before deciding to click to your site, so make sure they want to click .e.g.

Quality bed sheets and cotton sheet sets – large range

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up

As long as the keyword meta is able to accept sentences and not just a list of words then I don’t suppose it should matter than much.

As Tiggerito said, a list of keywords in your title will discourage people from clicking on your website when it comes up in search results.

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up

As long as the keyword meta is able to accept sentences and not just a list of words then I don’t suppose it should matter than much.

As Tiggerito said, a list of keywords in your title will discourage people from clicking on your website when it comes up in search results.

woolrest
    Up

Thanks both for the input, much appreciated. Time to get editing… =P

woolrest
    Up

Thanks both for the input, much appreciated. Time to get editing… =P

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

I know this thread isn’t totally new, but had something to add.

Meta Keywords tag is DEAD. It’s ignored by Google completely. It was created a long time ago, but then became so abused that search engines decided the easiest solution was to simply ignore it.

Google has said this time and time again that they don’t use them (most believe they stopped using them as part of the ranking algorithm some time in 2007 or 2008 – 4 or 5 years ago). Refer here: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com.au/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html

Re your actual question: Aside from being a ranking factor, the title also comes up in Google searches as your page title (in most cases). What you suggest isn’t really very human friendly, and will discourage clickthroughs.

If you cant set title on a page by page basis, it should still allow you to set it using a standard format. I would suggest

Your Site Name | %category_name%

where %category_name% is the name of the category.

I also have a bit more info about Title tags and meta tags on my Blog. It’s a post I wrote quite a while ago, but I still actually refer to it myself quite often (even though I wrote it), every time I have a mental blank and forget exactly how many characters I can have in a title or meta description! You might find it useful also: http://www.brandpolice.com.au/2010/08/seo-basics-title-meta-description-tags/

Hope this helps,
    Matt

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

I know this thread isn’t totally new, but had something to add.

Meta Keywords tag is DEAD. It’s ignored by Google completely. It was created a long time ago, but then became so abused that search engines decided the easiest solution was to simply ignore it.

Google has said this time and time again that they don’t use them (most believe they stopped using them as part of the ranking algorithm some time in 2007 or 2008 – 4 or 5 years ago). Refer here: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com.au/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html

Re your actual question: Aside from being a ranking factor, the title also comes up in Google searches as your page title (in most cases). What you suggest isn’t really very human friendly, and will discourage clickthroughs.

If you cant set title on a page by page basis, it should still allow you to set it using a standard format. I would suggest

I also have a bit more info about Title tags and meta tags on my Blog. It’s a post I wrote quite a while ago, but I still actually refer to it myself quite often (even though I wrote it), every time I have a mental blank and forget exactly how many characters I can have in a title or meta description! You might find it useful also: http://www.brandpolice.com.au/2010/08/seo-basics-title-meta-description-tags/

Hope this helps,
    Matt

Tiggerito
    Up
    marketingweb, post: 115661 wrote:

Hope this helps,
    Matt

As Matt says, this is not new stuff for us SEO guys, but it is to the general public.

With regard to Matts title suggestion, I’d personally use this sort of format:

What the Page is About | the Category the Page is In | your Brand name | your Location

The reason is that Google and people look at the whole title but tend to focus on the starting text.

That is a suggested automated format. However, you can’t beat a well crafted custom title and description.

I also have my own guides about titles and descriptions that agree with Matts article.

What I can add is a tool to see How your edits will look like in Google Search Results. This can help you visually see what your edits will look like.

Tiggerito
    Up
    marketingweb, post: 115661 wrote:

Hope this helps,
    Matt

As Matt says, this is not new stuff for us SEO guys, but it is to the general public.

With regard to Matts title suggestion, I’d personally use this sort of format:

What the Page is About | the Category the Page is In | your Brand name | your Location

The reason is that Google and people look at the whole title but tend to focus on the starting text.

That is a suggested automated format. However, you can’t beat a well crafted custom title and description.

I also have my own guides about titles and descriptions that agree with Matts article.

What I can add is a tool to see How your edits will look like in Google Search Results. This can help you visually see what your edits will look like.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Before Aidan sees this post…

As far as I’m aware, Google has NEVER “read” the keyword meta tag.

There are scores of different activities on which you can spend your time to increase your SE referrals that will be more productive than the time wasting keyword meta tag.
    Regs,
    JohnW

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Before Aidan sees this post…

As far as I’m aware, Google has NEVER “read” the keyword meta tag.

There are scores of different activities on which you can spend your time to increase your SE referrals that will be more productive than the time wasting keyword meta tag.
    Regs,
    JohnW

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Google say that the title is supposed to be related to the content on the page. For this reason it is important to have a unique title for each page. If you want people to find your page in Google when they type in your business name and location, then go ahead and stuff that into your title. If you want people to find your page because they are looking for what’s on the page, (the content), then use title appropriately.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Google say that the title is supposed to be related to the content on the page. For this reason it is important to have a unique title for each page. If you want people to find your page in Google when they type in your business name and location, then go ahead and stuff that into your title. If you want people to find your page because they are looking for what’s on the page, (the content), then use title appropriately.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.