Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Paid for Mailing Lists

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up
    ::

Has anyone ever paid for an email mailing list? What was the conversion rate like, by conversions I mean percentage of enquiries / total number of emails.

And…

I’m considering buying one as they’re less than $200, and I’ve wrote a little app that spits out an email every 12 seconds as my host allows me to send 400 per hour. At what point will my domain become black listed?!

Cheers!

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

there are too many variables to provide any meaningful response but some things to consider.

1. If they are not optin and you are sending to them then it is spam. You could get blacklisted by every ISP in the world.
    2. The lists could be junk – how well do you know how they were sourced.
    3. Responses will be based on point 1, and also how good the message subject, and then the message content.
    4. Any list for $200. I think this answers most questions. good clean rental lists, sent through the supplier’s own servers (to their subscribers) will set you back $3-500/1000 and around $400 setup. So does $200 sound too good to be true? Then it is ;)

Khaz0r
    Participant
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

As King has stated, there are too many variables and there isn’t really an answer to your question.

Being a cold list – I would consider an excellent conversion rate to be 2%. However, in saying that it depends on your ROI. You might have a conversion rate of 0.01% but it made you $2000 from your initial $200 outlay and I would consider that to be successful.

Side note: From what I’ve heard from a recent ADMA direct mailing workshop is that lists can be up to 2 years out of date.

With email lists, companies generally charge a set up fee and also require a minimum order. You usually need to spend a few Gs for a list.

Factors that will determine your campaign’s success include and are not limited to:
    – The accuracy of the list
    – Is the list targeted to your target audience?
    – Does the title of your email make people want to open it?
    – Is the message compelling and does it have a strong call to action?
    – The timing of your message

Hope that helps and good luck with your campaign.

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    King, post: 116258 wrote:
    1. If they are not optin and you are sending to them then it is spam. You could get blacklisted by every ISP in the world.

And you would breach the Spam Act and could cop a big $$$ penalty. And ACMA does have the power to issue infringement notices, just like a speeding fine.

King
    Up

If you are wanting to use a legal list, I can facilitate this for you. Prices as per my previous post. You can define the demographics of the list age/sex/occupation/location.

You would need to have a min budget of around $3000 to reach the minimum level the owners would be interested in.

They would insert your email creative into their template.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

i don’t pay for an email lists. I have thought about it but only for a list of buyers ie, people have bought something and not just plain leads.

Then again, why gamble money when you can do a JV with someone that has a relationship with their big list and endorses your product of services in exchange for a declared commission?

Unless a list broker guarantees me revenue that covers my cost, i would not take a chance. IT’s hard to separate the dodgey ones from the legit and there are some sneaky tactics used against the list renter.

Besides, you really need a multi email campaign, test subject lines, offers, email layout (HTML vs RTF), email service providers (mailchimp, icontact and aweber) and above all, you need to remove any words that can be picked up by the spam filter. my list is 350+ words and counting.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 116569 wrote:
    Then again, why gamble money when you can do a JV with someone that has a relationship with their big list and endorses your product of services in exchange for a declared commission?This is a good point. How would somebody go about finding JV list partners?
    IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

I was just about to ask the very same question Matthew! I’m also considering bizz buzz too – anyone had any luck with that?

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    Up

JV s are simple but humans make them complex. If the approach is to get others to sell “our” products then you aren’t looking for JV partners but a commission only sales person.

A JV is all about creating a bigger pie. You have to demonstrate value which means it’s more about the mindset than deal making. It takes time too because most will not want to risk their reputation. Do you have the patience?

The deal should be simple. The partner should do no more than send letters or send emails already draftet by you. You have to do the heavy loading to make it easy for the partner.

The biggest hurdles are creating unnecessary complicated contracts (lawyers are the biggest deal killers), demonstrating credibility (better than risk free offer), not willing to recommend 3rd party products and services to your own list and being narrow minded e.g not willing to share more than 50% of the profits if you are the one wanting to tap into someone else’s list.

Step one is to ask businesses if they are open to add value to existing clients and increase sales/revenue by entering into strategic alliances/partnerships.

The top JV deal makers don’t try to make money on the first deal. They just want the list so they can make money on the back end. This often means giving 50% – 100%+ of the profit to the list owner.

Depending on the industry, it’s even worthwhile making a loss on the front end.

Would you rather put money into a list of leads who have never bought or a list of buyers who have spent money? Which is worth more?

King
    Up

The issue of JV is the quality of their list. They may have a spam list….
    It would be a hard sell to offer a % or sales, the back end in tracking etc is costly and complex, plus there is the issue of the conversion capacity of the advertiser.

If I had a list, I would not entertain the idea of JV unless there were proven stats. I would prefer just to provide access.

I also think it is important to keep in mind the capability of most readers of this forum. To embark on initiating complex conversion tracking, time consuming negotiations and costs associated with such, etc is something most do not have the time, financial and perhaps even the personal capability to do.

Even the costs of simple and ‘relatively’ inexpensive list rental is beyond most flying soloists (based on my experience of talking to people on a regular basis abut email and SMS marketing).

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    Up

The most common JV that every slow is aware of is when conveyancers, real estate agents, mortgage brokers, accountants and valuers pool their money to hold a free workshop.

You get more as a group than as individuals. Anyone can do this. IT might be worth paying someone to put it together because most people are busy and need to be held accountable.

That’s as simple as it gets and creates instant credibility / authority – if done correctly.

Another one could be doing a teleseminar and pooling the marketing budget to attract new leads by google ads.

another example is writing articles or creating videos for your JV partner’s newsletters. How many of us stop sending newsletters because there is no time to create a 4 pager? Easier to pool resources and in this case, it’s leveraging other’s time and talent.

there is no shortage of JV examples for the solo. We just need to “give” to get and that’s where most small businesses owners hang on to small thinking.

King
    Up

The thread is about email lists.

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up
    King, post: 116610 wrote:
    The thread is about email lists.

I think Khalid is trying to help people here by sharing the fact that you don’t have to buy an email list. A JV is a great way to access the already warm leads of another complimentary business without it costing an arm and a leg. You can use barter instead of cash to gain access to the list. When orchestrated correctly, a JV can be a win/win situation for all concerned with little to no capital outlay.

King
    Up

No he has strayed away from mailing lists which is what is the OP’s topic, to talking about seminars.

Yes you can talk to a business with an established list, but my earlier points still stand.

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up
    King, post: 116616 wrote:
    No he has strayed away from mailing lists which is what is the OP’s topic, to talking about seminars.

Yes you can talk to a business with an established list, but my earlier points still stand.

He talked about teleseminar, not seminar. One of the best ways to build marketplace authority is to record a teleseminar and promote it to somebody else’s list.

“another example is writing articles or creating videos for your JV partner’s newsletters.”

Many businesses have email lists that they send their Newsletters to.

Khalid Adam, post: 116569 wrote:
    i don’t pay for an email lists. I have thought about it but only for a list of buyers ie, people have bought something and not just plain leads.

Then again, why gamble money when you can do a JV with someone that has a relationship with their big list and endorses your product of services in exchange for a declared commission?

Khalid’s advice here is very sound marketing advice and could be of great benefit to those who care to listen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.