Home – New Forums Tech talk Parked domain or URL forwarding?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    geegee
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    ::

I have my main website as http://www.thehorsestall.com.au. And this is my hosted domain too. The website is under http://www.thehorsestall.com.au/store/ but is redirected to www .thehorsestall.com.au.
    I have started up a seperate website/business under http://www.thehorsestall.com.au/chainwheel. I have purchased the domain name chainwheeljewellery.com.au and it is currently parked at ]www .thehorsestall.com.auand redirected to www .thehorsestall.com.au/chainwheel/.
    So when customers type in http://www.chainwheeljewellery.com.au they do get redirected to the correct website. However in the address bar it still says www .thehorsestall.com.au/chainwheel/.
    I think this may be confusing for customers and would really prefer not seeing thehorsestall mentioned in the address.
    I spoke to my hosting business and they said the only way was to have a seperate hosting account for chainwheeljewellery.com.au.
    Is this the only option?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

It’s seems your hosting company only allows one domain per hosting account.

You will either need to change hosts to one that allows add on domains, or buy another hosting service.

Hope this helps :)

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Robyn,

In a cPanel hosting environment (not sure if you are using this or not) you would use an “Add on domain”. This allows having as many websites as you want using the 1 web hosting account.
    Some cheaper (and sometimes not so cheap) web hosting accounts restrict the use of add on domains.

geegee
    Up

Yes I do use cpanel and it has an add-on domain section. And I just looked in the stats and it says add-on domains 0/0. So I suppose this means I can have none. Might have to look at hosting somewhere else next time.
    Do you think it is a major problem for customers to see thehorsestall address?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Yep it’s a major issue.

I would sort out, even if you need to change hosts.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Often times a hosting company will have a basic hosting package with zero addon domains and more expensive hosting packages which include addon domains – if you let us know (or PM) who your hosting company is we can help determine what is possible.

geegee
    Up
    ray_223, post: 125811 wrote:
    Often times a hosting company will have a basic hosting package with zero addon domains and more expensive hosting packages which include addon domains – if you let us know (or PM) who your hosting company is we can help determine what is possible.

I am with Webcity and their Business Pro plan. It seems they only allow add-on domains for private server customers. I may have to go somewhere else. Hostgator seems to allow add-on domains.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

I don’t usually recommend using the add-on domain feature as it has the potential to get messy – a mistake in cPanel when configuring one site can result in downtime or errors on all of your sites.

I’d suggest either a second hosting package (with your current host or any other) or if many other sites is a requirement for you then look at a reseller package with WHM so each site gets it’s own cPanel but you can manage them all centrally from within WHM.

Good luck.
    John

geegee
    Up
    onsiteTECHS, post: 125839 wrote:
    I’d suggest either a second hosting package (with your current host or any other) or if many other sites is a requirement for you then look at a reseller package with WHM so each site gets it’s own cPanel but you can manage them all centrally from within WHM.

Decided to get a second hosting package with someone else. Just 6 months for now, to see how it goes. If it turns out OK I will move thehorsestall.com.au over to them too.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.