Home – New Forums Other discussions Part-Time for Myself, Part-Time for Someone Else Is Getting Difficult…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Breevree73
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone.
    Just a question for those of you who still work part time for another person while you build up your own business – as I do.
    How do you combat the urge to just throw in the towel and go 100% for yourself? My own business doesn’t earn anything yet, so I still need the additional income, but I’m finding I can’t get things done for my business because the time I need to be spending on them, I am ‘at work’.
    Quite apart from that, I am not really enthused ‘at work’ anymore – I feel like I’m just putting in the hours – my work gets done, but my heart is elsewhere.
    Having said that, I have the best job and the best boss, who let me potter off when I need to (within reason), have heaps of flexibility, and my wage is pretty good. My partner will have a coronary if I say “I want to chuck it in” without having any income through my own business, and fair enough too.
    So, what do I do?? How do I (a) stay sane (b) get everything done and (c) keep on giving my best for my boss??
    Any advice would be appreciated!
    Cheers
    Bree

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Working part time//part time is so difficult. Having your head in two different spaces.

I knew it was the right time to leave employment when I was just far too busy in my business, and had the possibility of making more money if I was working full time in it.

It was a very calculated risk for me, though as I knew there wouldn’t be a huge lag in time before I was making full time $..

Are you prepared for growth in your business? Maybe dedicate a few nights per week to heavily marketing it, and see where it goes..

Malvolio
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

I have been there before too, and while it was great in the beginning, it got to the point where the business needed me more to help it grow. It is a calculated risk to leave, but the golden rule here is to plan ahead before you leave. It would be ideal to get some kind of income started from your own business first (you still need to pay the bills and eat!) – what’s stopping your business from currently bringing in an income, is it still in the planning stages?

Sarah

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Bree,

I’d like to echo the sentiments that you aren’t alone in finding this tricky! I went through the same thing and found the ‘noise’ that my enthusiasm for my solo biz created did impinge on my focus in my job.

I found giving up TV (and wine!) gave me a few extra hours each night to focus on building up my writing biz. I also found taking a notepad to my job and jotting down ideas and to dos when they popped in to my head helpful (it was pre device days!). I’d then try not to let my mind wander or lock in to those topics whilst at work.

Another thing I was able to do, which was a bit sneaky, was persuade my boss to let me tackle the company’s marketing material as a ‘side project’. I ripped it to bits, improved it loads, learnt heaps and got good practise working with a ‘client’. Obviously this only works if the work you’re doing in your job and for yourself are different, but in many ways this gave me the confidence to springboard into my own biz full time, and my ex employer remained a client for some time.

As for when is the right time to let go totally? Ah, that’s a tricky one. Peter wrote about it a while ago.

Best of luck!

Sam

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Bree,

Your describing 2 issues.
    1. part time work is affecting your business.
    2. you have lost the passion for the part time job.

You could try to get a couple hours in at night to counter the first issue. I dont know how your household operates but while my wife is watching one of her programs she loves (but I hate) I sit with her and work on the laptop.

Regarding the second problem. There are a few ways to try and motivate yourself. For me, when I have a task I’m not interested in doing, I try to convince myself that it is something I am looking forward to doing by focusing on the positive outcomes or results.

best of luck,

Steve

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Maybe I’ve had too much good coffe this morning, but who employs a “business champion” whose doing it part time?

Some businesses work fine part time as you build them, or supplement other work, but business coaching?

I’m sure your services are well worth it, and you know your stuff, but if I was in the market for this service and got a sniff you had a job, you’d be off the list immediately.

I think in this case you’re either “on the bus” leading by example, or risk disillusioning clients.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.