Home – New Forums Tech talk Paying over the phone through which kind of number?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    happyez
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    ::

Heya all

I am conun drumming at the moment about taking payments over the phone through my mobile. These will be nationwide, not limited to one location.

I am considering a 1300 number for people to enquire through, and ultimately pay. Getting them to only pay through Paypal on the site may mean that I lose sales. If I can lead straight onto a payment when they make their mind up, it will be a lot better.

Then, how it looks on my site.
    “Pay through Visa or Mastercard on 0433 XXX XXX”

or

“Pay through Visa or Mastercard on 1300 XXX XXX”

The 1300 looks far better, and more dependable.

What do you guys think? Obviously, there are call costs and for diversion, using an answering service to divert. Maybe people don’t care, but it’s that 0425 XXX XXX number that is of concern.

I am in a shared office that has no landline. I would have to install one, that costs money, so diverting to a landline is not an option.

Any thoughts?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there happyez,

It sounds like you need to have a good chat with one of our forum members, Steve from Divert to Mobile.

I’m sure he’ll be able to advise you on this.

All the best,
    Jayne

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi happyez,

I totally agree that having a contact number on a website taking payments inspires consumer confidence. I also agree that a static number indicates a more established business than a mobile number, which can also positively influence consumer confidence. So I think your on the right track.

That said, I have not noticed any difference in consumer confidence between using a 1300 – 13 – or 1800 number to using a city based land line number.

happyez, post: 167996 wrote:
    I am in a shared office that has no landline. I would have to install one, that costs money, so diverting to a landline is not an option.

Any thoughts?

The solution.
    You can get a landline number for $10 per month without having to install one. It divert straight to your mobile. It provides more flexibility, more features at less cost than 13/1300/1800 numbers. You can read about it here or call me. 02 91917300

Steve

KellyB
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

As a consumer, I would probably prefer a 1300 number over a mobile when making a payment, I think it just looks more legitimate/professional. As Steve has mentioned, a local number would be fine too. Just my opinion though :)

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Hi Happyez,

Do you have requirements to take payments in other ways? (Through website etc?)

The reason I ask is that we provide IVR payments as an option with all accounts. No additional account fees, the transaction cost is just a little higher to cover the call cost. You’ll receive a Sydney, 1300 and 1800 call number and the payment is then processed automatically without you needing to process it.

Let me know if you’d like more info.

Maclean

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

The 1300 number looks way more profesh – but as a consumer, there’s no way I could be bothered picking up the phone to make a credit card payment when I could pay with my credit card via Paypal – it’s not going to cost ME anymore, plus I get buyer protection and no random people get access to my credit card details.

happyez
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Hi all

Great to see these replies.

bluepenguin – yes, I think you are right actually. The original idea was that if they want to pay straight up, then can go through PP or ring me and I can take payments over the phone. When I do take payments over the phone, it will be mostly because they have the last objection answered and they give the all clear to buy.
    But yeah, would they ring in the first place, or pay through Paypal on the website.
    The 1300 (not 13 or 1800) would be an information point really, as well as a place they could pay if they wanted to. The benefits of 1300 seem to be: a national look; professional; not so small-frey if a mobile is the only option to call us on. Downsides are cost – a local number is cheaper. These days it doesn’t seem to matter as mobiles make everyone (inter)national.

kellyB – Agreed. I don’t want my mobile as a payment. And 1300 seems like one of those things you get if you want a professional package that will one day equal reality! :|)

Divert To Mobile – Hi. Thanks for the offer. I thought you only get a local landline number if you have your office wired up. I may give you a call soon. Like to find out more….

eWAY – Hi Maclean. I don’t have a merchant account set up (no banking history etc) and a seemingly lot of upfront fees for about the same % per transaction, and Paypal would cover my needs for now. But I want to do merchant one day when the sales show it. At least, that’s what I think (errp). I’ll look up IVR. Many acronyms many acronyms padme.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up
    happyez, post: 168158 wrote:
    eWAY – Hi Maclean. I don’t have a merchant account set up (no banking history etc) and a seemingly lot of upfront fees for about the same % per transaction, and Paypal would cover my needs for now. But I want to do merchant one day when the sales show it. At least, that’s what I think (errp). I’ll look up IVR. Many acronyms many acronyms padme.

No problem at all, just thought I would put the info up in case it was of interest. IVR is just the fancy acronym for automated phone payments, like when you call up to pay your Telstra or Foxtel bill. It stands for Interactive Voice Response which, personally, I think is more confusing than explanatory!

Maclean

AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Hi

Not sure if you have got the information and services that you require but wanted to extend a hand of assistance if you need it.

Being involved with the 1300/1800 industry over the past 10 years, we lean towards this obviously. The confidence and brand perception in our humble opinion is quite different but as a second preference a local DID would be ok also, etc 02XXX

Perhaps a click to call button also would be cool. Much the same benefit as a 1300/1800 because the caller doesn’t pay, you do on their behalf.

Anyway, good luck and if you need anything at all, feel free to give us a yell on 1300 OZETEL (693835)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.