Home – New Forums Starting your journey Paying Suppliers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AquaGirl
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    ::

Hi all

I’m importing products by post (only small quantities) and have a few final questions.

* If the supplier doesnt have a section on their website to pay by credit card, is it safe to give details on the phone?

* Is it ok just to send an order by email or should I request a form with their company logo etc?

* If I simply choose the option for the package to be “tracked” rather than insured, if the parcel gets lost can I get my money back if i paid by credit card?

* Finally, does the debit/credit card have to be under my business name or is it ok to be under my name?

Thank you soo much
    Linda

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

My view:

Yes – just as safe, as long as you know who you are dealing with
    Yes, a logo proves nothing – email is fine
    Tracked is not the same as insured. Depending on the value of the package, insurance is good,…well….insurance!
    Up to you what card you use – as long as you track the payments correctly for tax purposes.

AquaGirl
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Thanks King, that was great info

So do all parcels go through customs before getting to australia post? ive just ordered a package worth $500 altogether… how will customs know its not over $1000 since id rather not pay duties for no reason?

How long do international parcels take to arrive here, generally?

cheers
    Linda

spotty
    • Total posts: 36
    Up

When I send orders to the USA Australia Post quotes 5-7 working days but I have found that it is always more like 10-12 days.

one1
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    AquaGirl, post: 20461 wrote:
    Thanks King, that was great info

So do all parcels go through customs before getting to australia post? ive just ordered a package worth $500 altogether… how will customs know its not over $1000 since id rather not pay duties for no reason?

How long do international parcels take to arrive here, generally?

cheers
    Linda

The sender declares the package value when sending it. If it is over $1000, or if Australia Post examine the package and think the items may be worth over $1000, Customs/Australia Post will send you a form requesting more details.

Gordon Akman
    • Total posts: 229
    Up

For the amounts you are talking about definitely pay by credit card even if you have to pay a fee for doing so. The advantage with paying by credit card is you have the opportunity to dispute the transaction if you feel you have been defrauded.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    AquaGirl, post: 20188 wrote:
    Hi all
    * If the supplier doesnt have a section on their website to pay by credit card, is it safe to give details on the phone?

In reality, if the person you are dealing with on the phone decided to write down your credit card and do some online shopping, it will be traced back to them. The customer is right 99% of the time with fraud, so I’d say your pretty safe.

Hi all
    * Is it ok just to send an order by email or should I request a form with their company logo etc?

Providing you know the email correspondence is being sent to the company you are supposed to be dealing with. Check the email address to make sure it matches the domain.

Hi all
    Linda

In reality, if the person you are dealing with on the phone decided to write down your credit card and do some online shopping, it will be traced back to them. The customer is right 99% of the time with fraud, so I’d say your pretty safe.

Hi all
    * If I simply choose the option for the package to be “tracked” rather than insured, if the parcel gets lost can I get my money back if i paid by credit card?

Check your suppliers terms and conditions, this will tell you who is liable for lost packages.

Hi all
    * Finally, does the debit/credit card have to be under my business name or is it ok to be under my name?
    Theres no problem with it being under your name, but I would recommend having it under a business name as it will help with accounting.

Yours in print,

Jake

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.