Home – New Forums Money matters PayPal Buyer Protection – Query

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Hi All

Just wanting to see if any of our eBay folk have had much experience with paypal disputes and buyers logging claims as “significantly not as described” for items that may have been damaged in transit or by the client themselves when unpacking it?

If so, how did you fair and how was paypal throughout the process?

And any tips for someone dealing with a claim of this manner?

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Rico
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

Hi Jason,

Sad to say but if you don’t have any evidence that the item was in good conditions when you packed it, it is better to find an agreement with the buyer, otherwise PayPal will take the money from you anyway. They are always on the side of the buyer in those situations.
    If you think that the item was properly packed but that it was damaged during the transport you can try to contact Australia Post or your courrier. Australia Post can be surprisingly good to deal with in those situations.

Next time, if you are shipping an item overseas in a country where it may get stolen or if it is fragile, take photos during the packaging process, usually PayPal will recognize those photos as proof of packaging and shipping.

Rico

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Thanks Rico

Its a little frustrating.. we are a family run business and treat everyone as family, the way we like to be dealt with…. We check every item as it leaves us, and we know without a doubt how it left us…

Unfortunately our items are large and cant ship via australiapost… so cant go them and the box it was shipped in was not damaged.. so cant go freight as items box was fine.

Ouch… thats really the only word i have…. :(

Thanks for input Rico..

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about this mishap, I guess it’s kind of inevitable from time to time in a business like yours.

My advice is to inform your customers to contact you directly if there are any dramas rather than to try and resolve it through PayPal. The reason is that disputes raised within PayPal can hold money up for weeks while they ‘investigate’.

Perhaps you may consider photographing items prior to shipment, and asking your customer to supply ‘after’ pictures will make claims against your courier easier for you. Either way, ensuring your end customer is not out of pocket is a priority, sort that out and you’re more likely to get their help making your claim. You have no choice but to give them the benefit of the doubt!

Good luck,

Sam

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Ahhhh, Paypal’s buyer protection…?

Yep, as a seller you have no protection basically, all power is with the buyer. Hence, as said above, you need to have evidence to counter claim, and far better evidence than the buyer.

I had someone not accept a shipment to Germany once, and Paypal returned the entire payment (including postage) to the buyer. I had to send photographs showing the courier company’s evidence of parcel not being accepted, to show that the buyer’s claim of “not being as described” couldn’t be true since they didn’t open it, and even then it took months, and a half dozen emails and eventual threat to take them to Dep of Fair Trading or them to refund the courier costs ($50). I am sure they paid it themselves, meaning the buyer did get away with it.

Paypal is great as a buyer! As a seller, I wish there were better alternatives that could be used for taking international payments.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

While I do not deal on eBay, I have heard many, many stories which go completely with what everyone else here has said on the basis that they seem to side with the buyer rather than the seller.

I know this does not relate to your case, but I had also been told that when dealing internationally outside ebay, there is no protection at all from paypal. Maybe someone else with more knowledge than me can clrify this as i thought it may also be a valid point.

Its a little frustrating.. we are a family run business and treat everyone as family, the way we like to be dealt with

In my business I have turned into a cynical bugger, but I am sorry to say there are just too many vultures out there looking for an easy mark, so you need to be so vigilant.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    Johny, post: 125389 wrote:
    I know this does not relate to your case, but I had also been told that when dealing internationally outside ebay, there is no protection at all from paypal. Maybe someone else with more knowledge than me can clrify this as i thought it may also be a valid point.
    Yes there is. As a buyer.
    SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

What proof has the buyer given you that it was damaged in transit? Can you ask for photos?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.