Home – New Forums Selling online Paypal for multiple websites – one account, or one per?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    iWin
    Participant
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

I’ve got a paypal account for the business (Pty Ltd with ABN), which I’ve used on and off for various purchases/payments over the last few years.

I have also registered two business names with ASIC for the same entity (their new version of “Trading Name”). Each business name will relate to a single (retail) website. Initially we’ll be using paypal to take paypal/visa/MC payments.

The question is – what works better for Paypal/Accounting/Branding purposes..

1. A separate paypal business account for each business name
    2. A single paypal account for the Entity Name and add email addresses for each business

Paypal have no issue setting up separate accounts for the same ABN with different business names, so it comes down to practicality/branding.

From a marketing/branding perspective, having the paypal payment show up on credit card statements, invoices etc. as being from the appropriate website name makes sense to me. Its one of those little details which from personal experience makes it easier for the consumer when checking credit card bills.

From a management perspective, it might be slightly simpler to have a single paypal account.

Has anyone done this, and have any advice on practical pro’s/con’s for such a setup?

BenAtherton
    • Total posts: 60
    Up

As far as I know the only Con to having one PP account is where pople see the business name at the top of the payment screen.

Some in your situation might have their PP account registered to an umbrella company or trust and send payment from all other sites to the same account “trading as”.

Having never any reason to open more than one PP account myself, Im not sure if you able to link to the same bank account from more than one PP account?

food for thought anyway!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hello iWin,

I have some experience with this, and you can do either, but on the whole I’d recommend going with two separate accounts.

Your branding will be clearly defined in each account, and I can’t see any big downside management-wise. It might even help to distinguish the results for each business more clearly.

There is a way to customise/brand your payment pages for each email address (i.e. each business) (see the 2nd article below) but one thing you can’t customise for each email is the description on the bank statements of your customers – you’d usually use a common parent business.

For an overview of your choices, see this article:
    http://www.50startups.com.au/tutorials/one-paypal-account-multiple-websites-solved/
    For instructions for setting up multiple email addresses and branding, see this article:
    http://www.50startups.com.au/tutorials/paypal-setup-for-multiple-websites/

I wrote these a couple of years ago on an old blog. You will ultimately run into a couple of limitations with the multiple email addresses, so separate accounts will make life simpler and will give a more reliable checkout experience.

Good luck!

Dave

iWin
    Participant
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    FS Forum Support, post: 209284 wrote:
    Your branding will be clearly defined in each account, and I can’t see any big downside management-wise. It might even help to distinguish the results for each business more clearly.

I wrote these a couple of years ago on an old blog. You will ultimately run into a couple of limitations with the multiple email addresses, so separate accounts will make life simpler and will give a more reliable checkout experience.

Dave, thats exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks!

Sounds like my thoughts on creating separate accounts for branding purposes was the right way to go, thanks for the benefit of your experience!

I’ve been using my personal paypal account for years with multiple email addresses for various purposes, so was familiar with that setup, I just had reservations about it for a proper business.

Having customers pause and wonder whether the transaction was credit card fraud whilst going over their statement just doesn’t sit well with me. I know that’s what they’ll think, because when I look through my own statement, I’m always looking for unexpected/inexplicable purchases, and it irritates me that some merchants I buy from show up on a statement as something else completely.

I’ve just created one of the two new paypal business accounts, so now I have two business paypal accounts! Number three will be created shortly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.