Home – New Forums Selling online PayPal to increase conversions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    eContactLenses
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi

I’ve been selling online for a couple of years using a payment gateway and have heard that having an option to pay through PayPal may increase my conversions. Would love to hear opinions and experience on this.

Thanks

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Jen-Ni

There are a few experts in here that may have facts for this (they host ecoms) although the perception is that some people feel ‘safer’ with paypal as they have been heavily influenced with advertising and ebay processes so it is also something familiar.

Generally speaking, the more options provide less obstacles :)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jen,

Welcome to Flying Solo :)

I hope you find the info you need soon.

All the best,
    Jayne

dangaff
    • Total posts: 244
    Up

I’ve definitely had many more sales since I introduced PayPal on my website. However, I wouldn’t know if that same person would’ve purchased it anyway by adding it to the cart and then I would’ve sent the direct deposit details.

Perhaps it has minimised abandon carts. Nevertheless, it’s made their life easier and mine too a bit.

eContactLenses
    Up

Thanks everyone! The cost per transaction will be higher with PayPal than what I am currently paying now, but if the conversions increase then it will be worth implementing.

Good point on the trust Jason and great to hear that you saw a sales increase dangaff.

dangaff
    • Total posts: 244
    Up

Coincidentally about 15 minutes after writing my post, I had to call a customer which wasn’t receiving emails. He said he preferred to pay via PayPal due to the safety and he is rather ‘hesitant’ with an online business with no physical address until he can develop a rapport.

Jen.Q, post: 193080 wrote:
    Good point on the trust Jason and great to hear that you saw a sales increase dangaff.

I pass on the fee, which people don’t seem to mind too much. If they did, they can always pay with direct deposit.

I realised PayPal is far cheaper to use than a bank credit card facility which I had in the past. This was only because I wasn’t meeting the monthly minimum (and even if I was, the % fee was still probably greater than PayPal).

In saying that, I would like to speak to eWay (been waiting on a reply PM for quite some time now – will try emailing instead). They appear to have a no monthly minimum and decent rates. They also support my kind of products, whereas PayPal will shut my account down promptly.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    dangaff, post: 193091 wrote:
    Coincidentally about 15 minutes after writing my post, I had to call a customer which wasn’t receiving emails. He said he preferred to pay via PayPal due to the safety and he is rather ‘hesitant’ with an online business with no physical address until he can develop a rapport.

I pass on the fee, which people don’t seem to mind too much. If they did, they can always pay with direct deposit.

I realised PayPal is far cheaper to use than a bank credit card facility which I had in the past. This was only because I wasn’t meeting the monthly minimum (and even if I was, the % fee was still probably greater than PayPal).

In saying that, I would like to speak to eWay (been waiting on a reply PM for quite some time now – will try emailing instead). They appear to have a no monthly minimum and decent rates. They also support my kind of products, whereas PayPal will shut my account down promptly.

Great stuff mate,

Personally i struggle with paypals fees, although i think we are now on 2% but with the value of some of my items i cringe when they pay on paypal :( and, unfortunately, i do not pass on merchant charges…

We have recently added paypal and taken 3 payments over our own merchant facility or directdeposit as a result.. Thats ok i think.. and its near impossible to gauge if we would have lost them or not..

Re merchant fees, again due to the value of our items, we tend to hit the minimum and run at about half the percentage rate opposed to paypals which is $10 savings on every $1000 sold which is a significant amount for us over a month.. its a few coffees a week ;) Although we have switched from a physical machine as our gateway to a purely online process through a big 4 bank which allows us to integrate web site as well as process MOTO transactions.. No problems to date after 18 months with current supplier.

Awesome update though mate..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    aaron.miller
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

I find that my personal customers prefer paypal and my business customers prefer credit card or direct deposit. PayPal is very expensive compared to our merchant rate, but you have to have it.
    Like Jason we dropped our physical terminal and process all moto transactions online thru nab transact.
    One huge benefit we get from transact is that you can search for any transaction processed thru the system for at least the last year. I have lots of repeat customers, they ring or email me with there orders. I can look up there last credit card transaction and choose repeat, the system has saved their full card details all I need to do is enter the transaction reference and amount.
    My customers love this. You can do this thru eway as well but they charge us $0.60 per transaction, compared to nothing thru transact excluding of course the msf

Sorry to get a bit off track

Aaron

eContactLenses
    Up

Great stuff everyone, looks like its worth giving PayPal a go.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Hey Jen-Ni

Glad you posted this, it is always interesting to see peoples take on alternative payment methods.. Especially the why’s and why nots etc

Good luck

Jason

eContactLenses
    Up

Thanks for your help Jason!

zhenjie
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Definitely integrate Paypal on your site as you really have nothing to lose. Keep a tab on your conversions before and after.

From my experience, having BOTH Paypal and our Merchant facility (or Stripe) has increased checkout conversions over just having one or the other.

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Paypal is a very trusted thing, we use paypal and eway combination.

You can use eWay to do you paypal as well, they just pass on the paypal payments.

Having said that.
    PayHere paypal mobile is fantastic, works on you mobile phone and as such is a fantastic tool to get payments over the phone etc using credit cards.

Like others said, paypal is almost a “must” for your site. Clicking buttons instead of entering cc details will for sure increase your conversion.

help4bis.com

eContactLenses
    Up
    help4bis.com, post: 193642 wrote:
    Paypal is a very trusted thing, we use paypal and eway combination.

You can use eWay to do you paypal as well, they just pass on the paypal payments.

Having said that.
    PayHere paypal mobile is fantastic, works on you mobile phone and as such is a fantastic tool to get payments over the phone etc using credit cards.

Like others said, paypal is almost a “must” for your site. Clicking buttons instead of entering cc details will for sure increase your conversion.

help4bis.com

Thanks, its almost set up, looking forward to some good results. It’s been great to get so much positive feedback, convincing me to take the step!

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    eContactLenses, post: 193702 wrote:
    Thanks, its almost set up, looking forward to some good results. It’s been great to get so much positive feedback, convincing me to take the step!

Howdy Jen-Hi

Great to hear… hope all is running smoothly for you and ‘everyone’ is helping you out – particularly PayPal!

Let us know what you see yourself.. since putting it on our site, we have done 4 sales which i was surprised about… i asked 2 of them why, and it was that they had money in there accounts to use :) happy to take that from them.. LOL

Cheers
    Jason

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.