Home – New Forums Money matters Payroll Software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    merryfield
    Participant
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hello, I would appreciate some advice regarding a payroll setup.

We have been running our cleaning business for 3 years, and use a program called instant invoice and cashbook for our book keeping… we love its simplicity.

We have just taken on a couple of staff and are not sure whether to run a paper payroll system, online or software based.

I had a look at several software packages… all seem very complex.

Online systems seem rather pricey for just one or two employees.

We are not sure whether we will ever grow larger as a business.

Do you think a paper based recording system would be a wise move?

If not, could you recommend a simple software setup?

angela123
    • Total posts: 310
    Up

Not sure which one you should use, but I would definitely find out what Qld Health use and run a mile in the opposite direction!

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

You don’t sound confident about using payroll software.

Why not start with a paper system and see how you go? If it works for you, great, if not you can spend some time looking for a system you feel comfortable with :)

In your software I’m assuming you would then enter payroll gross, tax, super and nett payments as a single entry through your payments?

Wendy

StellarScott
    • Total posts: 239
    Up

There’s quite a few advantages in using an online system

-superannuation and tax calculations are automatic

-quarterly reporting is done by 1 report

-year end obligations can be met much easier

-workcover calculations automatic

As long as its set up properly saves lots of time and stress and at $25 per month for some of the web products I’d definitely recommend on line

RapidEntryBiz
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

For a small business with one or two employees, I recommend a competent bookkeeper/business consultant who can keep an offline payroll system for you. No muss no fuss and you have a professional running it for you. This way you can circumvent the need for MORE software. Shoot me an email for more info
    Cheers

aprbookkeeping
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    merryfield, post: 73121 wrote:
    Hello, I would appreciate some advice regarding a payroll setup.

We have been running our cleaning business for 3 years, and use a program called instant invoice and cashbook for our book keeping… we love its simplicity.

We have just taken on a couple of staff and are not sure whether to run a paper payroll system, online or software based.

I had a look at several software packages… all seem very complex.

Online systems seem rather pricey for just one or two employees.

We are not sure whether we will ever grow larger as a business.

Do you think a paper based recording system would be a wise move?

If not, could you recommend a simple software setup?

Hi you should look at something like quickbooks as it caters for small business and is fairly simple to use. You could also hire a bookkeeper to do the work for you which makes it even simpler. You do not need to pay a great deal of money for software and some of the smaller packages are ideal for small business. Your accountant will likely use myob or quickbooks and the payroll system in myob is fairly simple to use once it is set up. If it is set up incorrectly, regardless of what package you use, it will be difficult and confusing.

Hope this helps

Sue
    APR Bookkeeping
    [email protected]

LaurenL
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hi Merryfield

Well, if you have taken on one or two employees on board, have a think about if it’s worth to pay over five hundred dollars as membership fee to one of accounting software providers such as MYOB (now it has increased to around $650 per year); or buy a software once for all but you won’t be able to update tax table later on if you are not joining membership with the company.

In my opinion, it’s wise for you to do manual payroll if you are not sure if your business will grow larger as long as you keep up all your employees’ records up to date and make a back up file every time you paid the wages to your employees.

Please make sure to pay at least 9% of super on the gross wages of each month for your employees (due date is 28th of the following month); or each quarter (28th of the forth month) to their nominated superannuation funds if their gross amount is over $450 per month.

You also need to remit PAYG withholding to ATO due on the 21st of each month for the previous month’s withholding amount for the first two months, last month will be remitted together with GST return due on the 28th of the following month of each quarter if your business is GST registered (last quarter will be extended to February due to Christmas and New Year holidays.)

Nowadays, majority businesses are using electronic device to lodge PAYG annual return with ATO. However, you still can lodge it manually. ATO will send you the blank payment summary forms and a personalised PAYG payment summary statement around May each year for you to use (you need to call ATO for the first year of using it)

Make sure that to supply the manual payment summary indicates total gross amount, any allowances etc paid and PAYG withholding amount to your employees before 14th of July each year for them to do tax return.

Not to mention but I am sure you will take care of Works Cover etc to make sure they are covered by the insurance if anyone of your employees get injured when they are performing the work…

All the best!

Regards
    Lauren

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

May I suggest our accounting software for the most basic payroll needs, it is easy to use and VERY cost effective.

http://www.nominal.com.au/product/tour

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up
    LaurenL, post: 75709 wrote:
    Hi Merryfield

Well, if you have taken on one or two employees on board, have a think about if it’s worth to pay over five hundred dollars as membership fee to one of accounting software providers such as MYOB (now it has increased to around $650 per year); or buy a software once for all but you won’t be able to update tax table later on if you are not joining membership with the company.

In my opinion, it’s wise for you to do manual payroll if you are not sure if your business will grow larger as long as you keep up all your employees’ records up to date and make a back up file every time you paid the wages to your employees.

Please make sure to pay at least 9% of super on the gross wages of each month for your employees (due date is 28th of the following month); or each quarter (28th of the forth month) to their nominated superannuation funds if their gross amount is over $450 per month.

You also need to remit PAYG withholding to ATO due on the 21st of each month for the previous month’s withholding amount for the first two months, last month will be remitted together with GST return due on the 28th of the following month of each quarter if your business is GST registered (last quarter will be extended to February due to Christmas and New Year holidays.)

Nowadays, majority businesses are using electronic device to lodge PAYG annual return with ATO. However, you still can lodge it manually. ATO will send you the blank payment summary forms and a personalised PAYG payment summary statement around May each year for you to use (you need to call ATO for the first year of using it)

Make sure that to supply the manual payment summary indicates total gross amount, any allowances etc paid and PAYG withholding amount to your employees before 14th of July each year for them to do tax return.

Not to mention but I am sure you will take care of Works Cover etc to make sure they are covered by the insurance if anyone of your employees get injured when they are performing the work…

All the best!

Regards
    Lauren

There is no reason that anyone should keep a manual payroll system these days. Packages like Paycycle offer 1 employee FREE and stepped monthly fees from there up.

If you need help with Paycycle let me know.

RapidEntryBiz
    Up

I wouldnt advise my clients to pay MORE money for a payroll system where they have a small staff, when it can be done adequately, manually, by keeping a sub ledger in the form of an Excel workbook. Simple, no fuss no muss, no extra system to maintain. It works beautifully for a small payroll if you know what you are doing. (Its easy to learn). I love Excel and everyone already has it, usually.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

We sell heaps of WagezWindow – it is only $89 and used by small business – one employee and large – up to 1000 employees.

It is widely recommended by accountants and is very easy to use. In many years I have asked customers to let me know if they find it hard to use then give me a call – no-one has ever called to say it is hard, even people who have never used any computerised system before.

RapidEntryBiz
    Up
    King, post: 77852 wrote:
    We sell heaps of WagezWindow – it is only $89

I might be tempted but the tech support fee of $80 per year, every year, though not steep, its still an extra cost so I wouldnt recommend it for payrolls of say, up to 5 people. It might suit larger payrolls.

King
    Up
    RapidEntryBiz, post: 77861 wrote:
    King, post: 77852 wrote:
    We sell heaps of WagezWindow – it is only $89

I might be tempted but the tech support fee of $80 per year, every year, though not steep, its still an extra cost so I wouldnt recommend it for payrolls of say, up to 5 people. It might suit larger payrolls.

Every accounting software charges for annual; tax table upgrades and program upgrades.

Support with WW is currently free. So it is still by far the most cost effective program out there, unless you include overseas ones that are not designed for Aust requirements

The majority of people who buy is are small business, with 5 employees +/-

lofo
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    RapidEntryBiz, post: 77764 wrote:
    Excel workbook. Simple, no fuss no muss, no extra system to maintain. It works beautifully for a small payroll if you know what you are doing. (Its easy to learn). I love Excel and everyone already has it, usually.
    I agree with this comment. Start up on Excel then move to a package when you’ve outgrown it. Payroll is not complicated if you’re a) organised and b) timely (!!!). The added bonus is that you’ll understand the process inside out when it comes to getting a system.

Running a separate payroll system from your main accounting system can be a nightmare. WYSIWYG with an Excel spreadsheet. (You might want some help from a technically minded friend setting up the a good template with a few macros, but if this is done correctly, running it is very straightforward.)

King
    Up

but excel won’t do your group certs etc.

Yes rapidentry wants the work, but lets face it a package for under $100 is way cheaper. in the long run.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.