Home – New Forums Tech talk PDF Editing Software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up
    ::

I’m after recommendations for PDF editing software. I know there’s free stuff out there (I did actually try to download one and got ‘corrupt file’ error messages).
    I’m happy to buy something but not if it’s no better than the free stuff.
    I gather there are much cheaper options than Adobe.
    What do you use, and are you happy/unhappy with it?

Sorry if this is a duplicate post – I did a search and couldn’t find any existing threads.

Thanks

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Do you want to turn docs into pdfs or turn pdfs into docs? If it is the first option pdfonline is great.

Jill
    • Total posts: 102
    Up

Ive always used CorelDraw. Import the pdf, edit graphics/text, then make a new pdf from the Corel file. Id imagine any reasonable vector based graphics program can do the same.

Only hitch if the pdf is password protected, then its not so easy.

If you have trouble importing a normal pdf though, use Distiller, open the pdf file, then choose Save As and select a*.ps (Postscript) filter to save the file. Then you can import the ps file into CorelDraw (or other vector based software), and edit, republish the edited pdf.

jan delmas
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

If you want to turn documents into pdf most printers allow you to do it. Just choose the pdf option. Most printers also allow you to decide which security options you want to use eg. cannot copy but can print.

I use an Epson RX530 printer so I’m sure the majority of other printers allow you to create pdfs as well.

Also the document software such as MS Word and Mac Pages also allow you to export documents to pdf. Choose the export function not print. I use a Mac and Pages but it doesn’t allow me to set the security of the pdf which is why I use my printer.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Jan

Dartshop
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

I use Gimp 2, open source software and extremely functional, although i still struggle with a few things. I did use Adobe photoshop, but that was a long time ago.

Google search for Gimp and try it out, its free !

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

There are not really any editors out there is the way you think of in regard to say Word documents. Basically you produce documents in your editing package then you “convert” them to PDF.

I use the following (depending on the need):
    – CutePDF writer (free, excellent, and it works as a print-to-pdf not as an editor, simple and easy to use for quick jobs)
    – PDF-Factory (inexpensive, simple, purchase it online, more powerful than CutePDF, can do some manipulating before saving, can do some batch processing)
    – Adobe Acrobat Professional (expensive – my license is owned by a big company I am consulting to – powerful, different ways to access it, allows commenting, annotating, forms, batch processing, securing etc etc)

So pick one based on what you need it to do.

Kev

Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

Thanks everybody. I will check those suggestions out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.