Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Personal blog on business website?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    DarianCulbert
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    ::

Hi my Soloists,

Is it a good idea to write personal blogs on a business website? Will clients trust the business if it is too personal?

Hope to hear your thoughts soon!
    Darian

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

I think it’s a bad idea…

My business obviously pertains to people’s weddings, what value is it to them to read about how I have lunch with my mum on the weekend?

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

I’d say it depends on what you mean by personal blog. If your ‘personal blog’ is something only your family would read, then yes, probably a bad idea.

If by ‘personal blog’ you mean your business related experiences it may be a good idea. 37 signals are masters at this, their signal to noise blog is not about 37 Signals the company, it’s more generally about design and usability. And that blog has been a big factor in their success.

‘Too personal’ is a bit subjective, but I think it comes down to the same answer. Too personal about unrelated stuff, bad idea. Personal about how your experiences have given you insight into your business or industry may be a good idea. You will have to make that call…

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    adrian_gray, post: 128281 wrote:
    If by ‘personal blog’ you mean your business related experiences it may be a good idea.
    That by default makes it a business blog rather than personal. ;)
    tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Definitely a bad idea. Your business website should convey complete and utter professionalism.

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

No, it’s not okay unless your business is all about “you”, eg. in the case of an entertainer.

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    DarianCulbert, post: 128259 wrote:
    Hi my Soloists,

Is it a good idea to write personal blogs on a business website? Will clients trust the business if it is too personal?

Hope to hear your thoughts soon!
    Darian

I don’t think so. Integrating your company’s facebook fan page into your site is a safer way to share personal stuffs.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

If you want to add some personality to your business then join Twitter, Facebook, etc. On these platforms you can show the human side of your venture.

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up

I don’t think its necessarily bad to have personal content on your business blog. It depends a bit on what you mean by “personal.”

I think some personal aspects such as having the real name, author bio and twitter link of the actual author of the post rather than just the name of the business or something generic like “admin” or “webmaster” would be considered business blogging best practices. Further, I think blogs that use a conversational (some might say “personal”) style are also more appealing and easy to read than those that use a corporate or business style.

I think adding personal content to a blog can be a great differentiator because there is only one you, making it difficult for your competitors to copy. A regular contributor to Flying Solo; Gab (seocourse), uses plenty of somewhat personal content in his blogs and seems to do quite well with it.

Of course, it depends on your target market and what you’re trying to achieve with your blog. In some cases, using personal content might help you connect and build trust with your audience while in others it might turn them off.

If the content has no relevance to your business and no conceivable value to post then it might be best put on a personal blog instead.

AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Hi

Just a bit of my experience – I think it really depends on the type of business you are in. I think if it is a personal service about you then this would work ok, however for example it wouldnt work for us because our business is too far away from the personal nature of what I would write about.

So, what we do is begin an additional Word Press (just an example) blog that is a personal blog and use that to gain a following for my personal blogging. It gives you a great extension of linking for SEO also because you can then use the personal blog for business blogging as well – so the other way around.

It is a bit more admin but I think has SEO benefits and fits the reason for personal blogging a bit better.

Hope this helps.

PS: having said that, it is a good idea with the new Google guidelines to use a business blog as an extension to your business website to create (relevant) content depth/enhancements of material on your main money site or business site.

Good luck

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Very much depends on the topic of your posts and the relevancy to your business.

IronMaiden
    • Total posts: 125
    Up

Our business blog is written in a personal tone, and I also draw from personal experiences. It give our customers an insight into who we are, and in a sense mimics how we relate to our customers when we meet them face to face. I might include anecdotes which are personal but directly related to our products or business, e.g. we designed a wrought iron gazebo for our daughter’s wedding and it’s now one of our staple products. How this item was originally designed and for whom really interests people.

That having been said, I think it really depends on your business and whether you need to portray a formal or informal presence. Is it B2B or B2C? When speaking to customers an artisan can be more informal than a marketing consultant. As such, I think a blog should reflect how we would behave and what we would say to the same people when interacting face to face.

Go Virtual Office Support
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I agree with Iron Maiden – It totally depends what your business is and whether your clients are B2B or B2C.

Personally I aim for a personal tone (although when you are talking about tax its a little hard to a) keep it interesting and b) add the personal tone) as that is who I am. BUT I would never blog to tell my page what I got up to on the weekend, as that just isn’t appropriate for my business.

tkc2012
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

I tend to write mine from a more personal perspective. Rather than just talk about my business or the industry I am in (green cleaning) I post about all sorts of semi-related things. Cycling in Adelaide — I run my business by bike, — environmentalism, etc. My clients tend to be very interested in what I have to say, as an extension of the core philosophy of my business.

My blog can be found at thekindcleaner.com.au/blog if you want to check it out. :)

DarianCulbert
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Thank you all of my friends here! I love all of your thoughts and advice!
    I am sorry for using the word “personal”. What I mean here is that I am a travel agent who organizes trips to Halong Bay for my clients and I have great time with my clients so I want to write about my experiences with clients, difficulties that I face in my daily jobs, my advices, tips… all those things should be related to my business as a travel agent!

What I was considering is the effect between a professional website and a business-friendly blog like this attached to it!
    If you go to a professional website, it looks very professional and you think in your mind that this company should be very big with many staff or well-established, but then you see some blogs and in these blogs, only one person appears as a travel agent and tells about what he thinks, what he has experienced with clients… will you still trust the service? I have two more staff but they could not use English (just help me with booking domestically) so only I will write blogs! It means only me will appear in the blogs. Will this affect my business? Do you feel hesitant if your trip is put into one person’s hand?

I am thinking about putting the blogs into my website in my signature please so maybe you can have a look and give me your thoughts please!

Thanks again for your kindness and I love you all!
    Darian

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.