Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Personal blog on business website?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    ::
    DarianCulbert, post: 128393 wrote:
    Thank you all of my friends here! I love all of your thoughts and advice!
    I am sorry for using the word “personal”. What I mean here is that I am a travel agent who organizes trips to Halong Bay for my clients and I have great time with my clients so I want to write about my experiences with clients, difficulties that I face in my daily jobs, my advices, tips… all those things should be related to my business as a travel agent!

What I was considering is the effect between a professional website and a business-friendly blog like this attached to it!
    If you go to a professional website, it looks very professional and you think in your mind that this company should be very big with many staff or well-established, but then you see some blogs and in these blogs, only one person appears as a travel agent and tells about what he thinks, what he has experienced with clients… will you still trust the service? I have two more staff but they could not use English (just help me with booking domestically) so only I will write blogs! It means only me will appear in the blogs. Will this affect my business? Do you feel hesitant if your trip is put into one person’s hand?

I am thinking about putting the blogs into my website in my signature please so maybe you can have a look and give me your thoughts please!

Thanks again for your kindness and I love you all!
    Darian

In that case, given that nature of your business, I see no issue with it.

Go Virtual Office Support
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Absolutely in that case. I think people RELY on the personal experiences when booking travel.

In reply to your question about the booking being in one persons hands, I think this actually has advantages. Especially if you intend to focus on a warm fuzzy customer experience. Nothing shatters that image more than suddenly dealing with someone who doesnt know you.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

I would be trying to make your blog as personal as possible. Still keep it mainly on topics that appeal to your audience but don’t take any advice that tells you to be ‘professional or corporate’. That’s terrible advice, no one responds well to that.

Be yourself, be different, be controversial if you are that way. People don’t want to read a boring corporate blog and people don’t like doing business with large faceless companies. This is small businesses secret weapon. Don’t be afraid to be yourself.

Everyone always told me to not be so personal on my blog because I’d never be able to sell it. I sold it for a well decent amount very easily and in the process I built up a good following on the blog because it wasn’t filled with boring corporate content.

chixfashionz
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Good idea to keep business and personal matters at arms length. Apart from affecting the professional image of your business, it might confuse potential customers as to whether they are dealing with you as opposed to a business.

Keep it business-related and perhaps have a separate blog for yourself!

DarianCulbert
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    chixfashionz, post: 128555 wrote:
    Good idea to keep business and personal matters at arms length. Apart from affecting the professional image of your business, it might confuse potential customers as to whether they are dealing with you as opposed to a business.

Keep it business-related and perhaps have a separate blog for yourself!

Yes, I am also thinking about keeping them separate from each others so maybe I will have another domain name for my blog. Is this necessary or not please?

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up

Putting the blog on a separate domain may have some advantages but it will also dilute many of the benefits you would be getting by doing it on the same domain.

Its impossible to know what the exact results of any of this will be. You can take the advice you receive in a forum like this to formulate a strategy but you won’t get real information until you actually get in there and test it out.

You can always take it away if you find it negatively affects your business

Tracey G
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

I think running a travel agency is a profession which fits well with personal stories and perspectives; they are the lifeblood of the travel experience, after all.

People love reading about the bad, good, hilarious, unexpected and memorable moments we encounter when we travel.

Some business owners inject a lot of their personality into their dealings with customers or clients. When you are a big part of your business brand, you can get away with a more personal angle on marketing and communication (which blogging is one example of).

My butcher ran the Boston Marathon. That’s got nothing to do with his business. But his customers LOVED hearing about it, because they have a strong, long-standing personal connection with him (he doesn’t blog but he tweets and has an email newsletter).

Don’t blog about having lunch with your mum. Do blog about a major, personal milestone or goal. It’s something positive and reflects positively on your character. And do blog about the fun or funny side of your business, as far as you professionally and ethically can do so.

By the way, I’ve read through this entire thread and found every suggestion to have great merit in an interesting debate. It’s also got me thinking about new ways to add a personal angle to my business blog. Thanks to everyone for that.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    NickMorris, post: 128895 wrote:
    Putting the blog on a separate domain may have some advantages but it will also dilute many of the benefits you would be getting by doing it on the same domain.

Its impossible to know what the exact results of any of this will be. You can take the advice you receive in a forum like this to formulate a strategy but you won’t get real information until you actually get in there and test it out.

You can always take it away if you find it negatively affects your business

I can’t see any advantages associated with having your blog on a different domain to be honest.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.