Home – New Forums Starting your journey Personal details on whois

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paul B.
    • Total posts: 119
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I I recently registered my domain names with netregistry and I fond that all my personal information is made publicly through whois. This is rediculous. What options do I have other than providing fake details?

Ytelco
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

This is standard practice Paul (and yes, very annoying).

Most registrars have a privacy option however there will generally be an associated cost. Netrigistry has details of their privacy service here: http://www.netregistry.com.au/domain-names/domain-privacy/

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up
    Paul B., post: 130210 wrote:
    Hi,

I I recently registered my domain names with netregistry and I fond that all my personal information is made publicly through whois. This is rediculous. What options do I have other than providing fake details?

Hi Paul,

If you weren’t already aware, chances are if you’ve registered a business name your details will also be published (such as residential address if operating from home) on the business names database. Coincidentally, there’s just been an update posted on another thread on what you might be able to do about such details appearing on the business name database.

As to your domain name – are their particular details you are concerned about? You might be able to change your address if it’s showing a personal one to a PO Box for example. You mentioned you registered through Netregistry – they actually have a page about making the domain details private. Generally, any changes need to be done through the listed Registrar so I would suggest reading through their page and going through their process.

Anon
    • Total posts: 96
    Up
    Ytelco, post: 130211 wrote:
    This is standard practice Paul (and yes, very annoying).

Most registrars have a privacy option however there will generally be an associated cost. Netrigistry has details of their privacy service here: http://www.netregistry.com.au/domain-names/domain-privacy/

But just on this there is only privacy for .com, if you have a .com.au you will always have your personal details shown. I know some people make up a fake alias but not sure how legal this is.

Paul B.
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

Thanks for your help guys. In regards to .com or .com.au I have both registered. I cant believe that it is standard practice to make your personal details public – seems odd.

Anyway will have a read and see what I can do – cheers!

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

Netregistry have no choice All Australian domains are required to list details, if you buy a .com or .net you can pay to have an alias.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

As Jacquie said same deal with business rego.

If its your home address that’s a problem being published get a po box.

Steve

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

I’m not sure what the deal is with the .au name space, but I wouldn’t be putting fake details on there, as for some name spaces that is grounds for domain deletion.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

The reason why I always use a PO Box. Except for ASIC who are not doing the right thing, all other places are fine with it.

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

I think it’s a good and bad thing. It’s bad for those who want privacy – but the whole point of the exercise is to keep our websites clear of scammers :)

.au sites need an ABN and personal details to be registered, so you are sure you can trust an owner of a .com.au site. The other addresses that can be registered with no identity can be a breeding ground for questionable characters. It’s a bit scary for customers because they can just take money and move without anyone being able to find out who they were without great difficulty.

Although it’s a pain to begin with, in the grand scheme of things I’m all for it :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.