Home – New Forums Starting your journey Pet food import and sell in Australia

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jackmate
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

hi guys,
    I have just started my business to sell imported Dog Food which is very unique and is not available in Australia.
    The product is very popular in US,Europe.
    I have got the import permit already for goods to arrive here.The product will be 1st in Australia and i have exclusive deal with the supplier for selling in Australia retail or wholesale. i am planning to launch it online selling via product brand website,ebay,amazon etc.
    Also i want them to be stocked through petshop,pet retailer like pet barn,pet circle etc and eventually coles,woolies,iga etc.
    How do I approach these shops?
    I do see lot of individual Pet food startup product are being stocked by pet retailer.
    Pls advise me what your approach would be on this.
    If any one in pet food products already,pls advise your experience on this journey.
    Thanks
    Jack

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some advice to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186
    Up

I know metcash, which supplies IGA, and a large sellection of stores does have contacts for adding your product to the suppliers list

Metcash: iga and all the other brands that full under it
    https://mars-metcdn-com.global.ssl.fastly.net/content/uploads/sites/101/2018/02/16090154/national-buyer-contact-list-feb-2018.pdf

woolworths is a bit more work though you need to apply for membership and approval as a vendor. generally this is why a lot of startups choose IGA for distrobuting new products as its easier to get on the shelves.

woolworths wowlink:
    https://www.wowlink.com.au/wps/portal/!ut/p/c1/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3izQB8jJydDRwMDA2djA6Mg_zDHsNBgYwN3A6B8pFm8n79RqJuJp6GhhZmroYGRmYeJk0-Yp4G7izEB3eEg-5BU-FuaAVU4-QZ6upgAWc5mEHl85oPkDXAARwN9P4_83FT9gtwIg8yAdEUAp9Gk3Q!!/dl2/d1/L0lDU0lKSWdrbUEhIS9JRFJBQUlpQ2dBek15cXchL1lCSkoxTkExTkk1MC01RncvN182UUwyQkIxQTAwMEMzMDJST1ZBVlVTMzBLNy8xX19fXzY!/?WCM_PORTLET=PC_7_6QL2BB1A000C302ROVAVUS30K7_WCM&WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/cmgt/wcm/connect/Content%20Library%20-%20WOWLink/wowlink/getting+started/workwithus

jackmate
    Up

Thanks mate for providing Metcash contact list.
    Should I just email the email the category manager about stocking my products in their IGA stores?
    Do you have experience working with them?
    How do they work ?
    Thanks

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy and congrats

Runic has given you some great advice, from my experience when dealing with the Coles and Woolies and if you have not had this experience before, i generally suggest people speak to agents to get your products moving with them.

These guys can generally help you position yourself, profit models, markups and so forth as well as the initial sell ins and manage ongoing relationships for you.. Take it from me, these guys are tough work – its a whole new language and some that think their products are appealing (or profitable) for supermarkets sometimes are forced to re-evaluate once they have their initial discussions..

This is not to be said as a put off, just your positioning with someone like woolies as opposed to a local pet store is VERY VERY different…

Agents generally take a % and lock you down for a set amount of time for margin on a certain period that you sell in, although i can tell you from experience it is well well worth it – especially if you are not a natural salesperson or do not have the existing contact base..

Note: your stock holding and resources do need to be abundant though – that being said, saying you have already done ground work for exclusivity and have product already inbound – you are obviously ready for the journey ahead ;)

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    jackmate
    Up

Thanks Lucas for your response and advise.
    Appreciate it.

The Bearded Lawyer
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi Jackmate,

Are you still looking for contact details? I can pass on the details for the Merchandise Manager at Petbarn if you like.

I’m not sure what the etiquette is on this site- can you send me an email or direct message?

Regards,

– Sami

jackmate
    Up

Hi Sami,
    Yes pls ,if you have pls send me private message of the contact you have .
    Thanks a lot .

The Bearded Lawyer, post: 263098, member: 112887 wrote:
    Hi Jackmate,

Are you still looking for contact details? I can pass on the details for the Merchandise Manager at Petbarn if you like.

I’m not sure what the etiquette is on this site- can you send me an email or direct message?

Regards,

– Sami

The Bearded Lawyer
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi Jackmate,

Private Message sent (I think). Let me know how you go.

regards,
    -Sami

jackmate
    Up

Guys,
    I have launched my product finally ,it’s not secret anymore,it’s Himalayan Dog Chew which is a most popular dog chew in USA and Europe ,1st time available in Australia from us http://www.superdogchew.com.au
    It’s a natural organic dog chew treat made using ancient Himalayan process.
    I have started getting few orders online ,but since this product is quiet unknown here ,I have emailed some of Pet shop chain here like pet barn ,pet stock and also IGA to stock my product but no response from any of them .
    I am guessing they are big business and ignore my emails.
    My goal is to sell these through pet store ,dog grooming business,pet vet around Australia and New Zealand .
    Pls advise how to take this product and make a viral and popular in Australia like its in USA.
    Thanks for any feedback and suggestions In advance.
    Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.