Home – New Forums Money matters Phone call from PayPal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Ok, so i was sceptical to start with although i just received a phone call from PayPal… An Aussie VOICE! wow, really..

They are on a drive, by the looks of it, to get people accepting PayPal on their own personal web sites if they are not already. This guy had done his homework, checked out my paypal account and what goes through it, checked out my web site and what i accept and the likes.. Very courteous actually, i was impressed.. Working on the premise that accepting paypal will increase our conversions..

Sent us stats, docs, how to’s and the works.. Even mentioned that he can negotiate rates a little (although it is set) depending on what we put through our merchant facility.maybe a 0.40% shave although could be as high as 0.90%,,,

Anyways, just thought it was interesting they are on the front foot to try and sign people across.. i struggle with taking them on board considering they are more than double my merchant rate :( and i honestly do not believe they would increase our conversion rate..

If anyone has insight into maybe why i should consider, although this is not the intent of the post, i am willing to listen..

Take care everyone

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I don’t take online payments so not my realm, and the higher fee’s would slow me down from using them a little.

But one benefit is I still know a lot of people who dont like to use their credit cards online, but will happily use a Paypal account, so it would only be from that perspective you may consider it, but it would really depend on do you think you are not getting cliental for that reason, otherwise I guess why pay more.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

It can’t hurt to also accept Paypal as a payment option. I for one buy thousands of dollars worth of stuff online every month ( I live in a small town and it is easier to buy most of my business and personal needs online) and I will only purchase through Paypal for its ease of use and buyer protections.

I know many people who will only use Paypal and more buyers will prefer it from now on with their effective TV marketing campaign that they are doing at the moment.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

Paypal truly has an advantage when it comes to trust in the ecommerce world.

I’d suggest you at least try it, even for a short time, and see what impact, if any, it has on your sales and cart abandonment. There’s no commitment, and it’s a fairly simple thing to implement, so why not?

I’ve always been of the opinion that making it easy for people to give you money is a good idea in business!

Cheers,
    John

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Was it for PayPal or PayPal Payflow Pro? (PayPal being the normal “log in to your account” or pay with a card, PayFlow Pro being like a merchant account)

Without giving too much away, yes they’re quite proactive, they have an Aussie team that look to bring on and convert customers etc..

Offering PayPal as well does definitely raise conversions. Some people just prefer to use PayPal whether it be it’s easier to remember an email address and password, they want to spend money that they have sitting in an account from maybe selling on eBay..

I think adding eBay to your website would increase conversions, as long as you’ve got the profit margin to accommodate that extra 1 percent when they use PayPal.

What costs you more money? Totally missing out on a sale or missing 1 percent on a sale you do make?

aaron.miller
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

I offer both credit card and paypal on my site. I sell satin ribbons for things like body sashes, school place ribbons and animal shows.
    The personal customers are buying a ribbon as a one off, it might be to wrap their wedding invites or for some sashes perhaps.
    I find that ~90% of personal shoppers use paypal, but only about 5% of business customers use paypal.

I don’t know what the op sells, but I would definetly add it to my site, it costs nothing to have it.

I received the phone call as well, but they hadn’t looked at my site as I already offered payapla nd paypal express.

Aaron

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    aaron.miller, post: 187615 wrote:
    I
    I don’t know what the op sells, but I would definetly add it to my site, it costs nothing to have it.

Not quiet a correct comment, sure if it brings in new business it is a benefit.

But, if it just means that all the business that would currently pay via the current arrangments, now decide to use the Paypal facility, his merchant fee’s have doubled for existing custom.

So its not just a case of take it for the sake of having it, it could cost you some of your margin.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I’d agree that it’s definitely worth having Paypal as a 2nd payment option, it brings trust to your website.
    They have a good product and a good brand name.

However I’ve found their sale people and customer representatives to be clueless about their own products. They will offer you products that don’t actually exist and it’s made more confusing in that they have different products using the same name between the US and Australia.
    I’ve lost many an hour trying to sort out what they’ve offered one of my clients, which service my client actually subscribed to and which service I can actually use.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Ok,

After spending the last 45 minutes preparing docs and paperwork for a paypal dispute, i now remember why i DO NOT LIKE TAKING IT! other than the additional margins they take..

Please excuse my comments as it is being said just after feeling a little frustrated with a process the protects the BUYER at all costs, regardless of the simplicity of a resolution. It is great to see that buyers are protected, from rogue sellers although it is frustrating that sellers can be prejudged as being wrong regardless of status, history or anything else…

Allow me to explain (and please note this is not related to FURNITURE, it is a separate ebay business i run that ships internationally and locally).. Basically a buyer purchased something from my ebay store and after much discussion about shipping rates opted for SEAMAIL (OMG half price although no tracking and takes up to 2 months to ship to Italy)… tbc

Shipping explanation…
    We offer seamail as paypal has advised tracking is not MANDATORY to win disputes although helps significantly so we now keep all receipts (of course) as well as photograph said item that we shipped with all corresponding information from the receipt – meaning showing amount paid, dates, times, weight, zones, shipping address, id recorded, customs declaration form which has ID number that is also printed on receipt and so forth.

cont…..

So having elected seamail, and you may see the problem here with disputes, and understanding there is a 2 month delivery time the buyer has lodged a dispute with Paypal for item not received 4 weeks into the delivery process. Why? because this is the cut off time that they can lodge this with Paypal…

As of now, they are now holding my funds to cover this claim and even though the customer put in the dispute “HELLO, SORRY FOR NOT BEEN SUBJECT TO A DISPUTE, THE DEADLINE EXPIRES TODAY DO NOT RISK OF LOSING MONEY OR PURCHASE OF COURSE I’ll wait ‘STILL THE ARRIVAL OF THE PACKAGE AND THEN blot’ CHALLENGE”… ARGH! FRUSTRATING……

Process is now under way, i have escalated the situation and provided all relevant information because once this dispute it open he has another 20 days before he has to close or claim it.. based on his thought process, he is protecting himself and if items not received in those 20 days he will claim the monies back.. And it is extremely unlikely it will arrive within these 20 days as it is a 56 day delivery time and the entire paypal process is to be finalised within a total of 50 days (so after he closes parcel may still arrive)..

Sorry, just frustrated and for the long post..

Less Learnt:
    Do not ship internationally via seamail and charge the customers like a wounded bull the FULL RATE of trackable parcels internationally.. although this will lose me many customers as the cost of international shipping for 1-3kg parcels is significant…

Lucky i take pictures,, hopefully they get me out of the claim..

Another side lesson.. i have finally learnt how to pay my eBay fees via AMEX! claim more points.. WOOT WOOT.. LOL..

Thanks for listening,, if anyone knows any other ways to protect oneself from paypal disputes or has their own experiences please feel free to let me know.. especially if i am overlooking something..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Yes, it a lesson learnt. You should never offer seamail as it can take up to 4 months to deliver, and you can’t blame a buyer for wanting to protect their payment, they generally don’t know if you are a honest seller and may just take their money.

Paypal has good protection for sellers as well as buyers as long as you know the terms and conditions.

Buyers have up to 45 days to lodge a dispute, then can wait up to another 20 days to escalate it. This should give any item enough time to arrive (except with seamail). As long as you keep your receipt as proof of postage (and some overseas countries need proof of delivery), you should win any dispute. It is all about keeping your paperwork up to date.

The fact that you sent with seamail may cause you to lose the dispute, I may be wrong.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Thanks

Understand what you are saying, i was just trying to be nice to the buyer as he requested less and i will now have to pay.. anyways, as said had spoken to paypal ages ago and they advised is ok if kept all info.. lets see if it pans out that way..

Sent then pics of parcel after australia post put everything on it as well as receipt that cross referenced everything.. fingers crossed…

NEVER seamail again.. Its funny though, the account i run is a 100% positive feedback as well as sitting at score of 1654 with over 1962 positive feedbacks received and yet that has NO MERIT at all with paypal.. buyer rules, unfortunately… :(

Its now a waiting game..

Jason

bb1
    Participant
    Up

Like you I have a sideline bisiness selling product on Ebay, and I will only offer customers shipping with tracking. If they ask for the cheaper seamail option with no tracking, I am happy to lose the sale, and not run the risk of an issue. Its not worth the hassle.

StevenMelbourne
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

PayPal is very trusted online so should probably consider it as an option, it’s better to let your customers have more options

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.