Home – New Forums Other discussions Phone etiquette for home based businesses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    ::

Just had to share this with everyone….

As a home based business it can be hard to separate work from home. But it really pays for the whole family to have an idea of how to answer the phone.

I received a very competitive quote for some lanyards and id cards and rang to ask if I could pick up a couple of samples. What I am presuming to be a teenager answered the phone. The conversation went something like this…

“Yo!”

Me “Is this xxx xxx?

“Yeah! Who are you?”

Me “Wendy from Executive Accessories can I speak to John please”

“Dad’s on holiday”

Me “John gave me a quote for lanyards and I would like to pick up some samples tomorrow. Is there anyone else I can speak to please”

Shouts to someone else “She wants samples”

2nd person mumbles “Who is she?”

“Who are you?”

I give my details again.

2nd person mumbles “Tell ’em mums out and she’ll send ’em through later”

“Mums out she’s send ’em through later”

“Send what through, I just want to pick up some samples tomorrow morning if that’s possible”

“Who are you?”

I could go on, but I think you get the gist!

RAds
    • Total posts: 126
    Up

A majority of businesses in our area work from home, there’s far more businesses than shops in the commercial area. I’m quite used to getting a brusque “hello” “er, is this XX?” “yes”.

But lack of professionalism isn’t limited to home-based businesses. I’ve spent over 6 weeks now trying to get a quote for some windows, last year it took 4 months to get a quote from a plumber and now about 2 weeks trying to get a quote from an electrician. They either don’t call back (no matter how many times I call them) or they want to see the house first. Until I get the quotes I can’t get a loan, so there IS no house. When there is only one plumber, one electrician and one window company in the area they have you over a barrel and can obviously pick and choose jobs, unless you are willing to pay travel rates for an out-of-area tradie.

I only had joy with the plumber once his wife realised how often he was missing calls – they are a young couple and haven’t been in business very long. She confiscated his phone, and he (ok, she) has been fairly easy to get hold of since she took over. And now I finally have my quote for $15,000, and since he realised its a BIG job we want, they’ve been even easier to get hold of …

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

Yes, you’ve gotta laugh! I’ve experienced this too, and it’s totally off putting, especially because it’s so easy and cheap now to have a separate line for business and divert that to voicemail, a mobile, a phone answering service, Skype or any other number of technologies when you’re not available – why leave your business in the hands of your kids?

It’s almost, but not quite, as bad as the service you get when you ring Telstra or Optus’ “customer service” lines!

ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    onsiteTECHS, post: 68102 wrote:
    It’s almost, but not quite, as bad as the service you get when you ring Telstra or Optus’ “customer service” lines!

Ah….good point!

And nearly as bad as that really cute but extremely annoying toddler that picks up the phone and chatters away while you’re saying “OK go get Daddy now please”

John C.
    Up
    ExecAccess, post: 68103 wrote:
    Ah….good point!

And nearly as bad as that really cute but extremely annoying toddler that picks up the phone and chatters away while you’re saying “OK go get Daddy now please”

I’ll take the toddler over the voice recognition system and Indian call center any time!!!

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    onsiteTECHS, post: 68108 wrote:
    I’ll take the toddler over the voice recognition system and Indian call center any time!!!

Lol!

In the UK I used my personal number for business and it was a nightmare – clients calling all times of the day because they assumed that since I work from home I was available whenever the liked.

This time round I have a Skype-In number which I can either answer on my PC or, which is what I mainly do, have it divert to my mobile. I have a different ring tone set so I know when it’s someone I know versus someone I don’t (who is potentially a client) so I can answer in the appropriate manner.

Much easier, plus Skype comes with free voicemail!

John C.
    Up
    bridiej, post: 68129 wrote:
    Lol!

In the UK I used my personal number for business and it was a nightmare – clients calling all times of the day because they assumed that since I work from home I was available whenever the liked.

This time round I have a Skype-In number which I can either answer on my PC or, which is what I mainly do, have it divert to my mobile. I have a different ring tone set so I know when it’s someone I know versus someone I don’t (who is potentially a client) so I can answer in the appropriate manner.

Much easier, plus Skype comes with free voicemail!

How do you find the quality of the diverted Skype calls Bridie?

The reason I moved away from my VOIP solution was because the call quality was quite bad – echo and break up – although I’m not sure if that was just the particular provider I was with (MyNetfone). I do use VOIP for my personal home phone via my ISP, and don’t have many problems with it (although I don’t divert that phone, and I’m not sure if that was the cause of my problems).

Cheers,
    John

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

This is one reason I keep my home and work numbers separated by using my mobile for work. I turn it off at night so overseas people can’t ring me and wake me up.

bridiej
    Up
    onsiteTECHS, post: 68138 wrote:
    How do you find the quality of the diverted Skype calls Bridie?

Cheers,
    John

Hi John

I find it just as clear as if they were phoning my mobile direct.

HTH :)

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

So can you divert calls from VOIP to a mobile for example? Sorry this is threadjacking a little.

My home phone is my business number, luckily no kids to worry about answering the phone, and I always answer good morning/good afternoon Carl speaking. My home voicemail also has AgentMail as the answering message.

John C.
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 68159 wrote:
    So can you divert calls from VOIP to a mobile for example? Sorry this is threadjacking a little.

My home phone is my business number, luckily no kids to worry about answering the phone, and I always answer good morning/good afternoon Carl speaking. My home voicemail also has AgentMail as the answering message.

Yes from most of the VOIP providers I’ve seen, you can log on to the account management tool and do a direct diversion to any number you like – most of them even allow you to divert to multiple numbers at the same time, or to divert to a list of numbers one at a time. To be honest, I’ve never given it a proper chance, as I had a bad experience with the Mynetfone call quality. That was probably an indication of the budget service, rather than the technology.

John C.
    Up
    bridiej, post: 68146 wrote:
    Hi John

I find it just as clear as if they were phoning my mobile direct.

HTH :)

Thanks Bridie, that’s very helpful. I’ll give Skype a try based on that.

Cheers,
    John

bridiej
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 68159 wrote:

Yes, you can.

With Skype I have to purchase credit to do so – as you’re essentially paying for the cost of the call from Skype to your mobile – but it’s relatively cheap.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.